||This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (February 2014)|
|Preview release||0.9.581 / 19 January 2011|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS|
|Platform||Java Platform, Standard Edition|
|License||GNU GPLv3 (but partly closed-source)|
JDownloader is a download manager, written in Java, which allows the automatic downloading of files and split files from one-click hosting sites such as RapidShare. JDownloader supports the use of premium accounts. Certain parts of JDownloader are open source, but other parts are closed-source.
JDownloader is better known in Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries. As of December 2009[update] the program's website is in the top 1000 sites by traffic from Spain. The German online magazine, Chip.de designated it "newcomer of the year" for 2009 after it ranked among top 50 downloads with over half a million downloads for the year.
Since mid-2012, there have been multiple complaints that JDownloader's installer installs adware without the user's consent. The JDownloader installation contains hard to remove AdWare, as it was confirmed by several sources, including the developer's own forums.
In June 2013, parts of JDownloader were considered illegal by a German Court. These parts never made it into an official build, but were present in a few nightly builds.
Contrary to the license, some source files are not publicly available. The developers stated that the license may change—the program will remain open source, but will get a license which allows closed-source parts.
|This section relies on references to primary sources. (October 2012)|
- Platform independent. (Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.); runs on Java 1.5 or higher
- 24-hour support
- Download several files in parallel
- Download with multiple connections
- Can automatically solve some CAPTCHAs with its own OCR module (JAntiCaptcha)
- Automatic extractor (including password list search) (RAR archives)
- Decrypt RSDF, CCF and DLC Container files
- About 300 decrypt plugins for many services. For example, sj.org, UCMS, WordPress, and RLSLog.
- Supports about 110 one-click hosters
- YouTube, Vimeo, clipfish video and MP3 download
- Can automatically acquire a new IP address to save waiting time (1400 routers supported)
- Web update
- Integrated package manager for additional modules (e.g., Web interface, Shutdown)
- Theme support
The user specified download links are split into packages to enable individual pausing and continuing of downloads. The program can also be configured to unpack split RAR archives automatically after download.
JDownloader supports the RapidShare "waiting time" and CAPTCHA recognition, enabling batch downloads without user input. Premium users of one-click-host sites have the added advantage of using multiple connections per downloaded file, which accelerates the download in most cases. It also supports Metalink, a format for listing multiple mirrors. Software updates and minor patches are released frequently, and by default JDownloader will update itself upon initialization.
- "JDownloader is Open Source? - I do not think so!" (in German). 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "JDownloader official documentation" (in English). 2008-01-18. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- "jdownloader.org". Alexa. 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-25.
- (German) Michael Humpa (2 January 2010), Download-Charts 2009, 50. Platz: JDownloader 588.896 Downloads Chip.de
- "JD Community – Jdownloader installer contains Adware" (in English). 2012-12-23. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "Discussion at MajorGeeks forums".
- "Details and removal instruction at Spybot forums".
- "JDownloader Court Ruling Worries Open Source Software Developers". TorrentFreak. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Jdownloader official documentation" (in English). 2009-10-12. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- "JDownloader official documentation" (in English). jdownloader.org. 2008-09-28. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- (German) JDownloader: One-Click-Hoster für jedermann, gulli.com, 2009-08-29, (interview with one of the developers)
- (Spanish) JDownloader: un Ares para Rapidshare, El Diario del Centro del País, 12 Feb 2009
- (Spanish) Descargas cómodas en RapidShare o Megaupload, PC Actual, issue 214, 3 Mar 2009