Jake Lloyd, 2007
March 5, 1989 |
Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.
Jake Lloyd (born March 5, 1989) is an American former actor who gained worldwide fame when he was chosen by George Lucas to play the young Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, the first film in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. He reprised this role in five subsequent Star Wars video games.
Life and career
Lloyd is best known for his performances in the films Jingle All the Way and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Lloyd is also known for his recurring roles as Jimmy Sweet in ER, and Young Angelo in The Pretender. He previously guest-starred in the show as a character named Ronny Collins. He also appeared in the 1998 TV film Host.
After portraying Anakin in a chain of related video games, Lloyd retired from acting, citing bullying on the part of classmates and the stress of doing up to 60 interviews a day as his reasons for doing so. He left Hollywood for Chicago, where by 2012, he had finished studying film and video at Columbia College Chicago. He destroyed his Star Wars memorabilia, and does not watch the films because he says they are too "creepy". He continues to make appearances, however, at sci-fi and comic-book festivals. However, there was a rumor that Lloyd auditioned for the role of Ender Wiggin in the film Ender's Game, but it was feared that fans of Ender's Game would judge him for his role in the Star Wars film.
|1996||Unhook the Stars||J.J.|
|1996||Jingle All the Way||Jamie Langston|
|1996||Apollo 11||Mark Armstrong||also known as "Apollo 11: The Movie"|
|1998||Hosts||Jack||Virtual Obsession in the UK|
|1999||Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace||Anakin Skywalker||Lead role
Young Artist Award for Best Supporting Actor Ten Years or Younger
Nominated—Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor
|1999||Star Wars Episode I: Racer||Anakin Skywalker||Main role|
|2000||Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles||Anakin Skywalker||voice|
|2001||Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds||Anakin Skywalker (Episode 1)||voice|
|2001||Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing||Anakin Skywalker|
|2002||Star Wars Racer Revenge||Anakin Skywalker (Episode 1)||voice|
|1996||ER||Jimmy Sweet||"Dead of Winter" (Season 2, Episode 11)
"The Right Thing" (Season 2, Episode 14)
"A Shift in the Night" (Season 2, Episode 18)
"Take These Broken Wings" (Season 2, Episode 21)
|1996||The Pretender||Ronny Collins||"Flyer" (Season 1, Episode 3)|
|1996–1999||The Pretender||Young Angelo||(4 episodes)|
- "Jake Lloyd Biography (1989–)". Film Reference. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Star Wars: Biography – Jake Lloyd". StarWars.com. Archived from the original on February 13, 2008. Retrieved December 31, 2008.
- "Mixed blessings of child stars". The Hindu. July 3, 2004.
- "Actor who played Anakin Skywalker as child swears off 'Star Wars' for good" NBC News. March 9, 2012
- "Columbia College Chicago". CityTownInfo.com. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Card, Orson Scott (1999). "Talk City Chat". Hatrack River. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jake Lloyd.|
- Jake Lloyd at the Internet Movie Database
- Jake Lloyd Star Wars biography at StarWars.com
- Jake Lloyd – 10 years After Ep One – with Sci Fi Pi at the Wayback Machine (archived July 24, 2009)
- The Force Is Not With Him: Anakin Skywalker 10 Years Later at the Wayback Machine (archived July 28, 2009)
|Anakin Skywalker actor