James McCallum (cyclist)
|Full name||James McCallum|
|Nickname||Jimmy Mac, The King of Scotland|
27 April 1979 |
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||74 kg (163 lb)|
|Current team||NFTO Pro Cycling|
|Discipline||Track and road|
City of Edinburgh RC
| Commonwealth Games
|Infobox last updated on
30 April 2014
James McCallum (born 27 April 1979 in Uddingston/Bellshill, Glasgow) is a Scottish former racing cyclist who last rode for the NFTO Pro Cycling squad. He represented Scotland in the Team Pursuit, Points & Scratch Races at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, and again in 2006 in Melbourne in the Scratch, Points & Road Races, winning a bronze medal in the Scratch race.
Until 2007, between racing and training, McCallum worked night shifts as a nurse. He is currently the Scottish Cycling Coordinator, combining the job with his racing and training, working to promote cycling in Scotland. McCallum's Grandfather was a cyclist before him, but McCallum dabbled in many sports before settling on cycling, at one point he was a gymnast.
He recently joined the Champions in Schools projects that helps to inspire Scotland's youth to follow a pathway to good health and sport. James now runs his own coaching consultancy - Mach 10 training systems.
James has won numerous Ingliston Criteriums. So many that he has lost count after eight rounds and two series overall victories.
- 1st Scottish National Track Championships, Kilo
- 3rd British National Track Championships, Team Pursuit (with Richard Chapman, David Lowe & Ross Muir)
- 3rd Scratch Race (20km), Commonwealth Games
- 1st British National Circuit Race Championships
- 1st Smithfield Nocturne
- 2nd British National Derny Championships
- 3rd Scottish National Circuit Race Championships
- 2nd Smithfield Nocturne
- Swarbrick, Susan (10 April 2013). "McCallum focused on ending his career in style in Glasgow". HeraldScotland.com. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Statistics on sportscotland.org.uk
- Renton, Colin (18 September 2013). "Cyclist James McCallum signs for NFTO team". Edinburgh Evening News (Johnston Press). Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Commonwealth Games Official website
- James McCallum Training Update, Larry Hickmott British Cycling 15 March 2006
- McCallum on track after nearly quitting Martin Greig, The Herald 10 September 2007
- McCallum triumphs in British Championship Gerry McManus 20 June 2007
- Henrys, Colin (6 June 2014). "Pearl Izumi Tour Series 2014: Tobyn Horton sprints to Canary Wharf success". Roadcycling UK. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Scotland National Track Championships cyclingnews.com 22 July 2001
- "Smithfield Nocturne 2007". londonnocturne.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Smithfield Nocturne". British Cycling. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Wales Open Criterium". British Cycling. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Blain wins wet and wild Rutland-Melton CiCLE Classic". Cycling Weekly (IPC Media). 29 April 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Renton, Colin (9 June 2014). "James McCallum continues fine form ahead of Games". Edinburgh Evening News. Retrieved 18 June 2014.