Jarren Benton in 2013.
|Birth name||Jarren Giovanni Benton|
October 26, 1981 |
Decatur, Georgia, United States
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Associated acts||Dizzy Wright, Hopsin, SwizZz, Rittz|
Jarren Giovanni Benton (born October 26, 1981), known simply as Jarren Benton is an American rapper from Decatur, Georgia. In early 2012, he signed to rapper Hopsin's independent record label Funk Volume and released a mixtape called Freebasing with Kevin Bacon in June 2012. A year later, on June 11, 2013 he released his debut studio album My Grandma's Basement, which received positive critical reviews and debuted at number 152 on the Billboard 200.
Benton was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, not far from his hometown of Decatur. From his early youth, Benton aspired to be a rapper. He told XXL, "I started trying to rap pretty young and the shit was kind of whack and then I got a little older and I started going around Atlanta performing at certain showcases. I got a little name for myself, but it was kind of hard in Atlanta, just due to the type of music that comes from there, which is you know, typical down south shit." He credits his musical influences as Redman, Wu-Tang Clan, Eminem, Ras Kass, Nine Inch Nails, OutKast, Chino XL, Deftones, and Marilyn Manson. Prior to his musical success, Benton worked a variety jobs, from being a dental assistant to an exterminator.
2009–2012: Mixtapes and signing with Funk Volume
On August 5, 2009 Jarren Benton released his first official mixtape titled, Jarren Benton: The Mixtape, produced entirely by The Beatgods. On January 25, 2011 Benton released a collaboration mixtape with producer SMKA. The mixtape titled Huffing Glue With Hasslehoff was supported by the lead single "Get a Load of Me". He soon begun to gain attention after the release of his song "Skitzo", which has received over 1.3 million hits on YouTube. American underground rapper Hopsin would watch the video, and passed it on to Funk Volume CEO Dame Ritter. Ritter would contact Benton a few months later and then in May 2012, Hopsin and Ritter signed Jarren Benton to their Funk Volume record label. He had previously been courted by industry heavyweights such as Erick Sermon and No ID for major label record deals, with labels such as Def Jam Recordings and Interscope Records, however he chose to sign with the independent record label label Funk Volume. His first project on Funk Volume, a mixtape titled Freebasing with Kevin Bacon would be released on June 28, 2012. The mixtape featured guest appearances from Dizzy Wright, 2 Chainz, Rittz, Freeway, Gangsta Boo, Jon Connor, and Planet VI among others.
2012-present: My Grandma's Basement
In late 2012 he toured internationally with Hopsin, Dizzy Wright, SwizZz and DJ Hoppa for two-months, which included 54 shows in 60 days in the United States, Europe, and Australia. He explained his mindset going into his debut album saying, "This album has a different vibe. It’s a lot more personal stuff so people can learn who Jarren is." He also said it will feature a more refined production sound that translates more to his ambitions of being a household name. On June 11, 2013 Jarren Benton would release his debut studio album My Grandma's Basement on Funk Volume. The album featured guest appearances by Dizzy Wright, Hopsin, R.A. The Rugged Man, Vinnie Paz and SwizZz. My Grandma's Basement debuted and peaked at number 152 on the Billboard 200 and number four on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart. He released music videos for multiple songs including "Go Off", "Life In the Jungle" and "We On (My Own Dick)" among others.
On August 2, 2013, R.A. The Rugged Man released the remix to his song "Underground Hitz" featuring Hopsin and Jarren Benton. From August 1–August 19, 2013 Benton toured the United States on the Grandma's Basement Tour, his first solo headlining tour. Then, Benton went on "The Life And Times Tour" with Strange Music rapper Rittz and Atlantic Records rapper Snow Tha Product, the tour went from October 31, 2013 to December 8, 2013. Benton also featured on Hopsin's third studio album Knock Madness, on the song "Who's There" with Funk Volume label mate Dizzy Wright. Benton received the most fan-votes votes, earning a spot on the 2014 XXL freshman class and was named the "People's Champ". He was the oldest rapper that had ever been selected to the list at 32. From April 9 to June 28, 2014, Benton is touring with Tech N9ne, Freddie Gibbs and Krizz Kaliko on the Independent Grind Tour 2014. He is also currently working on his second studio album.
Jarren Benton is married and has two children.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|My Grandma's Basement||152||16||12|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was not released in that territory.|
|The Beatgods Present... Jarren Benton: The Mixtape||
|Huffing Glue with Hasselhoff||
|Freebasing with Kevin Bacon||
As lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Skitzo"||2012||—||—||—||Freebasing With Kevin Bacon|
|"Funk Volume 2013"
(with Swizzz, Hopsin, Dizzy Wright & DJ Hoppa)
|"Razor Blades and Steak Knives"||—||—||—||My Grandma's Basement|
|"Gimmie the Loot"||2014||—||—||—||TBA|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|"Don't Mind If I Do"||2012||Futurisitc, Dizzy Wright||Chasing Down A Dream|
|"Hotel Stripper"||Dizzy Wright||The First Agreement|
|"Shotgun Kisses"||Dizzy Wright, Irv Da Phenom|
|"Fuck You Too"||Planet VI, 2 Chainz||N/A|
|"Y.B.W. (Young Black and Winning)" (Remix)||2013||Irv da Phenom, Dizzy Wright||Los Kangeles LP|
|"1 O'Clock Jump"||Stevie Stone||2 Birds 1 Stone|
|"Step Yo Game Up"||Dizzy Wright, Torey Lanez||The Golden Age|
|"Meditation Obliteration"||Bloodstepp||Bass And Bubblegum|
|"Who's There"||Hopsin, Dizzy Wright||Knock Madness|
|"Get Your Weight Up"||2014||Goldyard||Fuck Culture E.P.|
|"Meditation Obliteration (Bent(on) Destruction Remix)"||Bloodstepp||Grand Theft Ufo: The Remixes|
|"Hundred Percent Legit (Gmix)"||Knifer, WC||Hundred Percent Legit (Gmix)|
|"Rage"||Dillenger Escape Plan||Con’s EP Vol 2|
- Jarren Benton | Funk VolumeFunk Volume
- The Come Up: Jarren Benton - XXL
- Twitter / funkvolume: HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jarren Benton!
- The Come Up: Jarren Benton - Page 2 of 7 - XXL
- The Come Up: Jarren Benton - Page 3 of 7 - XXL
- Source Exclusive: Jarren Benton Speaks On His Funk Volume Family, Redman & His Latest Album : TheSource
- "Jarren Benton Conquers His Stage Fright - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-08-15. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Booth Favorite Jarren Benton Drops Self-Titled Mixtape [Download] | DJBooth.net". djbooth.net. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- Amazon.com: Jarren Benton Meets Smka: Huffing Glue With Hasselhoff [Explicit]: Jarren Benton: MP3 Downloads
- Jarren Benton Meets SMKA: Huffing Glue With Hasslehoff - Stream & Read Album Review
- The Come Up: Jarren Benton - Page 6 of 7 - XXL
- Jarren Benton - Freebasing With Kevin Bacon - Stream
- "Hopsin Announces Funk Volume 2012 Tour with Dizzy Wright, SwizZz & Jarren Benton [Video] | XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2012-08-16. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- The Come Up: Jarren Benton - Page 7 of 7 - XXL
- "Jarren Benton | Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Jarren Benton – “Life In The Jungle” | The Needle Drop
- Jarren Benton f/ Hopsin & SwizZz "Go Off" | Complex
- iTunes - Music - Underground Hits (Remix) [feat. Hopsin, Jarren Benton] - Single by R.A. the Rugged Man
- Jarren Benton Announces "Grandma's Basement Tour" Dates | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- "XXL Freshmen 2014 Cover Revealed - XXL". xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "XXL Freshmen Class: By The Numbers". xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Tech N9ne, Freddie Gibbs Are Hitting 70 Cities For New Tour - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "What We Learned: Jarren Benton's ‘Ask Me Anything’ Session On Reddit - Page 2 of 2 - XXL". xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "iTunes - Music - Funk Volume 2013 - Single by Various Artists". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2014-01-19.