Chino XL performing at Toads Place in New Haven, Connecticut, in March 2012.
|Birth name||Derek Keith Barbosa|
April 8, 1974 |
Bronx, New York, United States
|Years active||1986 - present|
|Labels||American Recordings/Warner Bros.
Machete Music/Universal Records
|Associated acts||Immortal Technique, Rebel Armz, Ras Kass, Kool G Rap, B-Real, Saafir, Kool Keith, Killah Priest, Proof, Bun B, Tech N9ne, Roc Marciano, Playalitical, Canibus|
Derek Keith Barbosa (born April 8, 1974), better known by his stage name Chino XL, is an American rapper and actor, known for his technically accomplished style, consisting of self-consciously over-the-top punchlines, exaggerated egotism, complex rhyme schemes, and use of multiple similes, puns, metaphors, and word play. He is a member of the intellectual collective MENSA and has collaborated on various projects with some of the most well known in Hip Hop. Chino is also an avid bodybuilder. Chino started rhyming in 1986, as said in his song "Don't Say A Word". He has released four solo studio album, in which his most recent - Ricanstruction: The Black Rosary - won the 2012 HHUG Album of the Year award 
Aside from music, Chino also forged a career in acting, appearing in several films and making guest appearances on the Comedy Central series Reno 911! and the CBS series CSI: Miami. He has starred in films alongside Kate Hudson, Luke Wilson, and Rob Reiner and had a solo project debut at Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival.
Early life 
Chino XL was born Derek Keith Barbosa on April 8, 1974 in the Bronx, New York, and is of Puerto Rican and African American ancestry.
After co-founding the duo Art of Origin, the emcee was signed at age 16 by music impresario Rick Rubin to Rubin's American Recordings label, which was once part of the Warner Bros. Records family. He released his debut album Here to Save You All in 1996, which was released to critical acclaim and major airplay by radio and MTV.
In 2009 during a controversial interview with Allhiphop.com writer Han O'Connor, Chino revealed that his fifth studio album The RICANstruction was to be released soon.[dated info] The album was released via his own joint venture CPR/Universal and featured the likes of Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne, Ras Kass, Crooked I, and Bun B. The RICANstruction also featured an unreleased collaboration with D12's Proof and a song with Big Pun. The album featured production from DJ Khalil and Focus served as executive producer.
On August 19, a song titled "N.I.C.E." that was produced by Nick Wiz was released.
In an interview in Fall of 2012, Chino XL revealed he'd be releasing his album as a double disc through Immortal Technique's Viper Records. The album was released on September 25, 2012 called RICANstruction: The Black Rosary, which won the 2012 HHUG Album of the Year award 
Studio albums 
- Here to Save You All (1996)
- I Told You So (2001)
- Poison Pen (2006)
- Something Sacred (2008) (with Playalitical)
- Ricanstruction: The Black Rosary (2012)
- Here to Save You All in '96 (1996)
- Wake Up Show Exclusives! (1998)
- Warning (2006)
- "No Slow Rollin'" (1992) (with Kaoz, as Art of Origin)
- "Un-Rational" (1993) (with Kaoz, as Art of Origin)
- "Purple Hands in the Air / Dark Night of the Bloodspiller" (1994)
- "No Complex / Waiting to Exhale" (1996)
- "Thousands / Freestyle Rhymes" (1996)
- "Kreep" (1996)
- "Rise / Jesus" (1996)
- "Deliver" (1996)
- "Thousands / Freestyle Rhymes" (1996)
- "Let 'Em Live" (2000)
- "Last Laugh" (2001)
- "What You Got / Let 'Em Live" (2001)
- "Don't Run from Me / Warning" (2006)
- "Poison Pen" (2006)
- "Messiah" (2006)
- "Jump Back" (2007)
- "Lick Shots" (2008) (with Immortal Technique, Crooked I)
- "Chow Down" (2008) (with Playalitical)
- "N.I.C.E." (2012)
- "Arm Yourself" (2012) (with DV Alias Khrist, Sick Jacken & Immortal Technique)
- "Kings" (2012) (with Big Pun)
- imdb.com, Chino XL - Biography, accessed, September 14, 2008.
- Chino XL Signs New Record Deal
- http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.16332/title.chino-xl-nice-prod-nick-wiz Chino XL "N.I.C.E. [Prod. Nick Wiz]"
Get RICANstruction: Black Rosary Now At Viper Records http://viperrecords.com/
- Chino XL on Myspace
- Chino XL on Facebook
- Chino XL on Twitter
- Chino XL on Discogs
- Chino XL on ITunes
- Chino XL at the Internet Movie Database
- Chino XL: 'I'd S**t On Shakespeare by Han O'Connor (Allhiphop)