Rappeneau in 2009
8 April 1932 |
Auxerre, Yonne, France
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Jean-Paul Rappeneau (born 8 April 1932) is a French film director and screenwriter.
He started out in film as an assistant and screenwriter collaborating with Louis Malle on Zazie dans le metro in 1960 and Vie privee in 1961. In 1964, he was co-screenwriter for L' Homme de Rio, which starred Jean-Paul Belmondo.
The first film that he both wrote and directed was A Matter of Resistance in 1965. Although it was a great critical and popular success, he did not make another film until 1971, when he directed Les Mariés de l'an II, again starring Belmondo and Marlène Jobert.
In 1990, Rappeneau directed a deluxe Technicolor film version of Cyrano de Bergerac, his adaptation of the classic French play by Edmond Rostand, starring Gérard Depardieu in what may become known as his greatest role. Rappeneau's film version is the most elaborate film version of the play ever made, and one of the most expensive French films ever produced. It is the only rendition of the play in the original French to be released widely.
- Writer - Signé Arsène Lupin (1959), with Robert Lamoureux and Alida Valli
- Writer - Zazie dans le métro (1960), with Catherine Demongeot and Philippe Noiret
- Writer - Vie privée (1962), with Brigitte Bardot and Marcello Mastroianni
- Writer - Le Combat dans l'île (fr) (1962), with Romy Schneider and Jean-Louis Trintignant
- Writer - L'homme de Rio (1964), with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Françoise Dorléac
- Writer - La fabuleuse aventure de Marco Polo (1965), with Horst Buchholz and Anthony Quinn
- Writer - Les survivants (television) (1965), with Frédéric de Pasquale and Catherine Diamant
- Director and writer - A Matter of Resistance (1965), with Catherine Deneuve and Pierre Brasseur
- Director and writer - Les mariés de l'an II (1971), with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Marlène Jobert
- Writer - Le Magnifique (1973), with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jacqueline Bisset
- Director and writer - Le Sauvage (1975), with Yves Montand and Catherine Deneuve
- Director and writer - Tout feu, tout flamme (1982), with Yves Montand and Isabelle Adjani
- Director and writer - Cyrano de Bergerac (1990), with Gérard Depardieu
- Director and writer - Le hussard sur le toit (The Horseman on the Roof) (1995), with Juliette Binoche and Olivier Martinez
- Director and writer - Bon voyage (2003), with Isabelle Adjani and Gérard Depardieu, screenplay co-written with Patrick Modiano.