|Born||Jennifer Anne Lee
May 30, 1980
San Francisco, California
|Education||B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara
M.Sc, Columbia University
|Occupation||Columnist, news presenter, journalist|
Jennifer Anne "Jenna" Lee (born May 30, 1980) is an American journalist and anchor on the Fox News Channel, where she co-hosts Happening Now with Jon Scott. Lee previously co-anchored Fox Business Network's early-morning business news program, Fox Business Morning, with Connell McShane.
Early life, family and education
Lee is a graduate of the University of California, Santa Barbara, with a Bachelor of Arts in English and Global & International Studies with emphasis on politics and socioeconomics. She also holds a Master of Science degree in Journalism from Columbia University. She had a double major in college and worked 30 hours a week during this time. Lee played Women's College Softball at UC Santa Barbara during the 1999 season.
Lee's father, Bob Lee, was a standout college football quarterback at University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, who went on to play in two Super Bowls, one for the Minnesota Vikings, and the other for the Los Angeles Rams (Super Bowl XI and Super Bowl XIV), throwing a touchdown pass in Super Bowl XI. Her brother, Zac, signed as a 2011 not-drafted free agent backup quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks. He previously played for the University of Nebraska for the 2010 season, after major surgery in the offseason, and had led the Cornhuskers to the 2009 Big 12 North Division title and a win in the Holiday Bowl. He lost his starting position the following year to Taylor Martinez. Lee's grandfather Paul Kern Lee was a war correspondent for the Associated Press in San Francisco.
Before joining FBN, Lee worked for Forbes.com as a news anchor and reporter. During that time, she conducted interviews with various leaders in the business community, both on-set and in the field, and covered multiple beats, including investing, the leisure industry, alternative business practices and international news. While at Forbes, Lee was trying to land a job in television and was turned down a number of times. She is quoted in a New York Daily News story on her as saying "It got to the point where I said, 'I have to do this, there's no other option. There's no other conversation to be had, even if that meant I was going to move somewhere."
Lee appeared on Sky News in the UK, broadcasting live from Fox Business News studio, updating viewers on the state of the US economy. She has appeared on Fox Business from San Francisco and London, and is based in New York City. She also appeared in 2008 and 2009 on the CBS Early Show discussing the stock markets.
Lee started hosting Fox Business News Live on foxbusiness.com on February 9, 2009 with her last broadcast on September 25, 2009. She was a regular contributor to the television show Inside Edition. Lee also appeared every weekday morning on the FBN show Money for Breakfast with news updates and has hosted the show in the past in place of Alexis Glick. She is also a contributor for the Daily Beast.
Fox Business Morning and Money for Breakfast are currently both off the air as Fox Business Network began airing the Don Imus radio show in their old time slot on October 5, 2009. Lee appears on a new web based show on foxbusiness.com airing from 6-9 am eastern that started on October 5, 2009.
Lee appeared in the September 2009 edition of Cosmopolitan complete with a photo spread. In October interviews with MarketWatch and AskMen, she described herself as "unremarkable" and "introverted", while co-worker Liz Claman says she was "driven". Lee was number 75 on the Ask Men list of Top 99 Women of the World which came out in October 2009. With Alexis Glick leaving FBN on 23 December 2009, Lee was mentioned in a Los Angeles Times story as being an anchor who would possibly take over the FBN show The Opening Bell on Fox Business. The job went to another anchor on the network, with Lee taking an expanded role on Imus in the Morning and the web show. The last airing of Fox Business Morning was May 7, 2010. The show was canceled later in the day to make room for an extra hour of the Best of Imus radio show from previous days with live business news cut-ins. Lee left Fox Business Network in July 2010 and joined their sister network Fox News Channel, where she replaced Jane Skinner as Jon Scott's co-anchor on Happening Now.
On July 3, 2011, Lee married B. Leif Babin, a Navy SEAL Officer, a 1994 graduate of Monsignor Kelly Catholic High School in Beaumont, Texas and 1998 graduate of the United States Naval Academy, in a Christian ceremony at the Old Glory Ranch in Wimberley, Texas. Babin left active duty in mid-2011, and in early 2012 opined in the Wall Street Journal that President Obama, senior members of his administration, and former SEALs were revealing many damaging operational details of overseas SEAL operations for political gain. On April 25, 2014, she announced on Happening Now that she was expecting her first child with husband Leif Babin, due to be born in early fall.
- Mirkinson, Jack (2010-07-07). "Jenna Lee Joins Fox News' 'Happening Now'". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "More FBN Changes… « Inside Cable News". Insidecablenews.wordpress.com. 2010-05-07. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- http://www.fresnobee.com/entertainment/tv-radio/story/1558508.html[dead link]
- "Jenna Lee rejects 'anchor babe' label - San Jose Mercury News". Mercurynews.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Me and Zac. Best moment of the trip? Watching a 7-yr-old aski... on Twitpic". Twitpic.com. 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- Floyd, Brian, "Josh Portis, Zac Lee Reportedly Agree To Terms With Seattle Seahawks", SB.Nation.Seattle, Jul 26, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- Olson, Eric (Nov 22, 12:37 am EST). "Nebraska beats K-State 17-3, clinches Big 12 North". Rivals.yahoo.com (AP). Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- Vegas, Sammy (2009-04-21). "Double Extra Point: Zac Lee's Smokeshow Sister: Jenna Lee". Doubleextrapoint.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "The Official Website of The Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl". HolidayBowl.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Obituary -- Paul Kern Lee", San Francisco Chronicle, August 9, 1996. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "Kanaal van forbes". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "TV News Talent". TVWeek. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- Huff, Richard (2009-05-31). "Jenna Lee's tenacity paved road to Fox biz anchor job". New York: Nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Jenna Lee FNC Bio". Fox News / Biography. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- SteveK (2008-10-24). "The FBN CBS Early Show - TVNewser". Mediabistro.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Jenna Lee on FOX Business on CBS Early Show". YouTube. 2009-04-06. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "FBN Preps Live Daily Web Series". Adweek.com. 2009-02-09. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "News - Panic on Wall Street". InsideEdition.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- Savitz, Eric (2009-08-11). "Fox Business May Dump Some Morning Shows For Imus". Blogs.barrons.com. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "The Ticker: Newseum, Hunter, Lee", mediabistro.com, September 8, 2009.
- Anson, Jasper, "Jenna Lee Interview", AskMen, no date.
- Friedman, Jon, "Fox's Jenna Lee has a glamorous grind", MarketWatch, October 14, 2009.
- Jenna Lee, AskMen page, no date. The page does not specify the rating.
- "Company Town". Los Angeles Times.
- "FBN in Sequel to “Wall Street”…? « Inside Cable News". Insidecablenews.wordpress.com. 2009-08-13. Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Jenna Lee Marries Navy SEAL Lt. Cmdr. Leif Babin", Model and Celebrity Gallery, July 10, 2011.
- Babin, Leif, "Obama Exploits the Navy SEALs" (preview only without subscription), The Wall Street Journal, January 30, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- Babin, Leif (30 January 2012). "Obama Exploits the Navy SEALs......(reprint from WSJ)". GeeeeeZ!. Brietbart Blog. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Congrats! Jenna Lee Announces She's Pregnant