|Born||N'Jimi M'Bouba Tuluki Manuwa
18 February 1980
|Other names||Poster Boy|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14.6 st)|
|Reach||77 in (196 cm)|
|Fighting out of||London, England|
|Team||Allstars Training Center
Lions Pride MMA
Nova Forca UK
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu |
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
N'Jimi M'Bouba Tuluki Manuwa (born 18 February 1980 in Sacramento, California) is a American born Nigerian-British mixed martial artist, who competes in the light heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of 11 April 2015, he is #9 in official UFC light heavyweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Manuwa began training in mixed martial arts in 2007 following a weight lifting injury where he ruptured a chest muscle while bench pressing 185 kg (407+ lbs). He currently trains at Keddles Gym with Alan Keddle and Dino Miringou and at Nova Forca BJJ with Ricardo Da Silva.
Manuwa fought for the UCMMA name since his third fight, becoming the promotion's champion in his third fight under them. He has successfully defended his title 5 times, more than any other champion in the company, past or present.
During this time period, Manuwa famously turned down a contract offer from the Ultimate Fighting Championship, feeling it wasn't the right time in his career to accept it. He did state that reaching the UFC was his "ultimate goal" in the future. He was then offered to fight at the UFC 138 event, but also refused that one, citing that he hasn't competed since summer of 2010, and that "If he fought on the October card that would have been after a fifteen month layoff, which is not ideal under any circumstances. You do need to be fighting regularly to stay sharp..."
He successfully defend his title for the 5th time at UCMMA 24: Hands of War against Nick Chapman.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After turning down a UFC contract a few years ago, Manuwa signed with the promotion in July 2012.
Manuwa made his UFC debut against TUF 8 contestant Kyle Kingsbury at UFC on Fuel TV 5, winning after 2 rounds by TKO due to doctor stoppage. The stoppage was declared after Kingsbury's left eye had swollen shut.
For his second fight with the promotion, Manuwa faced Cyrille Diabaté on 16 February 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. Manuwa was declared the winner (TKO) after Diabaté was unable to continue after tearing a calf muscle near the end of the first round.
Manuwa returned to face Ryan Jimmo on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night 30. For the second time in a row, Manuwa's opponent injured his leg during the fight and this resulted in a TKO victory for Manuwa.
Manuwa faced former title challenger Alexander Gustafsson in the main event at UFC Fight Night 37 on 8 March 2014 in London. He lost the fight via TKO in the second round, resulting in the first loss of his professional career. Despite the defeat, Manuwa earned his first Fight of the Night bonus for the fight.
Manuwa was expected to face Maurício Rua at UFC Fight Night 56 on 8 November 2014 in Brazil. However, on October 29, it was announced that Manuwa had pulled out of the fight due to an injury, and that Ovince St. Preux would replace him against Rua.
After over a year away from the sport, Manuwa returned to face Jan Błachowicz on April 11, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 64. Manuwa won the fight via unanimous decision, this is the first time Manuwa has gone the distance in his MMA career.
MTV UK are currently doing a documentary on MMA in the UK, with Manuwa, Jack Marshman and Cory Tait being filmed in the build-ups of their next fights and the training and lifestyles involved. He is a supporter of West Ham United. In 2014, Manuwa showed off his tattoos for PETA's anti-fur "Ink Not Mink" ad campaign.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Challenge MMA
- UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship (One time; first)
- Five successful title defenses
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||15 wins||1 loss|
|Win||15–1||Jan Błachowicz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop 2||11 April 2015||3||5:00||Kraków, Poland|
|Loss||14–1||Alexander Gustafsson||TKO (knee and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa||8 March 2014||2||1:18||London, England||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–0||Ryan Jimmo||TKO (leg injury)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz||26 October 2013||2||4:41||Manchester, England|
|Win||13–0||Cyrille Diabaté||TKO (leg injury)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||16 February 2013||1||5:00||London, England|
|Win||12–0||Kyle Kingsbury||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||29 September 2012||2||5:00||Nottingham, England|
|Win||11–0||Antony Rea||TKO (retirement)||BAMMA 8||10 December 2011||1||5:00||Nottingham, England|
|Win||10–0||Nick Chapman||TKO (knees)||UCMMA 24||22 October 2011||1||2:14||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Valentino Petrescu||KO (punch)||UCMMA 14||7 August 2010||1||3:08||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||8–0||Reza Meldavian||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 12||8 May 2010||1||3:19||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Shaun Lomas||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 9||5 December 2009||1||3:58||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Luke Blythe||KO (punch)||UCMMA 6||22 August 2009||2||4:22||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Ryan Robinson||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 4||9 May 2009||1||2:03||London, England||Won the UCMMA Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Jamie Hearn||Submission (guillotine choke)||UCMMA 2||7 February 2009||1||1:49||London, England|
|Win||3–0||Chris Greig||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 1||6 December 2008||2||1:35||London, England|
|Win||2-0||Dave Rintoul||TKO (punch)||FX3 9||13 September 2008||1||3:10||Reading, England|
|Win||1–0||Tom King||TKO (punches)||FCFN 8||26 July 2008||1||4:25||Portsmouth, England|
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Manuwa explains UFC offer". thefightlounge.co.uk. 2011-09-19.
- "BAMMA Signs Top British Light Heavyweight Fighter". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Manuwa Draws Kingsbury At UFC On Fuel 5". YourMMA.tv. 21 July 2012.
- Mike Bohn (2013-02-17). "Cyrille Diabate suffers torn right calf muscle in UFC on FUEL TV 7 defeat to Jimi Manuwa". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-08-09). "Jimi Manuwa vs. Ryan Jimmo targeted for UFC's return to England". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Steven Marrocco. "UFC Fight Night 30 results: Ryan Jimmo injury results in TKO loss to Jimi Manuwa". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Staff. "Jimi Manuwa meets Alexander Gustafsson when UFC returns to London in March". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- John Morgan (2014-03-08). "UFC Fight Night 37 bonuses: Alexander Gustafsson earns dual awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- Thomas Myers (2014-09-03). "Shogun Rua vs Jimi Manuwa fight targeted for UFC Fight Night 56 in Brazil". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-09-03.
- Staff (2014-10-29). "Jimi Manuwa out at UFC Fight Night 56, Ovince Saint Preux now meets 'Shogun' Rua". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- Staff (2015-01-23). "UFC Fight Night 64 heads to Poland with Cro Cop-Gonzaga II, Blachowicz-Manuwa". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-04-11). "UFC Fight Night 64 results: Jimi Manuwa outstrikes Jan Blachowicz to take decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Carlton Cole has West Ham fight club goal
- "Jimi 'Poster Boy' Manuwa in PETA's Ink Not Mink Campaign," FameMagazine.co.uk, 10 March 2014.