Albuquerque, New Mexico
|Nationality||American, New Zealand, Dual citizenship|
CEO, Fog Creek Software
CEO, Stack Exchange Network
Avram Joel Spolsky (born 1965) is a software engineer and writer. He is the author of Joel on Software, a blog on software development. He was a Program Manager on the Microsoft Excel team between 1991 and 1994. He later founded Fog Creek Software in 2000 and launched the Joel on Software blog. In 2008 he launched the now-successful Stack Overflow programmer Q&A site in collaboration with Jeff Atwood. Using the Stack Exchange software product which powers Stack Overflow, The Stack Exchange Network now hosts over 100 Q&A sites.
Spolsky grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico and lived there until he was 15. He then moved with his family to Jerusalem, Israel, where he attended high school and did his military service as a paratrooper. He was one of the founders of Kibbutz Hanaton in Upper Galilee. In 1987, he returned to the United States to attend college. He studied at the University of Pennsylvania for a year before transferring to Yale University, where he was a member of Pierson College and graduated in 1991 with a BS summa cum laude in Computer Science.
Spolsky started working at Microsoft in 1991 as a Program Manager on the Microsoft Excel team, where he designed Excel Basic and drove Microsoft's Visual Basic for Applications strategy. He moved to New York City in 1995 where he worked for Viacom and Juno Online Services. In 2000, he founded Fog Creek Software and created the Joel on Software blog. Joel on Software was "one of the first blogs set up by a business owner".
He is the author of five books, including User Interface Design for Programmers and Smart and Gets Things Done. He is also the creator of The Joel Test.
Spolsky coined the term fix it twice for a process improvement method. It implies a quick, immediate solution for fixing an incident and a second, slower fix for preventing the same problem from occurring again by targeting the root cause.
- Spolsky, Joel; Atwood, Jeff (July 8, 2008). "Stack Overflow podcast #13". Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Spolsky, Joel (October 30, 2005). "About Joel Spolsky". Joel On Software. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Spolsky, Joel. "Joel Spolsky". joel.spolsky.com. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Livingston, Jessica (2007). "Interview: Joel Spolsky Co-Founder, Fog Creek Software". Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days. Apress. ISBN 9781590597149. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "An Interview with Joel Spolsky". SoftLetter.com. Archived from the original on August 9, 2007. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Spolsky, Joel. "How Hard Could it Be". Inc. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Joel Spolsky". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Atwood, Jeff (April 16, 2008). "Introducing Stackoverflow.com". Coding Horror. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Management Team". Stack Exchange Network. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Spolsky, Joel (January 6, 2012). "How Trello is different". Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Spolsky, Joel (February 19, 2007). "Seven steps to remarkable customer service". Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Spolsky, Joel (2001). User Interface Design for Programmers. Apress. ISBN 1-893115-94-1.
- Spolsky, Joel (2004). Joel on Software: And on Diverse and Occasionally Related Matters That Will Prove of Interest to Software Developers, Designers, and Managers, and to Those Who, Whether by Good Fortune or Ill Luck, Work with Them in Some Capacity. Apress. ISBN 1-59059-389-8.
- Spolsky, Joel (2005). The Best Software Writing I: Selected and Introduced by Joel Spolsky. Apress. ISBN 1-59059-500-9.
- Spolsky, Joel (2007). Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky's Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent. Apress. ISBN 1-59059-838-5.
- Spolsky, Joel (2008). More Joel on Software: Further Thoughts on Diverse and Occasionally Related Matters That Will Prove of Interest to Software Developers, Designers, and to Those Who, Whether by Good Fortune or Ill Luck, Work with Them in Some Capacity. Apress. ISBN 1-4302-0987-9.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Joel Spolsky|