Johan de Meij
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
Johannes Abraham (Johan) de Meij (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈjohɑn dʏ ˈmɛi], born November 23, 1953, Voorburg) is a Dutch conductor, trombonist, and composer, best known for his Symphony No. 1, nicknamed "The Lord of the Rings" symphony.
Johan de Meij (Voorburg, 1953) studied trombone and conducting at the Royal Conservatory of Music in The Hague. He has earned international fame as a composer and arranger. His catalogue consists of original compositions, symphonic transcriptions and arrangements of film scores and musicals.
His Symphony No. 1, The Lord of the Rings, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's best-selling novels of the same name, was his first composition for wind orchestra. It received the prestigious Sudler Composition Award in 1989. In 2001, the orchestral version was premiered by the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. The Lord of the Rings has been recorded by renowned orchestras such as the London Symphony Orchestra, the North Netherlands Orchestra, the Nagoya Philharmonic Orchestra and the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra. His cello concerto Casanova was awarded First Prize at the International Composition Competition of Corciano (Italy) in 1999. A year later, De Meij won the Oman International Composition Prize with The Red Tower. His Symphony No. 3, Planet Earth was awarded 2nd Prize in the 2006 edition of the Corciano Competition. He received the Dutch Wind Music Award 2007 for his important role in the worldwide advancement of the genre.
Besides composing and arranging, Johan de Meij is active as a performer, conductor, adjudicator and lecturer. As a trombone and euphonium player he has performed with the major orchestras and ensembles in The Netherlands, such as the Radio Chamber Orchestra, the Netherlands Wind Ensemble, the Dutch Brass Sextet, the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra and Orkest ‘De Volharding’. He has conducted some of the leading wind orchestras of Europe, Asia, Australia, North and South America and has led master classes around the world. In 2010, he was appointed regular guest conductor of the renowned Simón Bolívar Youth Wind Orchestra from Caracas, Venezuela.
- 1979 Patchwork for brass sextet
- 1984-1988 Symphony No. 1 "The Lord of the Rings"
- Journey in the Dark (The Mines of Moria - The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm)
- 1988 Loch Ness - A Scottish Fantasy
- The Lake At Dawn
- 1989 Aquarium opus 5
- Allegretto grazioso (Neon Tetra, Electric Eel and Angelfish)
- Andante / Adagio (Sea Horse and Zebrafish)
- Finale: Allegro giocoso (Guppy & Co.)
- 1993 Symphony No. 2 "The Big Apple" (A New York Symphony)
- Skyline - Allegro assai
- Interlude - Times Square Cadenza
- Gotham - Largamente, allegro agitato e nervoso
- 1995 Polish Christmas Music- Part 1
- based on the Polish Christmas carols Poklon Jezusowi; Mizerna, cicha; Aniol pasterzom mówil; Gdy sliczna Panna and Jam jest dudka
- 1995 Jazz Suite No.2 (of Dmitri Shostakovich) Classical transcription for symphonic/fanfare band
- Lyric Waltz
- Dance I
- Dance II
- Waltz no. 2
- 1996 T-Bone Concerto for trombone and concert band
- Well done
- 1997 Continental Overture
- 1998 La Quintessenza
- Alla Marcia
- 2000 Casanova for cello solo and symphonic wind orchestra
- Prologo – Il Tema di Messer Grande
- Cadenza – Attos di Presentazione
- La Vita a Corte
- L'Arresto di Casanova
- L'Evasione dai Piombi
- M.M. e C.C.
- Finale e Stretto: Il Trionfo dell'Amore
- 2002 The Venitian Collection
- Voice of Space (La Voix des Airs)
- The Red Tower (La Torre Rossa)
- Magic Garden (Zaubergarten)
- Empire of Light (L'Empire des Lumières)
- Klezmer Classics for wind orchestra
- Dem Trisker Rebn’s Nign
- Lomir Sich Iberbetn
- Ma Yofus
- The Wind in the Willows
- The River
- Ratty and Mole
- Mister Toad
- The Return of Ulysses
- 2005 Extreme Make-over
- Testpiece for the European Brass Band Contest 2005, Groningen-NL.
- 2006 Symphony No. 3 "Planet Earth"
- Lonely Planet
- Planet Earth
- Mother Earth
- 2006 Windy City Overture - commissioned by the Northshore Concert Band
- 2007 Canticles for Bass Trombone and Wind Orchestra
- 2007 Festive Hymn
- 2008 Dutch Masters Suite
- The Night Watch (after Rembrandt van Rijn)
- The Love Letter (after Johannes Vermeer)
- Prince’s Day (after Jan Steen)
- 2010 Spring - Overture for Wind Orchestra
- 2010 At Kitty O'Sheas (Irish Folk Song Suite)
- 2011 Cloud Factory
- 2012 UFO Concerto for Euphonium
- Carson, William S. (October 2003). On the Path to Excellence: The Northshore Concert Band : Paynter, Buehlman, and Beyond. Hal Leonard Corporation. pp. 196–. ISBN 9781574630275. Retrieved 9 August 2012.