John Crichton-Stuart, 4th Marquess of Bute
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
He was the son of John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute and Gwendolen Fitzalan-Howard, a daughter of Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop and granddaughter of Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk.
He was educated at Harrow School, and succeeded his father as Marquess of Bute in 1900. In early 1902 he was on a tour in the Far East. On reaching his majority in June 1902, he received the Honorary Freedom of the Burgh of Rothesay.
On 6 July 1905, he married Augusta Bellingham, daughter of Sir (Alan) Henry Bellingham, 4th Baronet and Catherine Noel (a descendant, through her maternal grandmother, Elizabeth FitzClarence, of William IV); they had seven children:
- Lady Mary Crichton-Stuart (8 May 1906 – 1980), married Edward Walker and had issue.
- John Crichton-Stuart, 5th Marquess of Bute (4 August 1907 – 14 August 1956)
- Lady Jean Crichton-Stuart (28 October 1908 – 23 October 1995), married Lt.-Cmdr. Hon. James Bertie and had issue (two sons); her elder son was Fra' Andrew Willoughby Ninian Bertie, Prince and Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta from 1988 until his death in 2008.
- Lord Robert Crichton-Stuart (12 December 1909 – 1976), married Lady Janet Egida Montgomerie (1911–1999), daughter of Archibald Montgomerie, 16th Earl of Eglinton and had issue.
- Lord David Crichton-Stuart (8 February 1911 – 1970), married Ursula Packe and had issue.
- Lord Patrick Crichton-Stuart (1 February 1913 – 5 February 1956), married Jane von Bahr and had issue.
- Captain Lord Rhidian Crichton-Stuart (4 June 1917 – 25 June 1969), married Selina van Wijk and had issue.
- "Court Circular" The Times (London). Monday, 5 May 1902. (36759), p. 8.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Bute
The Viscount Dunedin
|Lord Lieutenant of Buteshire
Marquess of Graham
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Marquess of Bute