John Crichton-Stuart, 4th Marquess of Bute
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
He was the son of John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute and Gwendolen Fitzalan-Howard, a daughter of Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop and granddaughter of Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk.
Educated at Harrow School.
On 6 July 1905, he married Augusta Bellingham, daughter of Sir (Alan) Henry Bellingham, 4th Baronet and Catherine Noel (a descendant, through her maternal grandmother, Elizabeth FitzClarence, of William IV); they had seven children:
- Lady Mary Crichton-Stuart (8 May 1906 – 1980), married Edward Walker and had issue.
- John Crichton-Stuart, 5th Marquess of Bute (4 August 1907 – 14 August 1956)
- Lady Jean Crichton-Stuart (28 October 1908 – 23 October 1995), married Lt.-Cmdr. Hon. James Bertie and had issue (two sons); her elder son was Fra' Andrew Willoughby Ninian Bertie, Prince and Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta from 1988 until his death in 2008.
- Lord Robert Crichton-Stuart (12 December 1909 – 1976), married Lady Janet Egida Montgomerie (1911–1999), daughter of Archibald Montgomerie, 16th Earl of Eglinton and had issue.
- Lord David Crichton-Stuart (8 February 1911 – 1970), married Ursula Packe and had issue.
- Lord Patrick Crichton-Stuart (1 February 1913 – 5 February 1956), married Jane von Bahr and had issue.
- Captain Lord Rhidian Crichton-Stuart (4 June 1917 – 25 June 1969), married Selina van Wijk and had issue.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Bute
The Viscount Dunedin
|Lord Lieutenant of Buteshire
Marquess of Graham
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Marquess of Bute