Lyles with the Houston Astros
|Colorado Rockies – No. 24|
October 19, 1990 |
Hartsville, South Carolina
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 31, 2011 for the Houston Astros|
(through May 28, 2014)
|Earned run average||5.07|
Before being selected by the Astros with the 38th pick in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft, Lyles attended Hartsville High School in Hartsville, South Carolina. After signing, Lyles "showed a consistent 90-mph fastball and had 64 strikeouts in 49⅔ innings in the rookie-level Appalachian League," according to sportswriter Gerry Fraley. In 2010, he appeared in the All-Star Futures Game.
Lyles had his contract purchased by Houston on May 28, 2011. His first start with the Houston Astros came at Wrigley Field on May 31. He pitched 7+ innings and allowed only one earned run in a 7–3 win. He also got his first career hit that game. Lyles recorded his first major league win August 3, 2011 in a 5–4 win over the Cincinnati Reds. The Astros optioned Lyles to Oklahoma City at the start of the 2012 season.
On April 29, Lyles was recalled to Houston to make a start for Kyle Weiland, who was placed on the 15-day DL. Lyles was 4–0 with a 3.46 ERA with 24 strikeouts in 26 innings at Oklahoma City. Lyles pitched a quality start, giving up three runs over six innings of work. Though he left with the lead, the bullpen lost control, and the Astros lost, 6–5. After the game, Lyles was optioned back to Triple-A to make room for Marwin González, who was activated from paternity leave.
Lyles typically throws five pitches: a four-seam fastball at 91–94 mph, a two-seam fastball at 90–93, a cutter at 85–88, a curveball at 78–82, and a changeup to left-handed hitters at 82–84. Lyles has also thrown a small number of sliders. He is not a strikeout pitcher, but his pitches have good ground ball/fly ball ratios.
- Fraley, Gerry (January 12, 2009). "Cooper ready to lead Astros on smoother trip". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- Astros place Rodriguez on DL, Lyles gets call, CBS Sports, May 28, 2011.
- In first ML start, Lyles allows just 1 earned, NBC Sports, May 31, 2011.
- Astros recall Lyles, will start Sunday
- Wallner, Jeff (April 29, 2012). "Lyles solid in debut, 'pen can't hold on". MLB.com.
- Rockies acquire RHP Jordan Lyles and OF Brandon Barnes from Houston in exchange for OF Dexter Fowler
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Jordan Lyles". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Baseball Almanac
- Jordan Lyles on Twitter
|Youngest Player in the National League