Weeks playing for Oakland in 2011.
Boston Red Sox
January 26, 1987 |
|June 7, 2011 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||59|
|Competitor for United States|
|World University Championship|
Weeks was originally drafted by the Brewers in the eighth round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but chose, instead, to attend the University of Miami. He played college baseball for the Miami Hurricanes. The Oakland Athletics then selected him twelfth overall in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft.
Weeks was batting .297 in nineteen games for the Kane County Cougars in 2008 when a torn hip flexor ended his season. He played fall ball with the Phoenix Desert Dogs in 2009, and was named an Arizona Fall League Rising Star. At the start of the 2010 season, Weeks was ranked seventh in Oakland's farm system according to Baseball America and appeared as a non-roster invitee for the Athletics in spring 2011.
He was called up to the majors for the first time on June 7, 2011. He won the MLB Rookie of the Month Award for the American League in June 2011. He batted .309, with seven doubles, three triples, six RBIs, and six stolen bases in this month.
In 2012, Weeks hit .220 with 14 doubles, 8 triples, 2 homers, 20 RBIs, 50 walks, and 15 stolen bases. On August 22, 2012, Weeks was demoted to the Triple-A's Sacramento River Cats when the A's activated outfielder Seth Smith and acquired Stephen Drew from the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Boston Red Sox
- Connolly, Dan. "Orioles trade closer Jim Johnson to Oakland A's for 2B Jemile Weeks," The Baltimore Sun, Tuesday, December 3, 2013.
- Jemile Weeks comes up big against brother's team
- Oakland's Top-RatedProspects
- Gleeman, Aaron. "A’s place Mark Ellis on DL, call up Jemile Weeks from Triple-A". NBC Sports. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Miami Hurricanes bio