Kavinsky at The Academy Gallery in Montreal, QC 2006
|Birth name||Vincent Belorgey|
|Born||1975 (age 37–38)
|Genres||French house, synthpop|
|Labels||Record Makers, Fool's Gold Records|
|Associated acts||Justice, Sebastian, Mr Oizo|
Vincent Belorgey (born 1975), known as Kavinsky, is a French house artist whose production style is very reminiscent of the electro-pop film soundtracks of the 1980s. Kavinsky claimed in an interview with Angie Mendoza that his music is inspired by thousands of movies he watched as a young boy and that he has taken the good parts of them and put them into one concept. Kavinsky has been compared to many similar French house artists including Daft Punk and Danger and achieved more mainstream notability after his track "Nightcall" was featured in the 2011 film Drive.
After many years as an actor, Kavinsky's musical career started in 2005 after being inspired by his close friends Jackson Fourgeaud and Quentin Dupieux, the latter director also included Kavinsky's music in his film Steak . During this period Kavinsky produced his first single Testarossa Autodrive which was inspired by the Testarossa model of Ferrari (one of which Vincent drives in real life). Kavinsky presented the single to Quentin, who in turn presented it to a record label he had access to because of his filming career, and Kavinsky signed with Record Makers. 
Subsequently Kavinsky has gone on to release three EPs on the Record Makers label: Teddy Boy in 2006, 1986 a year later, and Nightcall with Lovefoxxx of CSS in 2010. During this period, Kavinsky's fellow producer Surkin jokingly claimed in an interview that Kavinsky was his father and has since toured alongside Daft Punk, The Rapture, Justice, and Sebastian in 2007. He has also been remixed by Sebastian and other notable electro artists.
The Sebastian remix of Testarossa Autodrive off the 1986 EP is featured in the video game Grand Theft Auto IV and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Kavinsky's single Nightcall was featured in the opening credits of the film Drive, and became a major hit soon after, with YouTube views claiming over 30 million to date (March 6, 2013).
Kavinsky is a character made by Vincent Belorgey that has a striking resemblance to Vincent himself but the backstory doesn't follow anything in Belorgey's history. Kavinsky's story is that after crashing his Testarossa in 1986, Kavinsky reappeared as a zombie in 2006 to make his own electronic music. Kavinsky's songs help tell the story of him and as Vincent claims in an interview, "Night Call, is just about the zombie guy [who] goes to his girlfriend's house and says okay I'm not the same, we need to talk." referring to Kavinsky going back to find his girlfriend after the crash who has already moved on with her life.
Kavinsky always wears the same pair of sunglasses for live shows.
In interview, Kavinsky stated that the entirety of Teddy Boy was written and recorded on a Yamaha DX7, which was famous and notable for the synth-pop sound of the 1980s. Kavinsky originally started making music on an old Apple computer given to him by his friend Mr. Oizo.
|Year||Album and details||Peak positions|
|2006||Teddy Boy||Jan 16, 2006||Record Makers|
|2007||1986||Feb 20, 2007||Record Makers|
|2008||Blazer||Jul 1, 2008||Fool's Gold Records|
|2010||Nightcall||Mar 26, 2010||Record Makers|
|2011||Nightcall (Anniversary Edition)||Nov 11, 2011||Record Makers|
|2013||ProtoVision||Feb 11, 2013||Record Makers|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2010||"Nightcall" (feat. Lovefoxxx)||28||16||10||OutRun|
|2006||"Testarossa Autodrive"||Jonas & François||Jun 23, 2006||Records Makers|
|2009||"Dead Cruiser"||-||Feb, 2009||Records Makers|
|2012||"ProtoVision"||Marcus Herring||Dec 12, 2012||Records Makers|
- Nonfilm (2001)
- Aaltra (2003)
- Atomik Circus, le retour de James Bataille (2004)
- Ultranova (2005)
- Steak (2007)
- "Portishead's Geoff Barrow to release 'Drive' soundtrack on vinyl | News". Nme.Com. 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- "Kavinsky on BIGSTEREO". This.bigstereo.net. 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Rhoads, Celeste. "Kavinsky - Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Belorgey, V. (2011, October 5). Kavinsky (Interview by A. Mendoza & R. Oh) [Blog post]. Retrieved from BIGSTEREO website: http://this.bigstereo.net/2011/10/05/kavinsky/
- "Kavinsky biography". Artistwiki.com. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Hess, Bill (2013-01-02). "DJ Kavinsky featured in GTA V NightRide FM". Attackofthefanboy.com. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- Staff. (2012, December 10). Kavinsky: "ProtoVision" (Steam/Official Video) [Editorial]. Retrieved December 14, 2012, from Prefixmag website: http://www.prefixmag.com/media/kavinsky/protovision-streamofficial-video/72418
- "Timeline Photos". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- "Kavinsky Interview". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- LesCharts.com: Kavinsky discography
- Steffen Hung. "Kavinsky page". LesCharts.com. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
- "Kavinsky - Protovision". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-02-27.