16 October 1979 |
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
Initially playing Tara Palmer-Tomkinson in a docu-soap about Prince William, she later appeared in Doctors before playing Mickie Hendrie in Holby City from 2004 to 2006. Adams was cast in the role of Mickie alongside fellow series six newcomer Jaye Jacobs, as staff nurse Donna Jackson. The pair's arrival in the show was heavily publicized, and subject of a documentary entitled "Making It at Holby", chronicling their casting process, which entailed seven weeks of auditions, including group workshops to allow the series producers to gauge candidates' personalities.
Adams originally auditioned as Donna, however the casting directors felt that she would be better suited to Mickie, the quieter character, and "mild mannered" counterpart to Donna's "sassy staff nurse". She and Jacobs were paired together during a three-hour workshop, and the producers detected an "instant spark" between them, leading to their dual casting. In 2004, her character had a lesbian liaison with Jacobs' character. The scene in which they kissed was edited to half its original length after being deemed too explicit for pre-watershed broadcast. In the aftermath of the Mickie/Donna storyline, the BBC banned its actresses from appearing in raunchy photo-shoots, after Jacobs and Adams were photographed in intimate poses while dressed in nurse's uniforms for various "lads' mags". In 2006, her ambitious character left for Newcastle Medical school to study to be a doctor.
In 2009, Adams joined the cast of long-running BBC1 drama series Hustle for its fifth season, playing the role of Emma Kennedy, a new member of Mickey Bricks' crew of con artists. She continued in the role of Emma for three further seasons of the drama, the most recent of which (Season 8) aired from 3 February 2012. In an episode of Series 6, Adams plays the role of Kylie Minogue as a parody of Adams' slight resemblance to the Australian singer.
She also had a small role in the 2009 biographical film Bronson, about the notorious prisoner Charles Bronson, and in a British science fiction thriller Beacon77, which was shown at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. In 2010, Adams appeared in the movie My Last Five Girlfriends as Wendy. In July 2012, it was confirmed by the BBC, that Adams would be starring in the new series of Death in Paradise which is due to be released in the UK in early 2013. Adams starred as Padre Mary Greenstock in the BBC Three comedy Bluestone 42 for its first two series.
Adams was born in Lincoln, Lincolnshire. She married long-term partner, fashion photographer Chris Kennedy, in a ceremony at Hackney Town Hall in February 2011, after proposing to him on a trip to Bruges.
|2002||Prince William||Tara Palmer-Tomkinson||TV film|
|My Last Five Girlfriends||Wendy|
|The 7th Dimension||Sarah||Originally titled Beacon77|
|2012||The Cricklewood Greats||Jenny Driscoll||TV film|
|2 in a Million||Neema||Short film|
|2013||Tomorrow in a Day[dead link]||Rose||Short film|
|2005||Casualty||Mickie Hendrie||Episode: "Deny Thy Father: Part One"|
|2004–2006||Holby City||Mickie Hendrie||Main cast|
|2006||Robin Hood||Eve||Episode: "A Thing or Two About Loyalty"|
|2008||Doctors||Amanda Prior||Episode: "The Front Page"|
|2010||The Persuasionists||Victoria Smeet||Episode: "The Handsomeness"|
|2009–2012||Hustle||Emma Kennedy||Main cast (as well Sara Naismith)|
|2012||The Town||Lucy||TV miniseries|
|2013||Death in Paradise||Liz Curtis||Episode: "A Deadly Curse"|
|Endeavour||Cynthia Riley||Episode: "Home"|
|2013-2014||Bluestone 42||Padre Mary Greenstock||Main cast|
|2015||Mr Selfridge||Nancy Webb||Series 3|
|2015||The Delivery Man||Jess||Series 1, 1 episode|
- "Holby to Hustle success for Lincolnshire lass". BBC Lincolnshire. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Kelly Adams". holby.tv. Holby.tv. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "Making It At Holby". Holby City. Season 6. 2004-03-23. BBC. BBC One.
- Laws, Roz (21 March 2004). "The Box: Gimme, gimme, gimme a role in Holby.". Sunday Mercury. Birmingham, England: Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Vivian, Rhiannon (12 December 2004). "Star Style: Holby City party girls". Sunday Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 15 November 2010.[dead link]
- Johnson, Emma (24 March 2004). "TV review: Could the con be off?". Liverpool Echo. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- Wise, Jon (20 August 2006). "My lesbian kiss was naughty..but nurse". The People. London, England: Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Lawler, Danielle (19 September 2004). "Beeb Babes Cover-Up". Sunday Mirror (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 6 May 2008.[dead link]
- "BBC - Holby City - Characters - Mickie Hendrie". BBC. Retrieved 14 January 2009.[dead link]
- "Beacon77 Cast". [Revolt Films]. Retrieved 13 May 2009.
- 28 Days: The Voice of Horror
- "Actress to switch on city lights". BBC News. 9 November 2005. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Jody Thompson (28 February 2011). "Now that's hustling! Hustle star Kelly Adams bucks celebrity trend and gets married in a ceremony that cost just £200". Daily Mail. Retrieved 28 February 2011.