July 26, 1983 |
|Competitor for the United States|
|Gold||2002 Salt Lake City||Halfpipe|
|X Games medal record|
Kelly Clark (born July 26, 1983) is a snowboarder born in the village of West Dover in the town of Dover, Vermont. She has been snowboarding since she was 7 years old, and began competing in 1999. She became a member of the US Snowboard team in 2000, and later won a gold medal in the Winter Olympics.
In 2007/2008 she finished World No.3 on the Swatch TTR World Snowboard Tour (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
In 2008/2009 Kelly finished World No.1 on the Swatch TTR World Snowboard Tour. (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
Kelly Clark trained for competitive snowboarding at Mount Snow Academy in Vermont and graduated in spring 2001. She won a gold medal for women's halfpipe at the 2002 Winter Olympics and competed in the halfpipe event again in the 2006 Winter Olympics. Her last run started off in spectacular fashion; however, she missed a landing later in the run and ended up placing fourth behind fellow Americans Hannah Teter and Gretchen Bleiler, as well as Norwegian Kjersti Buaas. In the 2010 Vancouver Olympics Kelly won a bronze medal in the halfpipe after placing third behind American silver medalist Hannah Teter and Australian Torah Bright.
The TTR World Tour particularly has witnessed her domination first hand. The 2007/2008 season saw Kelly record a staggering eight podium finishes out of 12 contest entries, with five of those as TTR Titles including the 6Star Burton European Open, the 5Star Chevrolet Grand Prix and the 6Star season-ending Roxy Chicken Jam US. The 2008/2009 World Tour, however, would finally see Kelly rise to the head of the ranks, finishing the season as Swatch TTR World Snowboard Tour Champion. Over the course of her world travels, from the 5Star Burton New Zealand Open to the legendary 6Star Burton European Open to the prestigious 6Star Burton US Open, Clark bagged a podium finish at every turn.
At the start of the 2004–05 FIS Snowboarding World Cup season, Clark overheard a conversation at a competition in which another competitor was upset and that competitor's friend comforted her. Clark returned to her hotel room and started reading the Bible before seeing the friend of her competitor's wanting to know more about God. Knowing God, according to Clark, freed up her snowboarding and allowed her to enjoy the sport more. She now rides with a sticker on her snowboard proclaiming, "Jesus, I can not hide my love."
Kelly's parents, Terry and Cathy, have their own restaurant in West Dover, Vermont, called TC's. When Kelly was young, she and her family lived in West Dover and for their summers they had a house in Rhode Island. They decided it was too hard, so they permanently stayed and lived in West Dover, Vermont.
Recent Competition History
Highlights of Swatch TTR 2009/2010 Season
- 1st – Halfpipe – 5Star Burton New Zealand Open (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
- 1st – Halfpipe – 6Star Burton US Open (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
- 1st – Halfpipe – 6Star Roxy Chicken Jam US (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
Highlights of Swatch TTR 2008/2009 Season Swatch TTR World Snowboard Tour Champion 2008/09
- 3rd – Halfpipe – 5Star Burton New Zealand Open (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
- 1st – Halfpipe – 6Star Burton European Open (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
- 1st – Halfpipe – 5Star Nissan X-Trail Asian Open (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
- 2nd – Halfpipe – 6Star Burton US Open (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
- 1st – Halfpipe – 6Star Roxy Chicken Jam (Ticket to Ride (World Snowboard Tour))
Victories on the Swatch TTR World Snowboard Tour (status: July 2010)
|TTR Star Level||Number of victories|
|6Star Event||7 victories|
|5Star Event||4 victories|
|4Star Event||2 victories|
- 2010 Winter X Games – Superpipe – 1st Place
- 2009 Winter Dew Tour – Dew Cup – 1st Place
- 2008 Chevy Grand Prix – Tamarack – Halfpipe – 1st Place
- 2008 Winter X Games – Halfpipe – 2nd Place
- 2007 New Zealand Open – Quarterpipe – 1st Place
- 2007 New Zealand Open – Halfpipe – 2nd Place
- 2007 Burton Abominable Snow Jam – Overall – 2nd Place
- 2007 Burton Abominable Snow Jam – Halfpipe – 2nd Place
- 2006 US Grand Prix – Halfpipe – 1st Place
- 2006 Burton New Zealand Open – Quarterpipe – 1st Place
- 2006 Burton New Zealand Open – Superpipe – 1st Place
- 2006 Chevorlet Grand Prix – Halfpipe – 2nd Place
- 2005 FIS World Cup – Halfpipe – 1st Place
- 2005 Grand Prix #3- Halfpipe – 2nd Place
- Mount Snow
- U.S Snowboarding Team
- McGlinchey, Thomas D. "Olympic journeys". WORLD magazine. 13 February 2010. p. 57.
- Kelly Clark at the International Ski Federation
- Kelly Clark on Go211.com Kelly's blog, photos and videos.
- NBC Sports Profile
- Kelly's U.S. Olympic Team bio
- Onboard magazine interview with Kelly Clark
- Shred Betties Magazine interview with Kelly Clark
- EXPN Athlete Bio
- Mount Snow Athlete Bio