||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
Career highlights 
In 2009, Gabeira won the ESPY award for Best Female Action Sports Athlete. Later that year, Gabeira surfed the biggest wave ever by a female when she successfully surfed a 45-foot wave at Dungeons, a big wave surf spot in South Africa.
In 2010, she was awarded with the Billabong Girls Best Overall Performance Award for a record four straight years in a row.
Personal life 
Gabeira's father is Fernando Gabeira, one of the founding members of the Green Party of Brazil. Her father is also a former member of a guerilla group responsible for the kidnapping of the US Ambassador in Brazil, Charles Elbrick, in 1969. Since early 2011 she has been dating Australian actor Jesse Spencer.
- The Extreme Scene The Extreme Scene: Congrats to Maya Gabeira for Winning Best Female Action Sport Athlete ESPY
- Transworld Surf Maya Gabeira Rides The Biggest Wave Ever By A Woman
- Explorer Girls Maya Gabeira Wins Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Award Forth Year in a Row
-  Maya Gabeira - Professional X Games Athlete Profile Maya Gabeira
- Maya Gabeira - Official Home Page (Portuguese)