Rumbek cattle camp
Location in South Sudan.
|Region||Bahr el Ghazal|
|• Total||43,595.08 km2 (16,832.15 sq mi)|
|Population (2008 census)|
|• Density||16/km2 (41/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Lakes (al-Buhayrat) is one of the ten states of South Sudan. It has an area of 40,235 km². Rumbek is the capital of the state. Lakes is in the Bahr el Ghazal region of South Sudan, in addition to Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Western Bahr el Ghazal, and Warrap states. Bahr el Ghazal itself was a former province which was split from the Anglo-Egyptian mudiriyat, or province of Equatoria in 1948. The eastern border is the White Nile with Jonglei on the opposite bank. To the northeast lies Unity State. Other borders include Warrap State towards the northwest, Western Equatoria to the south and west, and Central Equatoria to the south.
Like all states in South Sudan, Lakes is divided into counties; there are eight counties, each headed by a County Commissioner.
|Cueibet||4,823.56||47,041||Kongor Deng Kongor? (SPLM)|
|Rumbek North||4,531.13||43,410||Stephen Mathiang Deng|
|Rumbek Central||3,866.85||153,550||Abraham Meen Kuc (SPLM)|
|Wulu||11,700.60||40,550||Stephen Thiang Mangar|
|Rumbek East||3,588.10||122,832||David Marial Gumke (SPLM)|
|Yirol West||5,024.84||103,190||Majak Ruei Angong|
167,|| Simon Majok Reech (SPLM In Opposition)
|Awerial||4,659.10||47,041||Simon Aguto Kok (SPLM)|
The counties are further divided into Payams, then Bomas.
- Caretaker govenor – Matur Chut Dhuol (SPLM)
- Deputy Governor - Santo Mading Domic
- Director General for Local Government and Traditional Authority - Samuel Mabor Kedit
- Minister of Education - Dut Makoi (SPLM)
- Minister of Finance and Economic Planning - Maker Dit(SPLM)
- Director General for Finance and Administration - Kuol Ayulo Kuol
- Minister of Health - Gumwel Nhom Abur.
- Minister for Physical Infrastructure - Meen Kuc (SPLM)
- Minister for Agriculture - Adet Majuong
- Minister for Information, Communication, Culture, Youth and Sports - Mrs. Mariem Paul (SPLM)
- Minister for Social Welfare - Mrs.Achol Aguek (USAP 2)
- Minister for Public Service and Human Resources Development - Mr.Dhieu Wel Takpiny
Lakes state is where most cycle of revenge and cattle raiding remain since CPA was signed in 2005 between Republic of Sudan and the former rebel the SPLA/M. Manyang Mayom, the Human Right journalist kept Engle eye on Lakes state issues to oppress the state government who used oppressive law on it citizen. Mayom was viewed as an Icon for his stand to protect human Right in Lakes state and across South Sudan. Mayom won Human Right Watch Award in August 4, 2010.
- Rumbek Central - Mr.Maweet (SPLM)
- Rumbek East - William Madong (SPLM) *Replaced Mabor Mayen Wuol and Cirilo Majok Mading, also from the SPLM.
- Rumbek North - Stephen Mathiang Deng
- Wulu - Stephen Thiang Mangar
- Aweirial - Deng Abass (SPLM)
- Cueibet - Mayom Malek (SPLM)
- Yirol West - Majak Lueth Angong
- Yirol East - Manyang Lueth Nyithou
- Commissioner of Lakes state headquarter - Mangar Matoch (SPLM) replacing Athuc Michael and Benjamin Machiek (UDF)
- Commissioner of Lakes state police headquarters - Mading Duor (SPLM)