Le Nouvel Observateur
Le Nouvel Observateur (French pronunciation: [lə.nu.vɛ.lɔb.sɛʁ.va'tœʁ]; often shortened to Le Nouvel Obs French pronunciation: [lə.nu.vɛ.lɔbs]) is a weekly French newsmagazine. Based in Paris, it is the most prominent French general information magazine in terms of audience and circulation (currently at 538,200).
Since 1964, it has covered political, business and economic news. It features extensive coverage of European, Middle Eastern and African political, commercial and cultural issues. Its strongest areas are political and literary matters and is noted for its in-depth treatment of the main issues of the day. It has been described as "the French intellectuals' parish magazine", or more pejoratively as "quasi-official organ of France's 'gauche caviar'".
The magazine's new charter, adopted in June 2004 (on the 40th anniversary of its founding), described the paper's principles:
- ...The Nouvel Observateur is a cultural and political weekly whose orientation belongs within the general social-democratic movement. A tradition ever concerned with combining respect for freedom and the quest for social justice.
Its current editorial board is presided over by two of its co-founders, Jean Daniel and Claude Perdriel, two editors-in-chief, Laurent Joffrin and Serge Lafaurie, as well as director general, Jacqueline Galvez. André Gorz and other journalists who had left L'Express helped found the publication.
Publishing history 
- Founded in 1950, it was initially named L'Observateur politique, economique et littéraire
- From 1953 to 1954 it was briefly called L'Observateur d'aujourd'hui
- From 1954 to 1964 it was published as France-observateur
- From 1964 to the present day it has been known as Le Nouvel Observateur
Related publications 
Additionally, the TéléCinéObs supplement includes articles about the TV and cinema worlds.
Finally, Challenges is an international business magazine published by Le Nouvel Observateur beginning in 1982. Released fortnightly, it includes information on companies and their managers at the CEO level all around the world.
See also 
- L'Express - left-center wing newsmagazine, owned by the same group as Le Figaro
- Le Point - middle-of-the-road newsmagazine
- Voyage Au Pays Des Nouveaux Gourous, France 3 documentary on Landmark Education, reported on by Nouvel Observateur