Hankerson at Redskins training camp in 2012.
|No. -- Atlanta Falcons|
|Date of birth:||January 30, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||211 lb (96 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Lauderdale (FL) Aquinas|
|NFL draft:||2011 – 3rd round – 79th pick|
|Debut:||2011 for the Washington Redskins|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Leonard Hankerson, Jr. (born January 30, 1989) is an American football wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Miami, and was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Hankerson attended St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. As a junior, he had 28 receptions, 606 receiving yards, and 14 touchdowns. In his senior year, he had 39 receptions, 803 receiving yards, and 14 touchdowns.
As a true freshman in 2007, Hankerson started two of seven games, and had six receptions for 63 yards and a touchdown. As a sophomore in 2008 he started two of eight games, making 11 receptions for 140 yards and two touchdowns. As a junior in 2009, he became a full-time starter. He started 12 of 13 games and finished the season with 45 receptions for 801 yards and six touchdowns. His Senior year he hauled in 72 catches for 1,156 yard and 13 touchdowns. The 13 touchdowns passed Michael Irvin for the most in a single season by a Hurricane. In the Senior Bowl, Hankerson stood out as the best receiver catching 5 passes for 100 yards and a touchdown.
2011 NFL draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 in||209 lb||321⁄4 in||105⁄8 in||4.40 s||1.51 s||2.53 s||4.21 s||6.94 s||36 in||9 ft 9 in||14 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Hankerson was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Hankerson made his NFL debut in Week 7 against the Carolina Panthers. In Week 9 against the San Francisco 49ers, he made his first career start. His rookie season was cut short after suffering a subluxation of his right hip and a torn labrum in his second game as a starter against the Miami Dolphins. On November 15, Hankerson was officially placed on injured reserve.
After nearly three months of relying solely on physical therapy, it was confirmed that Hankerson had surgery on his hip on February 21, 2012. Hankerson was fully healed from the surgery and ready by the start of training camp in late July. In the preseason, he competed with and lost to Josh Morgan for the starting flanker position. In Week 2 against the St. Louis Rams, he recorded his first career touchdown after catching a 68-yard pass from Robert Griffin III. In the Week 15 win over the Cleveland Browns, he would score two touchdowns with one of the them being a 54-yard touchdown pass while under triple coverage from Kirk Cousins.
In the season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, Hankerson scored two touchdowns. Originally behind Josh Morgan in the depth chart again, he was later made the second starting wide receiver opposite of Pierre Garçon due to his improved performance. The Redskins placed him on injured reserve on November 21, 2013 after tearing his left LCL and ACL in the Week 11 game against the Philadelphia Eagles
Having spent all of training camp on the PUP list, it was confirmed that Hankerson would remain by the start of the 2014 season on August 30, 2014. On November 4, the Redskins placed him on the active roster.
Hankerson's father, Leonard Hankerson, Sr., was killed on January 3, 1989, 27 days before his birth. He has three children, son Leonard III, son Kenarris and daughter Kienarria, with his highschool sweetheart, Marketria Smith.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Jones, Mike (November 6, 2011). "Roy Helu, Leonard Hankerson, Maurice Hurt to start for Redskins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Jones, Mike (November 14, 2011). "Rookie WR Leonard Hankerson is lost for the year". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- Jones, Mike (February 26, 2012). "Redskins wide receiver Leonard Hankerson has surgery on hip". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Jones, Mike (May 7, 2012). "Leonard Hankerson says his recovery from hip surgery is on schedule". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Jones, Mike (July 29, 2012). "Leonard Hankerson returns with confidence". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Jones, Mike (September 3, 2012). "Redskins depth chart: WR Josh Morgan listed as starter opposite Pierre Garcon". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- Harris, Mike (September 16, 2012). "Redskins-Rams: Recap". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 17, 2012). "Redskins-Rams: Week 2 Game Notes". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Tinsman, Brian (December 17, 2012). "Victory Monday Stats Pack: Redskins-Browns". Redskins. Retrieved 2012-12-19.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 9, 2013). "Hankerson: 'Everyone Has To Improve'". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Jones, Mike (November 11, 2013). "Leonard Hankerson encouraged by recent play". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 15, 2013). "Hankerson Seizes Second Receiver Job". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 21, 2013). "Redskins IR Hankerson, Promote Lewis". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Keim, John (November 20, 2013). "Leonard Hankerson has torn LCL". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Tinsman, Brian (November 20, 2013). "Leonard Hankerson Done For The Season". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- Jones, Mike (August 30, 2014). "Redskins finalize 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- Jones, Mike (November 4, 2014). "Redskins activate Leonard Hankerson and cut Chase Minnifield". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- Alper, Josh (March 11, 2015). "Leonard Hankerson announces he’s a Falcon". Pro Football Talk. NBCSports.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Adams, Jay (March 11, 2015). "Falcons Add Wide Receiver Hankerson". AtlantaFalcons.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.
- Reynolds, Tim (September 7, 2010). "Hankerson juggles football, school and parenthood at UM". MorningJournal.com. Retrieved August 4, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Miami Hurricanes bio
- Washington Redskins bio
- Atlanta Falcons bio
- Leonard Hankerson on Twitter