|Initial release||28 December 2011|
|Stable release||1.0.4 / 2 November 2013|
|Preview release||2.0.0rc3 / 13 November 2013|
|Operating system||Unix-like/Windows/Linux/Mac OS X|
Most of the interface and handle concepts are analogous to AutoCAD, making it easier to use for users with experience of this type of commercial CAD application.
LibreCAD uses the AutoCAD DXF file format internally for import and save files, as well as allowing export to many other file formats.
GPLv3 vs GPLv2 controversy
As the GNU LibreDWG library was changed to GPLv3 it can't be used anymore by LibreCAD (and FreeCAD) who has dependency on Open CASCADE which are only compatible with GPLv2, as both licenses are incompatible. Open CASCADE technologies were contacted by Debian team in 2009, and 2012 got a reply that Open CASCADE technologies is considering dual-licensing OCCT (the library), however they have postponed that move. A request also went to the FSF to relicense GNU LibreDWG as GPLv2, which was rejected.
- "LibreCAD the only major free Computer Aided Design program". Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- Dube, Ryan. "6 Tips To Get The Most Out of LibreCAD Free CAD Software". Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- Wallen, Jack. "DIY: LibreCAD offers basic CAD tools for free". Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Review about Linux LibreCAD and Linux Inkscape". Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- Larabel, Michael (2013-01-24). "FSF Wastes Away Another "High Priority" Project". Phoronix. Retrieved 2013-08-22. "Both LibreCAD and FreeCAD both want to use LibreDWG and have patches available for supporting the DWG file format library, but can't integrate them. The programs have dependencies on the popular GPLv2 license while the Free Software Foundation will only let LibreDWG be licensed for GPLv3 use, not GPLv2."
- "Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses – Is GPLv3 compatible with GPLv2?". The official site. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Prokoudine, Alexandre (2012-12-27). "LibreDWG drama: the end or the new beginning?". libregraphicsworld.org. Retrieved 2013-08-23. "[...]the unfortunate situation with support for DWG files in free CAD software via LibreDWG. We feel, by now it ought to be closed. We have the final answer from FSF. [...] "We are not going to change the license.""
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LibreCAD.|
- Official website of the project (en)
- Source code repository on github (en)
- Project website in SourceForge (en)
- LibreCAD community wiki At the current stage of development this appears to be the primary hub for user documentation (much of it "in progress" as of 20 Aug. 2013), among other topics.
|This computer-aided design software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|