||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
Lil Louis is the stage name used by Chicago-born house-music producer and DJ Louis Sims. He scored a number of hits on the Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart in the 1980s and 1990s, three of which hit #1.
His best known song, "French Kiss," featured vocals by Shawn Christopher and spent two weeks at #1 on the dance chart in 1989. The track features a several-minutes-long breakdown in which the music gradually slowed down in tempo to a stop. Even with its sensual sound, it crossed over to some pop radio stations and climbed to #50 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was a big success throughout Europe reaching #2 in the UK Singles Chart and in Germany, and number one in the Netherlands.
The video was directed by Marek Budzynski
In 2000, fellow producer Josh Wink released "How's Your Evening So Far?"—credited to Wink vs. Lil Louis—a track that heavily sampled "French Kiss." The song peaked at #3 on the dance chart. The song was also sampled in 2000 by female hip hop emcee Lil' Kim on the track "Custom Made (Give It To You)," which was featured on The Notorious KIM.
Louis also released albums under the names Li'l Louis & the World and Li'l Louis & the Party.
1989 : "New York" (Diamond Records)
1989 : "War Games" (Remix) (Diamond Records)
1989 : "Jupiter" (Diamond Records)
1989 : "Frequency" (Remix) (Diamond Records)
- "I Called U" (Original Mix)
- "Blackout" (Original Mix)
- "Tuch Me" (Written with Larry Heard)
- "French Kiss"
- "War Games"
- "6 AM" (Larry Heard)
- "Nyce & Slow"
- "The Luv U Wanted" (Written/Co-Produced By Ferrante Eric(Hickerson)-Vocals By Sherel Riley)
- "Brittany" (featuring Joi Cardwell)
- "Li'l Tanya"
1992 : Li'l Louis & the World - "Club Lonely" (Epic/SME Records) (single)
- "Club Lonely" (featuring Joi Cardwell)
- "New Dance Beat" (Masters At Work remix)
- "Saved My Life"
- "Do U Love Me"
- "You're My Reason"
- "Dancing in My Sleep"
- "Funny How U Luv" (feat. Barbara Tucker)
1997 : Li'l Louis - "Clap Your Hands" (Go! Beat)
2000 : Josh Wink & Li'l Louis - "How's Your Evening So Far?"
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- Larkin, Colin (1999) The Virgin Encyclopedia of Dance Music, Virgin Books, ISBN 0-7535-0252-6, p. 198
- IMO Records. http://www.imorecords.co.uk/house-2/house-artists/lil-louis-biography/ "Lil Louis Biography"], IMO Records' Retrieved on 08 March 2011.
- "John Legend's Made to Love sample of Lil' Louis's The Original Video Clash". Whosampled. Retrieved 29 August 2013.