List of African guitarists
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of influential African guitarists.
- Barthelemy Attisso - lead guitarist of Orchestre Baobab, of Senegal.
- Oliver De Coque - Ogene Sound Super of Africa
- Mamadou Diop (also known as Modou Diop) - Senegalese rhythm guitarist, now based in the United States of America
- Afel Bocoum - Malian guitarist, Ali Farka Touré's noted protégé
- Henri Bowane - A crucial figure in the development of Congo rumba, early mentor to Franco.
- Sekou Diabaté (aka "Diamond Fingers") - lead guitarist of Bembeya Jazz, of Guinea.
- Diblo Dibala - a Congolese soukous musician, known as "Machine Gun" for his speed and skill on the guitar.
- Nico Kasanda (aka "Dr. Nico") - one of the pioneers of soukous music.
- François Luambo Makiadi (aka "Franco") - Congolese musician, founder of the seminal group OK Jazz.
- Nico Mbarga - lead guitarist and famous composer of the hit song "Sweet Mother."
- Oliver Mtukudzi - Best known guitarist in Zimbabwe and leader of the 'Black Spirits'
- Jean-Bosco Mwenda - Pioneer of African fingerstyle in 1950s, Congo
- DanSatch Emeka Opara - World-class guitarist of Oriental Brothers International Band
- Kabaaka Godwin Opara - Lead guitarist for the famous Oriental Brothers International Band
- Ray Phiri- Lead guitarist from Mpumalanga,South Africa best known for his exhilarating lead guitar sessions in Paul Simon's Graceland Album.
- Jonah Sithole Zimbabwean guitarist, played with Thomas Mapfumo
- Djelimady Tounkara, lead guitarist for the Super Rail Band of Bamako, Mali.
- Ali Farka Touré - world-famous singer and guitarist from Mali.
- Vieux Farka Touré - son of Ali Farka Touré, young rising star from Mali.
- Sir Victor Uwaifo- Maestro guitarist from bini/Edo speaking people, based in Benin City Edo State Nigeria.
- Dr Sir Warrior - Vocalist and Guitarist of Oriental Brothers International Band
- Jonah Sithole - Late mbira guitarist used to play with Thomas Mapfumo