List of secret police organizations
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2014)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|This article is outdated. (April 2010)|
In this list, reputable sources, with relevant quotes, allege the organizations in this list to be or have significant characteristics of a secret police organization: characteristics may include, but not limited to:
- Limited or no judicial oversight or similar accountability mechanisms.
- Regular practice of detaining dissidents, particularly at night.
- Regular practice of enforced disappearances.
Various individual or collective ideological beliefs may affect the completeness of this list: inclusion is based on general and widespread consensus, and not solely on paranoia or fringe theories.
Agencies by country
- Intelligence agency
- League of the Holy Court (Vehmgericht)
- Mass surveillance
- Secret police
- Secret service
- Star Chamber
- List of fictional secret police organizations
- List of historical secret police organizations
- List of intelligence agencies
- List of law enforcement agencies
- List of protective services
- Sweeny, John (30 July 2012). "21st-Century Torture". The Independent (London) (Independent Print Limited). p. 24. "…the Belarusian secret police, the KGB…"
- Guo, Jerry (4 October 2010). "The Regent Behind the Son". Newsweek (International Edition) 156 (14): 7. ISSN 0163-7053. "…Jang officially controls the internal security forces, including the secret police."
- "EU, US Leaders Should Publicly Condemn Human Rights Violations". Human Rights Watch. 2011-04-20. Archived from the original on 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Joseph, Claudia (18 December 2011). "Channel 4: We'll screen proof of Syrian torture". The Mail on Sunday (Associated Newspapers Ltd). "…the four main pillars of the secret police: military intelligence, air force intelligence, the political security directorate and the general security directorate…"
- "Another prisoner of conscience jailed on false charges in Turkmenistan". The Times of Central Asia. 24 May 2012. "…He was also beaten by Ministry of State Security (MSS) secret police officers…"
- Han Shih, Toh (5 August 2012). "HK adviser 'gave US$100m to Mugabe secret police'". South China Morning Post. p. 6. "…Several reliable sources within the Zimbabwe secret police (the Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO))…"
- "About the Parallel Intelligence Agency". Gooya.com.