Lorenzo Esposito Fornasari
|Lorenzo Esposito Fornasari|
|Also known as||LEF|
|Occupations||Singer, composer, producer|
Lorenzo Esposito Fornasari aka LEF is a vocalist and composer from Bologna, Italy. Over the last decade, he has had notable collaborations with Bill Laswell, Hamid Drake, Nils Petter Molvær, Eivind Aarset, Jamie Saft, Pat Mastelotto, Eraldo Bernocchi, Markus Stockhausen, Tony Wakeford, Trevor Dunn, Giovanni Lindo Ferretti, Raiz, Quintorigo, Cristina Donà, Gianni Maroccolo, Ambrogio Sparagna, Faraualla, Simone Zanchini, Enrico Gabrielli, Mariposa, Sigillum S, Ephel Duath and Fabrizio Puglisi.
Over the last decade, Fornasari performed in excess of two hundred events in prestigious Italian and European festivals and theatre stages among which we count the Wave-Gotik-Treffen in Leipzig with the band Owls (Tony Wakeford, Eraldo Bernocchi, Lef) Asymmetry Festival in Poland with the band Obake, with Giovanni Lindo Ferretti at Teatro Vittoria in Roma, the Teatro Grande in Brescia, the Cappella Paolina del Quirinale, the Teatro di Correggio, the Teatro Comunale Modena, Bologna in Piazza Santo Stefano, the Teatro Piccolo Regio in Torino, with Somma at the Teatro Dal Verme di Milano, and singing Contemporary Opera at venues like the Teatro Comunale in Bologna, and finally the Teatro Comunale in Ferrara. In 2004 he started working together with Eraldo Bernocchi with whom produced the album "Unisono" in collaboration with Bill Laswell. During the same year, Fornasari gave birth to the "Vaga L’Am" project with Quintorigo, Giovanni Lindo Ferretti, Enrico Gabrielli and Transgender. In 2007 he took part in the Somma project with Eraldo Bernocchi, Bill Laswell, Raiz, Hamid Drake, Nils Petter Molvær, Faraualla and seven Tibetan Monks. In 2008, again with Eraldo Bernocchi, he co-produced the remix album for Ephel Duath’s "Pain Remixes the Known". In 2009 he wrote soundtracks for "La torre riflette", a video installation on the Due Torri in Bologna. In the same year he produced "Costituto" with Bernocchi, Markus Stockhausen and Giovanni Lindo Ferretti, a 700 years celebration album for the Costituto of Siena. In 2010 he disclosed an approach to the bel canto as he made his debut in Nino Rota’s "Il Principe Porcaro" opera at the Teatro Comunale in Ferrara. Finally and more recently, Fornasari is a member of the trio Owls, with Eraldo Bernocchi and Tony Wakeford, which played their opening concert at the Wave-Gotik-Treffen in Leipzig in 2011. In 2012 he won the Genova Film Festival award with his "Cose Naturali" soundtracks. Fornasari is also a member of Obake with Bernocchi, Massimo Pupillo and Balázs Pándi. In 2012 Trevor Dunn is on tour with the band subbing for Pupillo. Obake is 6th in the list of 2011's 50 most important releases in Rock-A-Rolla magazine. In 2012 Lef wrote music for Saga, a Giovanni Lindo Ferretti's opera with 14 horses on stage. In 2013 he started with Lorenzo Feliciati the band Berserk! (Rarenoise Records April 2013). Pat Mastelotto, Jamie Saft, Gianluca Petrella, Eivind Aarset, Cristiano Calcagnile, Fabrizio Puglisi, Sandro Satta and Simone Cavina took part in this studio album as well. In 2013 the Sony Music released the Giovanni Lindo Ferretti's Saga cd, composed and produced by Lef.
Comprised of monstrously prolific Zu bassist Massimo Pupillo, Sigillum-S founder and noted experimental guitarist Eraldo Bernocchi – whom you may also know from his Mick Harris collaborations – drummer Balázs Pándi, and shapeshifting vocalist Lorenzo Esposito Fornasari, Obake operate in the twilight area between ‘art’ and sludge. Fornasari’s contributions in particular firmly place the music herein into the bracket of ‘art’ – he soars operatically above and through the music, then plummets down into the lower registers to intone, command, insinuate, mutter, howl and screech like a thousand chattering apes. His hollow, tombstone-scraping croak is the equal of any ‘Brutal Death Metal’ grunter, and his powerful baritone like a dark twin to the similarly gifted Mike Patton. Indeed, hearing his voice across the course of Obake, one could very easily believe that he was the mutant offspring of Patton and Attila Csihar – the demonically-throated voice of Sunn, Mayhem, Void Ov Voices and Aborym – so fluid, stentorian and damned dark are his tones, and, like Patton, he doesn’t merely sing – he vocalises, using his voice as an instrument for adding layers of texture. Fornasari elevates what would already be a seriously tasty musical proposition into a must-hear.—Paul Robertson, the sleeping Shaman on Obake
- Transgender 2000, Transgender
- A dream Made Of Water 2001, Transgender
- Etno Ambient Project 2002, Transgender
- Sen Soj TrumàS 2003, Transgender
- Litania 2004, Litania
- Unisono 2006, Ashes
- Mey Ark Vu 2007, Transgender
- Costituto 2009, Costituto with Stockhausen Bernocchi and Giovanni Lindo Ferretti (Rarenoise records)
- 23 Wheels of Dharma 2010, Somma with Bill Laswell, Hamid Drake, Nils Petter Molvær, Eraldo Bernocchi, Raiz (Rarenoise records)
- The night stays 2011, Owls with Tony Wakeford and Eraldo Bernocchi (Rarenoise records)
- Untitled 2011, Obake with Eraldo Bernocchi, Massimo Pupillo, Balázs Pándi (Rarenoise records)
- Untitled 2013, "Berserk!" with Lorenzo Feliciati, Eivind Aarset, Gianluca Petrella, Jamie Saft, Pat Mastelotto
- Saga, il canto dei canti 2013, "Giovanni Lindo Ferretti" with Giovanni Lindo Ferretti
- Etno Ambient Project (remixes) 2002, Transgender
- Pain Remixes the Known 2007, Ephel Duath - Earache rec
- Hera, Albert. "Lorenzo Esposito Fornasari". Albert Hera.
- "WGT festival". Retrieved 12 Jan 2011.
- "Asymmetry Festival". Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "obake at Asymmetry". Lesław Dutkowski. Retrieved 15 Dec 2011.
- "Somma project". Rarenoise Records.
- "Unisono album". eraldo bernocchi website.
- ""Dubbamonk" with Bill Laswell". soundcloud.
- "Ephel Duath on Earache Records". Earache Records.
- ""La torre riflette" video on youtube". youtube.
- "Costituto". Siena website.
- "Il Principe porcaro al Comunale". La Nuova Ferrara. 21 Nov 2010.
- "14° GENOVA FILM FESTIVAL_i vincitori". genova film festival news. 2 Jul 2011.
- "COSE NATURALI website". ARTICOLTURE srl.
- Barley, Lauren (11 Apr 2012). "The mighty Obake announce tour dates". PR rarely unable website.
- "BERSERK! cd". Rarenoise Records.
- "SAGA SONY cd". Sony Music.
- Paul Robertson, Sleeping Shaman webzine http://www.thesleepingshaman.com/. 10 October 2011
- "discography TRANSGENDER".
- "OBAKE productions". Rarenoise Records.
- "Ephel Duath remix". Earache Records.