Love Rain (TV series)
Promotional poster for Love Rain
|Also known as||Love Rides the Rain|
|Created by||Oh Soo-yeon|
|Directed by||Yoon Seok-ho|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||60 minutes
Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)
|Production company(s)||Yoon's Color|
|Original channel||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original run||March 26, 2012– May 29, 2012|
|Preceded by||Dream High 2|
Love Rain (Hangul: 사랑비; RR: Sarangbi) is a 2012 South Korean television series directed by Yoon Seok-ho. It aired on KBS2 from March 26 to May 29, 2012 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 20 episodes. Set in the seventies and the present day, it tells a love story over two generations, with Jang Keun-suk and Im Yoona playing dual roles.
Despite low viewership ratings in Korea, it was popular overseas and was the most expensive Korean drama presold to Japan in 2012.
It's love at first sight when Seo In-ha (Jang Keun-suk) and Kim Yoon-hee (Im Yoona) meet as shy university students in the seventies. It takes time for the hesitant pair to finally voice their feelings, but circumstances beyond their control send them down different paths. In 2012, In-ha (Jung Jin-young) is now unhappily married to Baek Hye-jung, one of Yoon-hee's former best friends. He has never gotten over his first love, and when he runs into Yoon-hee (Lee Mi-sook) after so many years, the two reconcile and look forward to making up for lost time.
In-ha's son Seo Joon (Jang Keun-suk) is a photographer, and he bumps into Yoon-hee's daughter Jung Ha-na (Im Yoona) by chance. Unlike her mother, Ha-na is a cheerful and vivacious girl, and though they initially find each other troublesome, even as they argue, they can't help but be drawn to each other. Gradually their feelings develop, and Joon and Ha-na fall in love.
Unaware that their children are dating each other, Seo In-ha(Jang Keun-suk) and Kim Yoon-hee(Im Yoona) announce that they are getting married, which will make Joon and Ha-na step-siblings. As both couples deal with the shock, Joon and Ha-na struggle with sacrificing their love for their parents' long-aborted happiness.
- 1970s (2513)
- Jang Keun-suk as Seo In-ha 
- Im Yoona as Kim Yoon-hee 
- Kim Shi-hoo as Lee Dong-wook
- Son Eun-seo as Baek Hye-jung
- Seo In-guk as Kim Chang-mo 
- Hwang Bo-ra as Hwang In-sook
- 2012 (2555)
- Jang Keun-suk as Seo Joon (In-ha's son)
- Im Yoona as Jung Ha-na (Yoon-hee's daughter)
- Kim Shi-hoo as Lee Sun-ho (Dong-wook's son)
- Jung Jin-young as Seo In-ha
- Lee Mi-sook as Kim Yoon-hee
- Kim Young-kwang as Han Tae-sung
- Oh Seung-yoon as Jo-soo
- Park Se-young as Lee Mi-ho (Dong-wook's daughter)
- Lee Chan-ho as Jang-soo
- Shin Ji-ho as In-sung
- Kwon In-ha as Lee Dong-wook
- Yoo Hye-ri as Baek Hye-jung
- Park Ji-il as Kim Chang-mo
- Seo In-guk as Kim Jeon-seol (Chang-mo's nephew) 
Jung Jin-young and Jang Keun-suk were costars in the films The Happy Life (2007) and The Case of Itaewon Homicide (2009). Im Yoona and Yoo Hye-ri were costars in the television series You are My Destiny (2008) and Cinderella Man (2009).
The drama was featured at the MIPTV, an international event for marketing and purchasing entertainment content held in Cannes, France in April 2012.
But due to the Korean wave appeal of its lead stars Jang and Im, of all the Korean dramas sold abroad for 2012, Love Rain went for the highest price to Japan before it even broadcast in Korea. It cost ₩450 million per episode, adding up to some ₩900 million (or US$10 million) in total. It has since been exported to 12 countries in Asia and Europe including China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, and Singapore, recording around ₩115 billion in overseas sales.
Egg Film, the production company behind the 2003 film The Classic filed an injunction at Seoul District Court against Yoon's Color for copyright infringement on June 6, 2012. In it, the motion sought to ban any future broadcast of Love Rain and any subsequent production and sales of the drama and its related products. Egg Film claimed that the TV series' plot and characters were too similar to the film, specifically the themes of a couple breaking up because one chose friendship over love, and years later their children falling in love with one another.
Yoon's Color disputed the claims, stating that the themes were common to the melodrama genre, since several scenes of The Classic were also similar to Yoon Seok-ho's earlier TV dramas. They accused Egg Film of "trying to jump on the bandwagon" given the overseas success of Love Rain.
|Episode||Broadcast Date||TNmS Ratings||AGB Ratings|
|1||March 26, 2012||6.1%||5.8%|
|2||March 27, 2012||6.0%||5.2%|
|3||April 2, 2012||4.8%||4.4%|
|4||April 3, 2012||5.3%||5.3%|
|5||April 9, 2012||5.2%||5.4%|
|6||April 10, 2012||6.5%||5.9%|
|7||April 16, 2012||5.5%||5.0%|
|8||April 17, 2012||6.0%||6.4%|
|9||April 23, 2012||4.7%||5.2%|
|10||April 24, 2012||5.0%||5.6%|
|11||April 30, 2012||4.7%||5.6%|
|12||May 1, 2012||4.3%||5.2%|
|13||May 7, 2012||4.0%||5.1%|
|14||May 8, 2012||4.6%||5.8%|
|15||May 14, 2012||4.6%||6.0%|
|16||May 15, 2012||4.2%||5.2%|
|17||May 21, 2012||4.7%||5.6%|
|18||May 22, 2012||4.7%||5.0%|
|19||May 28, 2012||5.5%||5.3%|
|20||May 29, 2012||5.6%||5.9%|
|Love Rain OST|
|2.||"Love Rain (사랑비)"||Jang Keun-suk||3:35|
|3.||"Because It's You (그대니까요)"||Tiffany||3:23|
|4.||"Love Is Like Rain (사랑은 비처럼)"||Na Yoon-kwon||3:52|
|5.||"Again and Again (자꾸 자꾸)"||Yozoh||3:58|
|6.||"The Girl and I (그 애와 나랑은)"||S.Jin||4:02|
|7.||"First Love (첫사랑)"||Kilgu||3:55|
|8.||"Fate (Like a Fool) (운명 (바보처럼))"||Seo In-guk||3:57|
|9.||"Love Rain (사랑비) - Piano Ver."|
|10.||"Again and Again (자꾸 자꾸) - Guitar Ver."|
|11.||"Song of Rain"|
|12.||"The Girl and I (그 애와 나랑은) - String Ver."|
|13.||"Shy Confession Song (수줍은 고백송)"||Milktea||2:50|
|14.||"You That Resemble Rain (비를 닮은 그대)"|
Awards and nominations
||Outstanding Korean Actor||Jang Keun-suk||Nominated|
||Best New Actor||Seo In-guk||Won|
||Excellence Award, Actor in a Mid-length Drama||Jang Keun-suk||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Im Yoona||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Seo In-guk||Nominated|
|Netizen Award||Im Yoona||Won|
- United States - Aired on LA18 with English subtitles beginning May 21, 2013 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 9:35-10:30 p.m.
- Malaysia - Aired on 8tv every Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
- Japan - First aired on KNTV beginning May 26, 2012. Afterwards it aired on Fuji TV starting July 25, 2012 for 5 episodes a week; and August 6, 2012 on BSFuji once a week.
Love Rain was re-edited into a two-part film which screened in Japanese theaters. The first part, composed mainly of scenes set in the 1970s, was released on September 20, 2013, while the second part, which focuses on the present-day, was released on October 11, 2013. The film later aired on cable channel WOWOW in August 2014.
- Kim, Myung-hyun (15 December 2011). "Love Rain: How does love change". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Hong, Lucia (27 February 2012). "Jang Geun-suk, Im Yoona TV series to begin run next month". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Hong, Lucia (22 March 2012). "TV series Love Rain to shower viewers with emotions". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Oh, Jean (23 March 2012). "Not just another rom-com for Jang Keun-suk". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Jang Geun-suk and Yoona of Girls' Generation to play lovers in new drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Lee, Seung-han (3 April 2012). "REVIEW: KBS' Love Rain - 3rd Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Yoon, Yi-na (10 April 2012). "REVIEW: KBS' Love Rain - 5th Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Choi, Ji-eun (17 April 2012). "REVIEW: KBS' Love Rain - 7th Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Ho, Stewart (17 April 2012). "Jang Geun Suk and Yoona Finally Kiss in Love Rain!". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Han, Yeo-wool (24 April 2012). "REVIEW: KBS' Love Rain - 9th Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (29 May 2012). "Jang Keun Suk and Yoona's Kiss Predicts Happy Ending for Love Rain". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Do, Je-hae (9 August 2011). "Jang Geun-suk to star in Sarangbi". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Chung, Ah-young (19 September 2011). "Yoona to star in new drama". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Superstar K Winner to Debut in Star-Filled TV Soap". The Chosun Ilbo. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Ho, Stewart (23 April 2012). "Seo In Guk Returns to Love Rain as the Rocker Nephew". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Hong, Lucia (23 September 2011). "Jang Keun-suk, Yoona attend script reading session for new series". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Lee, Claire (24 January 2012). "Hallyu and K-pop: the boundary blurs". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Jang Keun-suk, Girls' Generation Yoona begin shooting upcoming drama". 10Asia. 26 September 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Hong, Lucia (11 May 2012). "Jang Keun-suk, Yoona's TV series sold to 12 countries". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Lee, In-kyung (27 March 2012). "Why Love Rain Failed to Relate to Its Viewers". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "KBS 2TV's Love Rain off to a gloomy start". Korea JoongAng Daily. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (9 May 2012). "Love Rain Viewership Ratings Still Low". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Jang Keun-suk, Yoona's upcoming TV series presold to Japan". 10Asia. 17 November 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo; Lee, Rachel (21 August 2012). "K-drama leads hallyu". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Ho, Stewart (11 May 2012). "Love Rain to be Exported to Over 12 Countries and Regions Globally". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Sunwoo, Carla (14 May 2012). "Love Rain pouring around the globe". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Ho, Stewart (30 May 2012). "Love Rain Expected to Bring Big Profits From Sales Abroad". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Ho, Stewart (7 June 2012). "Production Company for Movie The Classic Files Motion Against Love Rain for Copyright Infringement". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Sunwoo, Carla (8 June 2012). "Movie production company wants to ban Love Rain". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Lee, Jin-ho (8 June 2012). "Love Rain Shows Displeasure at The Classic's Copyright Infringement Claims". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- (Korean) TNmS Multimedia Ratings Page
- (Korean) AGB Nielsen Media Research Ratings Page
- Ho, Stewart (24 April 2012). "Love Rain OST Amasses Over 20,000 Pre-order Sales". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Ho, Stewart (4 April 2012). "Love Rain Previews Girls' Generations' Tiffany's New Song". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Love Rain to be screened by Japanese KNTV on May!!". Korea.com. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Jang Geun Suk & YoonA hold a successful Love Rain press conference in Japan". Allkpop. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (23 August 2013). "Jang Keun-suk, Girls’ Generation Yoona’s Romance to Hit Japan Theaters". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-25.