Tiffany (South Korean singer)
|Birth name||Stephanie Young Hwang|
|Also known as||Tiffany, Hwang Mi-young|
August 1, 1989 |
San Francisco, U.S.
|Years active||2007 – present|
Universal Music Japan
|Associated acts||Girls' Generation
|Website||SM Town (Girls' Generation)|
|Revised Romanization||Seutepani Hwang|
|Revised Romanization||Hwang Mi-yeong|
Stephanie Young Hwang (born August 1, 1989), better known by the stage name Tiffany or by her Korean name Hwang Mi-young, is a Korean-American singer-songwriter and actress. She is a member of both the South Korean girl group, Girls' Generation and its subgroup, TTS.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Music career
- 3 Show hosting career
- 4 Acting career
- 5 Television appearances
- 6 Personal life
- 7 Discography
- 8 Filmography
- 9 Awards
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Tiffany was born in San Francisco, California, in the same hospital as former fellow Girls' Generation's bandmate Jessica Jung. Although both were born in California, the two coincidentally ended up attending and graduating from the same high school in Seoul, Korea Kent Foreign School, during their preparations for debut in the same group. Tiffany grew up in Diamond Bar, California, attending South Pointe Middle School and Diamond Bar High School.
Tiffany was scouted whilst performing on stage in her home country. She was invited to audition at the SM Entertainment Starlight Casting System and joined the company on October 2004 in Los Angeles, California at age 15. Despite initial objections from her father, she recalled packing up her former life and moving to South Korea after receiving the permission to do so within three weeks of making the decision. She trained for 3 years and 7 months before debuting.
Tiffany is the youngest of three siblings. Her older sister studied anthropology at Berkeley. For much of her early career when approached with the topic of mothers or family, Tiffany would often refer to her father or both parents; on a radio broadcast she stated that she missed her mother who was far away and she had not seen her in some time. However, in late 2009 she said for the first time in public that her mother had already died. She later said that her mother had died two years before she herself became a trainee, and that she is somewhat distant with her father, all of her immediate family living overseas. In August 2009 Tiffany was absent from a group filming in order to fly to the US and attend the funeral of her grandfather.
In 2008, Tiffany was diagnosed with vocal nodules, wherein a mass of tissue grows on the vocal folds due to strain or overuse. The condition gave her dysphonia, causing a hoarseness in her voice as well as affecting the range of her singing voice. After receiving treatment her voice returned to normalcy, but the condition began affecting her voice even more drastically throughout the latter half of 2009, causing her to take a break from activities to receive hospital treatment in September. She also experienced difficulties due to the disorder mid-2010, a company representative stating she would be taking a short hiatus while she was hospitalized again. While treatment has been successful, Tiffany has stated that her current voice is different from her voice previous to contracting vocal nodules, although it is not necessarily something she views as a bad thing.
Throughout her career Tiffany has suffered several injuries requiring medical attention. She fell after a performance of "Gee", injuring her left ankle and being put in a cast. Tiffany continued to perform with the group, albeit either sitting or standing to the side stationary. Tiffany also suffered a wrist injury while filming for Let's Go Dream Team in early 2010 and was seen wearing a cast while continuing activities. In August 2010, Tiffany suffered an injury to her right ankle after taking a fall during the SMTown Live '10 World Tour in Seoul. Although not a serious injury, she was put in a cast in order to make sure she would be healed enough to perform at Girls' Generation's upcoming Japanese showcase. She suffered a more severe fall two months later during another performance, injuring her posterior cruciate ligament. Due to this, she was withdrawn from the group's promotions of "Hoot", her absence from the spotlight lasting almost a month until she returned to join her fellow group-mates activities in Japan. The issue of Tiffany's return after injury was a topic of great interest within both the Korean and Japanese media.
Girls' Generation is a South Korean girl group formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2007. The girl group originally consisted of 9 members: Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun.
In 2013, Taeyeon and Tiffany have a duet of their own called "Lost In Love" in the group's fourth Korean album I Got a Boy. The two performed the song live on Music Bank, Romantic Fantasy, as well as You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook. During July of the same year, Taeyeon, Tiffany and Sunny attended Korea Day at the Dodgers Stadium in L.A., singing the national anthems of both Korea and US as well as pitching the first ball.
Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun formed a subgroup called TTS in 2012, releasing their first mini-album titled Twinkle during the same year. In 2014, they released their second mini-album titled Holler. The subgroup has a different musical direction and style concept from the 9-member Girls' Generation, placing their focus on each member's vocal ability while the latter group emphasizing more on the overall songs and uniformed group performances.
In 2008, she released two singles with fellow Girls' Generation members Jessica and Seohyun — the first called "Oppa Nappa" ("오빠 나빠", "Bad Boy") and the second titled "Mabinogi (It's Fantastic!)", a theme song for a video game.
Tiffany has also participated in the original soundtrack (OST) of SBS drama Jamyeonggo with the song By Myself (나 혼자서), and was featured in a duet with K.Will in A Girl, Meets Love (소녀, 사랑을 만나다).
In 2013, Tiffany participated in the OST of All About My Romance. The song is called "One Step Closer". The song is a ballad with dramatic melody arrangements and lyrics that include lines such as “Because I can hold you again” and “I want us to walk one step at a time, together”. “One Step” was released on April 17.
Show hosting career
Apart from all her solo works, Tiffany was the co-host of Mnet's Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo (Korean: 소년소녀 가요백서), along with Kim Hyesung from November 5, 2007 to June 13, 2008. Tiffany, along with fellow Girls' Generation member Yuri, was an MC on MBC's Show! Music Core. She left after a farewell on July 31, 2010 to focus on Girls’ Generation's debuting in Japan.
On September 5, 2009, she was an MC for the 2009 Incheon Korean Music Wave with Yuri & announcer Oh Sang-jin.
On August 29, 2010, she was an MC for the 2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave with Yuri & announcer Oh Sang-jin.
On December 25, 2010, she hosted Christmas Show! Music Core alongside fellow member, Yuri. She was an MC for the 2010 SBS Gayo Daejeon award ceremony which was held on December 31 at the MBC Dream Center with Yuri and actor Ryu Si Won.
She was also the MC for the 50th Anniversary Music Wave Concert which was held on March 12, 2011 together with Yuri and Nichkhun.
On August 13, 2011, she was the MC for 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave together with Yuri and also for K-Pop All Star Live in Niigata which was held on August 20, 2011 together with Yuri & Sooyoung.
On October 11, 2011, Yuri and Tiffany returned to "Show! Music Core" as permanent MCs after a 1 year and 3 months absence.
On November 12, 2011, she was an MC for K-POP Music Festival in Sydney together with Yuri.
On November 10, 2012 Tiffany, along with Yonghwa of CNBLUE, and Kikwang of Beast, co-hosted the 2012 SBS Kpop Super Concert held at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, California where numerous stars, including Girls' Generation, Beast, and CNBLUE have performed. She also hosted the K-Pop Festival in Vietnam with Taeyeon and Seohyun on November 29, 2012.
On September 1, 2013, Yuri and Tiffany returned as MCs for the 2013 Incheon Korean Music Wave, which makes it their 4th year as MCs for the event.
Tiffany and Yuri were special MCs for Show! Music Core's 400th episode which was broadcast on March 8, 2014.
From November 25, 2011 to January 29, 2012, Hwang played Carmen Diaz, a performing arts student with dreams of becoming famous, in the musical Fame along with Eunhyuk of Super Junior, Son Ho Young, Go Eun Seong, Kim Chan Ho, Shin Ui Jeong, Lina of The Grace, Choi Ju Ri, KoN and Kim Jung Mo of TRAX.
On September 23, 2013, SBS announced that they will showcase a new show called Fashion King Korea which will be a fashion contest among celebrities. Tiffany is one of the 8 celebrities chosen to be fixed members of the show along with SISTAR's Bora, singer Yoon Gun, Lee Ji-hoon, Kim Na Young, Boom, Lim Dong Wook and Choo Mi Rim. The show began filming on October 2 and premiered on November 17. She and her partner Ji Il-geun were eliminated on January 25, 2014, ending up in 3rd place.
In September 2014, Tiffany opened a public Instagram account.
Soundtrack appearances, collaborations and solo performances
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2008||Emotional Bandaid||"Oppa Nappa"||03:45||With Jessica and Seohyun|
|Mabinogi OST||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||With Jessica and Seohyun|
|N/A||"Holding Hands"||03:54||With Jessica, Tiffany, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun, T.G.U.S|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|The Secret, Between Us||"Secret"||03:30||Narrator of Kim Dong-wan's song|
|2009||SBS Princess Ja Myung Go||"By Myself"||04:14||Solo|
|Dropping the Tears||"A Girl, Meets Love"||03:50||Duet with K.Will|
|The First Memories||"Feeling Only You (너만을 느끼며)"||03:26||With Sooyoung and The Blue|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||With Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송) ||03:26||With Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny and Seohyun|
|2012||Love Rain||"Because It's You"||03:19||Solo|
|To the Beautiful You||"Rise and Shine"||04:01||With Kyuhyun|
|2013||All About My Romance||"One Step Closer"||04:16||Solo|
|SBS Gayo Daejun: Friendship Project||"You Are A Miracle"||06:11||With Various Artists|
|2014||Make Your Move||"Cheap Creeper"||03:01||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Sunny & Seohyun|
|W Foundation Campaign||"Talk About Love"||04:56||With Various Artists|
|Final Recipe OST||"Good Life"||With Henry Lau|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2014||My Brilliant Life||Herself||Cameo along with Taeyeon and Seohyun|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang (cameo)|
Television reality shows
|2008||Kko Kko Tour (Season 1)||All|
|2013||Fashion King Korea||All (Contestant)|
|2014||The TaeTiSeo||All||with Taeyeon and Seohyun|
Television shows hosting
|2007–2008||Mnet's Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo||Co-hosted along with Kim Hye-seong|
|2009–2010; 2011–2013||MBC Show! Music Core||Co-hosted along with Yuri (2009–2010; 2011–2012)
Co-hosted along with Taeyeon and Seohyun (2012–2013)
|2008||Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot School Girl||Herself||Nominated|
|2009||Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best OST||"By Myself"||Nominated|
|2011||MBC Entertainment Awards||Special Award: MC Division (with Yuri)||Show! Music Core||Won|
- The Birth of Stephanie Hwang CaliforniaBirthIndex.org
- Tiffany's Korean name: Hwang Mi-young (in Korean) Newsen.com (March 1, 2009). Retrieved on August 5, 2014.
- "Win Win Episode 11" (in Korean). Win Win. April 20, 2010. Korean Broadcasting System. KBS2.
- (Korean) Newsen.com: 소녀시대 티파니 "LA 축제서 캐스팅", August 1, 2007
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 홀로 숙소 지키는 티파니 "이제서야 외로움이 몰려와요". February 13, 2009
- TeamSOOMPI (2010-01-12). "Soompie Gets to Know Jessica and Tiffany of SNSD". Soompi.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Media" (MP3). Elvisduran.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- [KBS Cool FM 슈퍼주니어 키스 더 라디오 Broadcast 14th November, 2009]
- [dead link]
- "스타인생극장' 티파니, 일 때문에 아빠와 멀어져 '눈물 펑펑" (in Korean). News.zum.com. 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "소녀시대 티파니, ‘절친노트’에 불참한 이유는?" (in Korean). Nownews. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "소녀시대 티파니 목 상태 호전 "26일 ‘음중’ 참여 가능할듯" - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔" (in Korean). Newsen.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "SNSD's Tiffany to skip Music Core this week". allkpop. 17 June 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "SNSD's Tiffany is receiving treatment for her throat". allkpop. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Interview by 'The Musical'", November 14, 2011
- "소녀시대 티파니 발목부상 ‘음악중심 출연 반깁스 투혼’" (in Korean). Blog.daum.net. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "SNSD's Tiffany racks up another injury". allkpop. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "소녀시대 티파니 발목 깁스, 日 쇼케이스는 예정대로" (in Korean). Hankyung.com. 2010-08-23. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "무릎부상 티파니, 한달만에 23일 소녀시대 활동재개 - 중앙일보 연예". JoongAng Daily Entertainment. 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "소녀시대 티파니 오늘(22일) 한달만에 복귀 日서 공식 활동재개 - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔" (in Korean). Newsen.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- SM Entertainment Girls' Generation Profile SMTown.com. Retrieved on January 30, 2013.
- Taeyeon and Tiffany perform "Lost in Love" + Girls' Generation's "I Got A Boy" on 'Music Bank' Allkpop.com (January 11, 2013). Retrieved on July 22, 2014.
- Girls’ Generation Makes Their First Comeback Performances on “Romantic Fantasy” Soompi.com (January 1, 2013). Retrieved on July 22, 2014.
- Hyoyeon reveals she's only given one victory speech + Girls' Generation's performances on Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketchbook Allkpop.com (January 20, 2013). Retrieved on July 22, 2014.
- You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook's "Lost in Love" Performance on SM Entertainment's Official YouTube Channel YouTube.com (January 22, 2013). Retrieved on July 22, 2014.
- Danny From LA Meets with SNSD’s Tiffany, Sunny, and Taeyeon at Dodger Stadium Mwave.interest.me (August 13, 2013). Retrieved on August 4, 2014.
- SNSD’s Tiffany, Taeyeon, and Sunny Meet Up with MLB Players in LA Mwave.interest.me (July 29, 2013). Retrieved on August 4, 2014.
- Subgroup "TTS", formed by Girls' Generation's Taeyeon, Tiffany & Seohyun, debuts in May (in Korean) Daum.net (April 19, 2012). Retrieved on April 20, 2012.
- "Tiffany's Interview". Korea InStyle Magazine (August 2014). August 2014.
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 티파니 제시카 서현 게임 주제가 신곡 발표 (Girls' Generation's Tiffany/Jessica/Seohyun Announce Game Theme Song as New Single). IS Plus/Newsen. August 1, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- (Korean) StarNews: 티파니, 서현 이어 솔로 변신..'자명고' OST 참여, 김지연 기자. MoneyToday. March 25, 2009.
- "티파니 싱글 – 나 혼자서". webpage (in Korean). Maniadb.com. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- (English) The Korea Herald: Tiffany sings own without her members, March 30, 2010
- (Korean) 너만을 느끼며 (Feat. 티파니 & 수영), Cyworld
- "소시 티파니, '내연모' OST로 지원사격". Joynews. 7 April 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- (Korean) 카라 한승연, 티파니 후임으로 '소년소녀가요백서' 진행. International Business Times. June 25, 2008. Retrieved April 25, 2010.
- (Korean) spn.edaily.co.kr: 티파니·유리, '음악중심' 새 MC..."샤방샤방 즐거움 드릴게요", March 28, 2009
- "소녀시대 티파니 유리, '쇼! 음악중심' 새 MC 발탁". webpage (in Korean). Media Daum.com. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- "[09.05.09] SNSD at ‘Incheon Korean Music Wave 2009′". Soshified. 7 September 2009. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave Red Carpet". allkpop. 29 August 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Ryu Si Won, SNSD’s Tiffany & Yuri to MC for MBC’s “2010 Gayo Daejun”. Allkpop.com (2010-12-21). Retrieved on 2011-11-23.
- SNSD’s Yuri and Tiffany to MC 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave Concert. Allkpop.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-23.
- Yuri, Tiffany & Sooyoung to MC 'Kpop All Star Live in Niigata’. Dkpopnews.net (2011-08-04). Retrieved on 2011-11-23.
- "Taeyeon and Tiffany Set to MC at the 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok". Soshified.com. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun Perform ‘Good-bye, Hello’ for Final Show as MCs for ‘Show! Music Core’". soshified.com. 13 April 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "MBC Music Core: K-Pop Festival in Vietnam". Soompi. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Girls' Generation's Tiffany and Yuri to show their perfect teamwork as MCs for 'Incheon Korean Music Wave 2013'". allkpop. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "쇼! 음악중심’ 400회 특집 민호·소현, 철이와 미애 ‘깜짝변신". http://reviewstar.hankooki.com/. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Lee, JinHo "Eunhyuk Attends ‘Fame’ Showcase" Mnet News. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-01
- Korean-American pop star Tiffany Hwang throws terrible first pitch before Dodgers game Yahoo.com (May 7, 2013). Retrieved on August 21, 2014.
- "Tiffany, Bora, Boom, and more join the cast of new competitive fashion program 'Fashion King Korea'". allkpop. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Tiffany Joins Cast of SBS’s New Fashion Competition, ‘Fashion King Korea’". Soshified. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Girls' Generation's Tiffany and 2PM's Nichkhun go public with their relationship of 4 months Allkpop.com (April 3, 2014). Retrieved on May 4, 2014.
- Girls' Generation's Tiffany Dating Nichkhun of 2PM Chosun.com (April 7, 2014). Retrieved on May 4, 2014.
- Tiffany's official Instagram account Instagram.com. Retrieved in September 2014.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- TaeTiSeo makes a cameo appearance in Kang Dong Won's movie My Brilliant Life (in Korean) Hankooki.com (August 21, 2014). Retrieved on August 21, 2014.
- (Korean) Mnet Asian Music Awards – official website
- "2011 MBC Entertainment Awards Winner List". Koreangossipgirl.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.