Luis Videgaray Caso
|Luis Videgaray Caso|
|Luis Videgaray Caso at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in 2013|
|Secretary of Finance and Public Credit|
1 December 2012
|President||Enrique Peña Nieto|
|Preceded by||José Antonio Meade Kuribreña|
August 10, 1968 |
|Political party||Institutional Revolutionary Party|
|Alma mater||Mexico Autonomous Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Luis Videgaray Caso (born Mexico City, August 10, 1968) is a Mexican politician who serves as the Secretary of Finance and Public Credit in the cabinet of Enrique Peña Nieto. He also was General Coordinator of his campaign for the 2012 Mexican presidential election. On July 11, 2012 Peña Nieto announced Videgaray as the person in charge of promoting the economic reforms and the government agenda's related topics, and on September 4, he named Videgaray as co-head of the team that set policy direction for the new government that took office on December 1, 2012.
Until June 21, 2011 he was President of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (Partido Revolucionario Institucional, PRI) of the State of Mexico. He is Federal Deputy with license elected by the proportional representation principle for the 5th Circumscription, which includes the states of Colima, Michoacán, Hidalgo and the State of Mexico, he was also President of the Budget and Public Account Commission of the LXI Legislature of the Mexican Congress and General Coordinator of Eruviel Avila's campaign for Governor of the State of Mexico.
Early life and education
Native of Mexico City, Videgaray Caso is the son of Luis Videgaray Alzada and older brother of Mexican TV host Eduardo Videgaray Caso. He has an Economics Bachelor’s degree in the Mexico Autonomous Institute of Technology, (ITAM) . He graduated in 1994 with the thesis "Failure of the market, the regulation and incentives: Case of the mexican port’s privatization”. He got his Doctor’s degree in Economics, specializing in Public Finances at MIT with the thesis “The fiscal response to oil shocks”. Later, he taught classes in the Mexico Autonomous Institute of Technology, (ITAM) and in the Ibero-american University, (UIA).
In 1987 he was part of the Revolutionary Juvenile Front of the PRI party. From September 16, 2005 to March 31, 2009 he was Secretary of Finance, Planning and Administration in the State of Mexico Government. Between 2008 and 2009 he became National Coordinator of the states’ Finance Secretaries. Before that, he was counselor of the Secretary of Finance and Public Credit, Pedro Aspe Armella (1992–1994), counselor of the Secretary of Energy (1996) and Public Finance Director of Protego Asesores, a consulting company owned by Pedro Aspe Armella (2001–2005) where the project about the public debt financing of the State of Mexico, Sonora, Oaxaca and Durango stands out.
State of Mexico Government Finance Secretary
On September 15, 2005, when Enrique Peña Nieto was sworn in as constitutional governor of the State of Mexico, Luis Videgaray was named Secretary of Finance, Planning and Management, position he had for four years. In his own words, the three columns of his administration were “more investment capacity to generate more resources, strong finances and modernization of the administration”. During this period, several actions of fiscal discipline and modernization of the public sector were executed. The credit score improved and for the first time, this entity obtained an investment rank. The state’s income increased more than 150% by expanding the contributor’s base and making more efficient the taxes collection process. Additionally, the state’s debt of 25,000 million pesos was refinanced in order to be paid in a 25-year term with an interest rate 30% lower. This transaction obtained the “Latin Finance” magazine‘s “Deal of the Year” recognition. Also, one of the country’s most complete legal framework for providing services was developed and the country’s first projects under this guidance were executed.
- "Presenta Peña a su equipo de campaña; lo encabeza Luis Videgaray". Oem.com.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- El Universal. (11 July 2012). "Peña Nieto anuncia su equipo de trabajo; Videgaray entre ellos." (in Spanish.). Retrieved 12 July 2012. "Videgaray es nombrado coordinador de políticas públicas."
- "PenaNieto says Videgaray to Co-Lead Mexico transition team". BloombergBusinessweek. 4 September 2012.
- "Videgaray asume presidencia del PRI-Edomex - El Universal - Estado de Mexico". El Universal. 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Videgaray Caso, nuevo presidente del PRI mexiquense - Estado de México - Elecciones 2011". Terra. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Luis Videgaray coordinará la campaña de Eruviel Ávila". Oem.com.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Consulted in the “Raúl Bailleres” Library of the ''ITAM''". Hammurabi.itam.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Ficha curricular de Luis Videgaray.
- "Videgaray Caso Luis 1968". Biblioteca.universia.net. 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luis Videgaray Caso.|
- Latin Finance recognition for the debt refinancing; State of Mexico Government website
- Legislature approval for PPSs in the State of Mexico
- Benefits of the debt refinancing and credit scores
- “Deal of the year” (Expansion Magazine)
- Luis Videgaray promotes infrastructure projects in Spain
- Management Services Centers delivered in the State of Mexico
|Party political offices|
Ricardo Aguilar Castillo
|President of the PRI in the State of Mexico
2011 – 2012
Raúl Domínguez Rex
José Antonio Meade Kuribreña
|Secretary of Finance and Public Credit
2012 - present