|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
In the Japanese tokusatsu production Kamen Rider Hibiki, Makamou (魔化魍 Makamō?) refers to an assortment of monstrous creatures that usually dwell in the rural areas and consumed human beings as food. In contrast to the humanoid adversaries in other Kamen Rider series, most of the Makamou were usually gigantic monsters of the kaiju genre whose designs and names were based on the Yōkai from Japanese folklores. Furthermore, the Makamou are aided by a mysterious pair of humans. The name Makamou can be translated "Demonized Spirits of the Countryside".
Douji and Hime
The term used for a pair of Homunculi servants that aid a Makamou. Over time, it is revealed that they are actually a series of clones created by a couple, referred to as "The Man and Woman who Live in the Western-Style House", thus making them the main villains of the series despite not appearing that often. As seen in this debut in episode 26, they are powerful, though they prefer to evade rather than resort to fighting. In addition, it seems they're well-educated and civilized. There's indication that they are humans from ancient times who achieved a means of immortality, due to the fact they use Shikigami like the Oni had in the past. Over time, they managed to blend into human society without any problem and because of it, they're able to conduct experiments to make Makamou even stronger to not only defeat the Oni, but destroy humanity. They also possess telepathic abilities, such as controlling their Homunculi clones, seeing them as mere puppets.
When Orochi occurred, the Man and Woman halted their actions and enlisted the Oni to help them, making their way to the marker of the sacred land to halt the Orochi. Their Super clones started to rebel, but retreated due to being the weaker ones. Though they overpowered their clones, the Man saw no reason to pursue due to their short lives, with the Woman feeling bad for them. A year after Orochi was stopped, they created Satori abduct an ideal human (Hitomi) so they use her to create more stable clones. In the end of the series, they are revealed to the clones of the "Real Man and Woman", who still need them to carry on their work.
- "The Man" - The "Original" Douji (童子 Dōji?, Prince), A youthful man dressed in a brown kimono and is seen wearing glasses. He is the one who creates the Makamou and the Douji/Hime clones.
- "The Woman" - The "Original" Hime (姫 Hime?, Princess), resembling a young girl in a white kimono and carries a parasol.
They are the newest and "perfected" version of the Douji and Hime, perfect copies of the "Man and Woman" with one minor difference: they need to eat a special "Armor orb" to prolong their lives. Originally, they had childish mentality upon birth with a slight incompetence, and tend to goof-off now and then. They were first seen, eliminating the "outdated" Puppets, replacing them and the Parents. Soon after, the Supers serve to fight the Oni, lacking a battle-form with enhanced physical abilities and energy attacks making for it to let them battle the Oni hand-to-hand. In time, the Supers "mature" with a homicidal personalities to the point of being hostile towards each other and an obsessive desire to taste Oni blood. During Orochi, the Super Hime started to question their existence and their creators' intent, much to the Super Douji's annoyance. After being told to protect the Oni, the Super Douji starts to question their masters as well, and both begin to rebel against the "Man and Woman". This prove to be their undoing as they lose the method to prolong their short-lives and eventually dissolved at the same time Hibiki ended Orochi.
- Super Douji (31-47) - He wears a red uniform. He originally acted like a dimwit until he finally matured in episode 37, adapting a love for killing things. He fights with a baton.
- Super Hime (31-47) - She wears a purple uniform and fights with a metal fan. She's the brains of the duo and the first to mentally mature in episode 34 and question their existence and their creators.
Homunculi that act as field commanders to their weaker "siblings". They are able to create Parent Makamou and enhance the powers of the other Douji and Hime. Though mute, they are telepathic and are also controlled by the Man and Woman. They are then all destroyed by Super Douji and Hime after being created.
- Black Puppet (11-22, 26, 28,32) - Douji/Hime beings garbed in a black trenchcoat, given the task of creating the Giant Type Parent Makamou. The Black Puppet controlled by the Woman were given the Armor for use on the Parent Types.
- White Puppet (23-32) - Douji/Hime beings garbed in white robes, their task is creating the Summer-Type Parent Makamou.
The Douji/Hime servants that function as a Makamou's "parents", created by a special liquid from a Puppet's body and mixed with a certain object related to the Makamou. But these creations are imperfect as though they resemble their creators, the Doujis bears the Woman's voice, whereas the Himes speak in the Man's voice. But each Douji/Hime pair is different as they possess abilities based on their Makamou child, such as having crab claws or dragonfly wings. They can transform into Kwaidouji (怪童子 Kwaidōji?, Strengthen Prince) and Youhime (妖姫 Yōhime?, Spectral Princess) respectively to enhance their fighting abilities tied to the Makamou they look after. Over time, few of the Douji/Hime pairs are fed a specialized "Armor orb", by the Black Puppet, which increases their powers and gives them Armored forms: Mushadouji (武者童子 Mushadōji?, Warrior Prince) and Yoroihime (鎧姫 Yoroihime?, Armored Princess). No more were created after the Puppets were exterminated.
- Douji & Hime of Tsuchigumo (1-2): They were raising a Tschigumo at Yakushima, feeding it humans caught in their webs. While Douji was destroyed by Hibiki's Onibi, Hime attempted to offer Asamu to the Tsuchigumo, only to end up being devoured by it.
- Douji & Hime of Yamabiko (3-4): They were raising a Yamabiko at Okutama, resembling monkeys and prone to maniacal laughter while using the fog to cover their abductions, killing the victim and using their voices to feed the Yamabiko. While Douji was destroyed by Hibiki's Onibidume, Hime fell to Hibiki's Onibi, though their child was able to fend for itself by then. Another pair were among the victims devoured by Midaredouji in episode 13.
- Douji & Hime of Bakegani (5): They were raising a Bakegani at Boso, able to secrete acid and alter their right hands into crab-claws. While the Douji was destroyed by Zanki, the Hime later attacked Hibiki when he was sent to finish the job, killing her with his Onibi followed by a punch. Another set appeared at Niko at episode 15, raising their freshwater child until Zanki and Todoroki fought them. When the Hime was killed by Zanki's Retsurai, the Douji ran for it with the two Oni following, leading them into a trap only to be killed by being impaled by Zanki's guitar. Todoroki fought a reddish pair in episode 19, killing them both with one hit from his Retsurai. Another pair appear in episode 26, with the Douji destroyed by Todoroki's RaigekiKen and the Hime by a kick-version of the attack.
- Douji & Hime of Ittanmomen (7-8): They were raising an Ittenmomen at Okukuji, choking victims to death with their extend-able limbs and dragging the corpses into the lake for their child to feed. While Douji was destroyed by Ibuki's Reppuu, Hime escaped only to be killed by the same attack later when her child was mature enough to fly.
- Douji & Hime of Ooari (9): They were raising an Ooari at Fujioka until both were killed by Hibiki's Rekkadan.
- Douji & Hime of Otoroshi (9-10): The oldest of the Douji/Hime pairs, they finally awaken after a century to feed the Ororoshi at Chichibu. The two are rock-hard and are as equally strong, facing both Hibiki and Ibuki. Douji was killed by Hibiki's RekkaDan at the same time Hime was taken out by Ibuki's Reppuu. A second pair were created by the Black Puppet to track down and destroy the Midaredouji. Just as Hibiki and Ibuki joined the fray, the Hime was being devoured by the Midaredouji as Hibiki's RekkaDan destroyed her and wounded the Douji, who was weakened enough to be mauled to death by Akira's Disc Animals.
- Douji and Hime of Nurikabe (11-12): They were raising a Nurikabe at Shimotsuke, able to merge into trees, and use their bodies to body-slam a person to death before feeding the victim to their child. They were the first to be receive the Armored forms, overpowering Hibiki at the first round. But the duo regressed as a side effect of the armor in the 2nd bout, and were both killed by Hibiki's RekkaDan
- Midaredouji (乱れ童子 Midaredōji?, Berserk Prince) (13-14): Formerly the Douji of Ubume, he mutated as a side-effect of assuming armored form during the fight with Ibuki, turning on his Hime counterpart and their child in a cannibalistic manner. Referred as the Devourer, Midaredouji attacks humans, but prefers devouring its own kind which labeled it a reject and targeted to be destroyed. Armed with two swords, the Midaredouji was eventually destroyed by Hibiki's Bakuretsu Kyouda.
- Hime of Ubume (13): She and her Douji were raising an Ubume at Kamanishi Lake until her Douji was suddenly mutated and killed her.
- Douji and Hime of Yamaarshi (15-16): Recently created by the Black Puppet, the two were quickly charged with raising a Yamaarashi at Tsukama Village. They are able to shoots poison-needles from their mouths and have a quill-impression on their faces. The two overpowered Sabaki enough to have their child grab him. The Hime was obliterated by Zanki's Raigeki Fist while Douji escaped with his child, later killed Todoroki's guitar impaling him. A second set appear in episodes 21-22 under the Black Puppet, keeping Todoroki from interfering with their child meeting with Ubume. While their child undergoes the fusion process, the Douji & Hime attack Todoroki, bringing him to Ibuki so both pairs can kill them. In the end, both were destroyed by Todoroki's Retsurai, though they managed to take Akira out of the fight.
- Douji and Hime of Oonamazu (17): The first of the pairs to appear in an urban environment, they cornered prey for their child, using their stepping as a homing beacon to attract Oonamazu to its prey. As they possess a hydro-vascular system, they can shoot water from their mouths. The mustached Douji, who tends to walk on all fours, was destroyed by Ibuki's Senpuujin while the Hime was mortally wounded by Ibuki's Onidume, summoning her child as her final act so it could avenge its parents.
- Douji and Hime of Amikiri (19-20): Created by the BlackPuppet to avenge the Bakegani slaughtered by Todoroki. They are like the Bakegani Douji & Hime types, only able to fly and their right-hands can become tendrils around them to impale the victim and toss it into the sea for their child to feed on. The Hime was destroyed by Todoroki's Retsurai, with the guitar impaling the collapsed Douji with similar results.
- Douji and Hime of Ubume (21-22): Serving under the Black Puppet, they raised their Ubume to his specifications while protecting it from Ibuki until it meets Yamaarashi. While Ubume undergoes the fusion process, the Douji & Hime attack Ibuki, bringing him to Todoroki so both Douji/Hime pairs can kill them. The Douji was destroyed by Ibuki's Reppuu and Todoroki's Retsurai, while the Hime was destroyed by Ibuki's Reppuu
- Douji & Hime of Dorotabou (23-24): Douji & Hime: First of the Summer Douji/Hime created by the White Puppet, native-sounding in personality though their airheadness belittles their true maleficent nature. They chant "Ken, Ken, Pa" when approaching their victims, spit mud from their mouths at the victims and knocking them into the muddy water for Dorotabo to grab and drown before eating the corpse. They crossed paths with Hibiki and Todoroki, using a hit-and-run method of attack that ends with the Hime destroyed by Hibiki's RekkaDan. The Douji escaped thanks to his child, overseeing the multiplication process until the Oni battled the Dorotabo horde, with Todoroki taking out the Douji withRaigekiKen
- Douji and Hime of Kappa (25): The two were destroyed by Sabaki, with one of them falling to his Onidume attack
- Douji and Hime of Bakeneko (26-27): Created by the White Puppet, they have no battle form and have feline mannerisms as they sadistically enjoy playing around. The abducted young girls and children for Bakeneko to feed on. Though they escaped Hibiki, they battled Zanki until the White Puppet intervened. Douji & Hime oversaw the battle, cheering for their child until they were consumed in the explosion from Bakeneko's death.
- Douji and Hime of Yoroi Tsuchigumo (28-29): The last parent pair to be created. Because that were created by the armored Black Puppet Hime, they did not have the time limit and thus are the perfected version of Mushadouji and Yoroihime, armed with trident and sword respectively. After they defeated Eiki, they fought Ibuki and Todoroki. Though they had the upper hand at first, the Hime was restrained by Ibuki and left open to be destroyed by Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin. The Douji escaped, only to later fight the two Oni, before and after Eiki arrives to wound the Douji with his Rokushou before Ibuki dealt the final blow with Senpuujin
- Douji and Hime of Orochi (Movie): These two appeared during the Feudal era, prior to the formation of Takeshi. This pair Douji and Hime wore attire of feudal era mistress and samurai, able to fly like Will-o'-the-wisps and use pyrokinesis. While the Hime is killed by Touki, the Douji is slain by Todoroki.
The "Real" Man and Woman
Appearing in the finale, a year after Orochi, the duo reveal themselves when The Man feels fatigue, feeding him an item to prolong his life. Their 19th century western clothing differs them from their Asian-clothed creations.
- "The Real Man": Wears a tuxedo and top hat.
- "The Real Woman": A sing-song sounding woman in a European dress.
Types of Makamou
Makamou are the monsters that are hunted by Oni which dwell across the rural areas of Japan. These creatures are created by the Black and White Puppets and are protected by Douji and Hime until they have fully matured. Their size and shape are dependent on the environment they are raised in.
Throughout the series, the Makamou had been acting much differently and getting stronger due to the actions of the Man and Woman. But by episode 41, a chain of events called "Orochi" begin. Marked by the appearance of Kodama's Forest, every known Makamou appears at the same time, increasing in massive numbers to the point where not even the "Man and Woman" can control them. By the climax, the Makamou start to dissolve into a purple miasma and killing by the hundreds. Hibiki eventually stopped Orochi by performing the sealing ritual, dealing with a massive army of Makamou bent on stopping him from ending their era before it could begin. In the end, the Orochi was halted and Makamou numbers dwindled back to normal.
These Makamou the most common in the series. As they larger than the other Makamou, the Giant Type Makamou are essentially daikaiju.
- Tsuchigumo (ツチグモ?, 1-2): The giant type 818-centimeter (26.84 ft) spider Makamou with the features of a tiger, rarely seen in southern environments. It first emerged at Yakushima, where it was destroyed by Hibiki's Kaen Renda form
- Kaengumo (カエングモ?, 45): The 900-centimeter (30 ft) subspecies of Tsuchigumo that appeared at Nagatoro during Orochi, able to vomits flames. Zanki ran off to fight, but was overwhelmed by the Bakenko until Todoroki arrived. The two battle together for a final time and destroy Kaengumo with their respective Raiden attacks.
- Yamabiko (ヤマビコ?, 3-4): The giant-type 690-centimeter (22.6 ft) Makamou with the features of a parrot and an ape that has long hair which covers much of its face, able to mimic the sounds in the mountain side. It first appeared in Okutama where it was destroyed by Hibiki's Kaen Renda form. Another Yamabiko appeared in Kosuge, pursed by Zanki in Episode 13. The Yamabiko attempted to avenge its parents, only to be wounded Midare-Douji and killed soon after. Voiced by Katsumi Shiono (塩野 勝美 Shiono Katsumi?).
- Bakegani (バケガニ?, 5-6, Movie): The giant type 787-centimeter (25.82 ft) Makamou with the feature of a swimming crab with acid-shooting barnacles on its back, coming in a variety of colors from green to red, blue, black. The first Bakegani sighted attacked people near its saltwater territory at Boso with Hibiki having a hard time fighting a Makamou as String-instrument Oni are better suited t fight it. But Hibiki managed to destroy the Bakegani with his Kaen Renda form. A "freshwater" Bakegani was fought at Nikko in episode 15, lacking barnacles as it grew up on the river. It attempted to kill a weaken Zanki, be ended up destroyed by Zanki's Raiden Gekishin. During episode 19, Bakegani sightings increased with Todoroki defeating three in Kamakura, Hakone, and the Miura Peninsula with his Raiden Gekishin. He was briefly overpowered by a red Bakegani in Oarai, but managed to destroy it with Raiden Gekishin. A river-type appeared at Kazuno in episode 26, destroyed by Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin. During the start of Orochi, a red Bakegani appeared at Miura. While the first was destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei and Ibuki Shippuu Issen, four more appeared and corner them. The three Bakgani were destroyed when Zanki once more assume being an Oni and used his Raiden Zanshin to destroy two of them while Hibiki and Ibuki finished the other two off. A golden Bakegani appears at Sano, destroyed by Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin. A Bakegani appeared during the Warring States Era as depicted in the movie, fighting Todoroki until it was killed by Kirameki's Retsuban, Nishiki's Ressetsu and Habataki's Rekkuu.
- Amikiri (アミキリ?, 20): A giant type 800-centimeter (26 ft) Makamou with the feature of a lobster and a longhorn beetle. It a form of Bakegani that appears whenever there is a massive surge of Bakegani numbers. It is stronger than the usual version with flight abilities, usually taking both a guitarist Oni and trumpeter Oni to defeat it. Todoroki encountered one in Oarai, with Hibiki taking out its wings so Todoroki can finish it off with his Raiden Gekishin. A red/white Amikiri was used by Ibuki to train for the Orochi sealing ritual, but Hibiki was forced to intervene and destroy the monster with Shippuu Issen.
- Ittanmomen (イッタンモメン?, 7-8, movie): A giant type 787-centimeter (25.82 ft) Makamou with the feature of a manta ray and a swallow, usually handled by Oni talented with wind instruments. Like a dragonfly, an Ittanmomen spends most of its life underwater until it is mature enough to fly for long periods of time. The Ittanmomen at Okukuji was destroyed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. Another appears around Lake Tanzawa in episode 24, quickly destroyed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. A reddish Ittanmomen emerges from lake Tatebayashi in episode 44, destroyed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. Todoroki battled a mass of Ittanmomen at Hidaka.
- Ooari (オオアリ?, 9): The giant type 700-centimeter (23 ft) Makamou with the feature of an ant. Destroyed by Hibiki Ikki Kasei form as Fujioka[disambiguation needed]. During the start of Orochi, a pair of albino Ooari appeared at Hatoyama, destroyed by Armed Hibiki's KiShin Kakusei. Another Ooari arrived at Lake Motosu while Ibuki was training, destroyed by Ibuki's Ongeki Da of Yamase and Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin.
- Otoroshi (オトロシ?, 9-10): The giant type 1,180-centimeter (38.7 ft) Makamou with the feature of a tortoise and a rhinoceros. It appears every 100 years to feed, appearing at Chichibu in the guise of a boulder. Otoroshi's weak points were the eyes on its shell, which were blasted to bits by Ibuki before Hibiki's Gouka Renbu form finished it off. During the start of Orochi, an Otoroshi appeared at Higashichichibu. It came close to killing Todoroki until it was blasted to bits by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen.
- Nurikabe (ヌリカベ?, 11-12): The giant type 878-centimeter (28.81 ft) Makamou with a snail head and a Bagworm moth body, posing as a tree in Shimotsuke before it crawled towards the city until it was destroyed by Hibiki's Mouka Dotou form. During the start of Orochi, a Nurikabe appeared around the Western House. The Man was unable to seal it, forcing him and the woman to destroy the berserk monster.
- Ubume (ウブメ?, 13): The giant-type 2,300-centimeter (75 ft) Makamou that resembles an oarfish with white bird wings. Still in the infant at Lake Kamanishi, it was made the victim by Midaredouji, who ate it whole. A full-grown Ubume is sighted at Tsumagoi in episode 21, with Ibuki pursuing it to Asama Mountain where it fused with Yamaarashi in the following episode. During the start of Orochi, a few Unbume appeared at Higashichichibu. While the first four drove Ibuki away, a fifth that appeared alongside an Otoroshi was killed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. Todoroki battled a mass of Ubume at Hidaka.
- Yamaarashi (ヤマアラシ?, 15-16): The giant type 700-centimeter (23 ft) Makamou that resembled a Minotaur with the back and quills of a porcupine. It could fire its quills at victims and use its tail to grab things or as a swatting weapon. A Yamaarashi was sighted at Tsukama village at Ashio, over powering Sabaki until Zanki and Todoroki arrived. Todoroki chopped its tail off before it retreated to avoid the final blow. Yamaarashi went into hiding to regenerate before resuming its attack. The monster's kneecaps are slashed by Todoroki, collapsing to the ground to receive the deathblow of Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin. Another was sighted at Karuizawa in episode 21, with Todoroki pursuing it to Asama Mountain where it fused with Unbume in the following episode.
- Oonamazu (オオナマズ?, 17-18): The giant type 1,000-centimeter (33 ft) Makamou that resembles a catfish and an angler, raised in underground lakes and sewers. It was based from Shinonome's drainage system, guided by its parents so it can shoot it stomach out to grab its prey. Ibuki and Kasami tracked the Oonamazu down, with Ibuki stalling Oonamazu's stomach, until Hibiki arrived with his Reppa. Though Hibiki is suited for the job, Ibuki took to fighting the monster, using his Shippuu Issen to reacting to the Onishi he shot into the stomach before it retracted back into the monster, causing Oonamazu to blow up from the inside-out. During the start of Orochi, an Oonamazu's stomach appeared at Higashichichibu, destroyed by Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin.
- Kamaitachi (カマイタチ?, 32-33): The giant-type 700-centimeter (23 ft) Makamou, the first type without a need for Parents. Though weasel-based, Kamaitachi possessed the elements of a kerberos with its side heads holding sickles that it uses to create whirlwinds or use as weapons. A Kamaitachi appeared in Okutama to aid the Super Douji and Super Hime when they were fight Hibiki, Todoroki, and Ibuki. The fight ended with the Makamou escaping with the Armed Saber. The Kamaitchi remained in Okutama, preying on humans until Ibuki stalled it long enough for Hibiki and Todoroki to arrive, finally able to transform. With the Armed Saber, Hibiki assumed Soukou form and destroyed Kamaitachi with KiShin Kakusei. A few were among the Makamou at the Orochi sealing.
- Notsugo (ノツゴ?, 36-37): A giant type 700-centimeter (23 ft) Makamou who is he most brutal of Makamou, a scorpion with stag beetle pincers in place of claws and a spider's face. The Notsugo is able to fire needles from its stinger, and was nearly invincible except for its mouth, though a sacrifice is needed to hit it at its weak point. It appears every decade, last appearing as Shuki's final opponent, whom she swore to kill for murdering her parents a decade earlier. She attempted to hit its weak spot, resulting Zanki being mortally wounded and her being banned as Notsubo went into hiding. Ten years later, the Notsubo resurfaces at Nagatoro, feeding on humans. It evaded Sabaki and later fought Todoroki and Armed Hibiki until Shuki arrives to finish her decade fight, until the Notsubo escaped yet again. It would later appear again and pursued Akira, close to eating her as Shuki intended. But Zanki resumed his Oni form to save Akira, only for the Notsugo to eat Shuki. However, Shuki managed to get her revenge, fatally wounding herself to incapitate the monster for an enraged Zanki to finish off with his Raiden Zanshin.
- Orochi (オロチ?, Movie): The most powerful of the Makamou, which the "Orochi" is named after, last seen in the Waring States Era at Yoshino. With the aid of its Parents, the Orochi eats an ideal maiden once a year, forcing the villagers to sacrifice their daughters to quell the Makamou's wrath when its castle raises from the sea. Though its fate was never revealed, the Orochi was defeated by the Oni when the first Hibiki used the Armed Saber to fight it. Another Orochi appeared in modern-times, attacking people at a beach and hospitalizing Hibiki. But Asumu researched the "Warring States Orochi" event and managed to find the Armed Saber for Hibiki to use as his predecessor had, killing the Orochi as Armed Hibiki with KiShin Kakusei.
Makamou that appear during the summer, apparently starting the Japanese legend of Ghosts and Youkai appearing on Earth during the summe. Though they are much smaller than the usual giant types, the true power of the Summer Makamou comes from their ability to replicate themselves in large numbers and when one is destroyed they can easily be replaced. The key to destroying them is to destroy the original so no more replicates can be created. Ongekida (Drum Weapons) are the most efficient way of destroying them.
- Dorotabō (ドロタボウ?, 24): The summer type Makamou that resemble a mud-based humanoid with the features of rice plants, and an apple snail, dragging people into the muddy water it resides it. A Dorotabou appeared in Asahi Village near where Hibiki and Todoroki were training. The Makamou revealed itself to save its Douji, but has begun to multiply itself. While Todoroki & Ibuki uses Taiko gear to deal with most of the copies, Hibiki eventually enters Kurenai mode and defeats the original with Shakunetsu Shinku form.
- Kappa (カッパ?, 25): The summer type Makamou with the feature of a snapping turtle and a frog, able to grow a new head to replace the one it discharges from its body, morphing into a copy. The Kappa abmushed Sabaki just finished off an its parents in Chichibu, defeating him easily. Hibiki prefers to fight Kappas on his own, due to personal reasons, assuming Kurenai mode to defeat the original and the copy it made. But another copy was formed at the last second and it attempted to escape from Hibiki in vain. At first it places Hibiki at a disadvantage in the water due to gunk the Kappa shoots from its mouth, covering Hibiki's forearms and crystallizing. But Hibiki trained for such an event and managed to drive the Kappa out of the water to finished it off with his Shakunetsu Shinku form, though chipping away at the harden weights had side-effects for Hibiki's vocal cords. During the start of Orochi, a pack of Kappa appeared at Higashichichibu, with the copies destroyed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen while the original was to be killed by Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin, but was crushed by Otoroshi. A pair of Kappa emerge at Tatebayashi in (44), with one by Hibiki Soukou'sKiShin Kakusei, another by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. Some Kappa then appeared at Saitama, among the Makamou destroyed by Hibiki Soukou'sKiShin Kakusei, Voiced by Katsumi Shiono.
- Bakeneko (バケネコ?, 26-27): The summer type Makamou with the feature of a cat. It was stationed at an abandoned Shinto shrine in Saruhashi. By ripping off one of its many tails, Bakeneko can produce a one-tailed copy of itself. Hibiki had a hard time fighting the copies, even in Kurenai form, before they retreated once one of them was killed. The Oni eventually find out the location of the Bakeneko. Hibiki and Todoroki battle the massive number of copies, with Kurenai Form defeating most of the Bakeneko copies, with Todoroki killing the rest with his Ongeki Da of Rakurai. Once its copies are killed, Bakeneko attacks, overpowering Hibiki until the DiscAnimals came to his aid and allowing Hibiki to kill Bakeneko with his Shakunetsu Shinku form. During the start of Orochi, a pack of Bakeneko appeared at Hatoyama, destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's Armed Saber. A group of Bakeneko appeared at Tatebayashi in episode 44, destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei and Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. The surviving one did managed to kill Zanki. Some Bakeneko appeared at Saitama, among the Makamou destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei, while others were another Nagatoro and were dealt with by Todoroki. At Sayama, Hibiki fought a pair of Bakeneko while in human form, defeating them with his RekkaKen attack. A Bakeneko appeared in the Hyper Battle DVD special, destroyed by Asumu using Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei. Voiced by Katsumi Shiono.
- Tengu (テング?, 28): The summer type Makamou with the feature of an gorilla and a parrot. It appeared in Shimokubo, fighting Ibuki until Hibiki arrived, with the Makamou destroyed by Hibiku Kurenai's Shakunetsu Shinku form and Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. During the start of Orochi, a pair of Tengu appeared at Miura, destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei and Ibuki Shippuu Issen. Some Tengu appeared at Saitama, among the Makamou destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei. At Sano, a Tengu fought alongside a Yobuko against, Todoroki, who destroyed them both with Raiden Gekishin. Voiced by Katsumi Shiono.
- Uwan (ウワン?, 34-35): A Summer-type cicada Makamou whose presence is signaled by cicada music. It comes in two forms: a mole cricketish larva form and a locust-like adult form. A larval form appeared in Minato-ku, borrowing underground to grab its prey. Though Armed Hibiki managed to destroy it with KiShin Kakurei, another Uwan appeared in adult form. With the aid of Super Douji & Super Hime, the Imago Uwan managed to fight off the Oni before it split off two lighter-colored copies of itself. The copies were killed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen and Todoroki's Raiden Gekishin while the original was destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's Kaen Renda form. During the start of Orochi, a quarter of Uwan appeared at Miura, destroyed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei and Ibuki Shippuu Issen. A Uwan appears at Tatebayashi during Orochi, destroyed by Zanki's Raiden Zanshin. Another Uwan appeared at Saitama, among the Makamou destroyed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen
- Yobuko (ヨブコ?, 38-39): A Summer-type crocodile Makamou with a winged snake warped around it. A normal version appeared at Saitama, among the Makamou destroyed by Ibuki's Shippuu Issen. At Sano, a Yobuko fought alongside a Tengu against, Todoroki, who destroyed them both with Raiden Gekishin.
- Kaendaishou (火焔大将?, Movie): Kabuki's partner in crime. she was killed when her head was blown off by Hibiki's Onibi.
- Makamou Ninja Group (魔化魍忍群 Makamō Ningun?, Movie): Destroyed by the seven Oni: Hibiki, Ibuki, Todoroki, Touki, Kirameki, Nishiki and Habataki
- Hitotsumi (ヒトツミ?, Movie): A Summer Makamou with illusionary powers that serves an Oni Hunter, able to assume the form of teenage girl to mingle with humans while tracking his prey. He devoured Kabuki once he failed his masters. After his masters died, Hitotsumi battled Hibiki before being subjected to all Onis' Ongeki attacks before Hibiki finishes the Makamou off.
They are developed by The Man and The Woman, great improvements on the Giant and Summer types. Later on, some become immuned to the Oni Attacks after "The Man and Woman Who Live In The Western Style House" gathered data from the Armed Saber, which was stolen by the Super Douji and Hime.
- Nanashi (ナナシ?, 22): A hybrid giant-type creature whose birth was set up by the Black Puppet, enlisting the aid of the Douji/Hime pairs to offer their children. Both Ubume & Yamarashi arrived on Asama mountain, briefly fought each other until Ubume drove itself into Yamaarashi's neck, causing it to collapse to the ground with neither showing sign of movement as the BlackPuppet forms a cocoon over the two Makamou, causing them to mix and blend together within the chrystalis, merging them into one powerful beast with its components' abilities. By the time Ibuki and Todoroki arrived, the newly-born Nanashi emerges and overpowers the two Oni, immune to their Onigeki attacks. Nanashi would have killed them if Hibiki hadn't arrived, cutting the monster's tail off. The Oni use a Kaen Renda form/Shippuu Issen/Raiden Gekisen combination attack from all sides to destroy the beast.
- Yoroi Tsuchigumo (ヨロイツチグモ?, 28-29): The powerful version of Tsuchigumo made by the "Armored" Black Puppet Hime at Kayanoki, it stayed underground with it parents gathering its food while its armor hardens. It emerged briefly to help its father escape the Oni. Once fully matured, the Yoroi Tsuchigumo was about to take out Todoroki and Ibuki when Eiki came to their aid, the monster retreated only to be intercepted by Hibiki before it could kill Asumu. It overpowered Hibiki until he underwent Kurenai form, killing the monster with his Bakuretsu Shinku form.
- Kasha (カシャ?, 30-31): A summer-type Makamou with the feature of a white fox, remodeled by the Man with the added wheel characteristic of Wanyuudou, allowing Kasha to turn itself into a flaming wheel to incinerate prey and fire blasts from its wheel-collar. The Kasha attacked various people in Yotsuya, encountering Ibuki when it attempted to kill Asumu and Kiriya. Hibiki arrived, but the Kasha retreated. Ibuki managed to find the Kasha, with Hibiki joining the fight in Kurenai form and killing the Makamou with his Shakunetsu Shinku form. Another modified version of the Kasha appeared at Saitama, targeting two students from Kiriya's old school. It was among the Makamou destroyed by Hibiki Soukou'sKiShin Kakusei.
- Yobuko (ヨブコ?, 38-39): A Summer-type crocodile Makamou with a winged snake warped around it. Yobuko at Higashitsukuba was modified by "the Man" to be immune to Ongeki, with a sound barrier created around the feet and maintained by the snake's mouth. It managed to follow Hibiki, fighting him while the Supers kidnapped Asumu and Midori to take to Youbiko's lair, despite them managing to escape. Yobuko managed to overpower Sabaki, Todoroki, and Ibuki. But Hibiki later fought Youbuko with Asumu's help allowing Hibiki to concel the barrier and kill Yobuko in Soukou form with KiShin Kakusei.
- Satori (サトリ?, 48): A Summer-type Makamou with the feature of a wolf and an eagle, it was made by The Man and The Woman a year after the Orochi. It was sent to kidnap an ideal specimen, abducting Hitomi and keeping its pursuers from finding her. It knocked Kiriya unconscious, though Asumu managed to get him out of there thanks to the DiscAnimals. Once regaining consciousness, Kiriya battles Satori in Oni form long enough for Ibuki & Todoroki to arrive and finished it off with their Reppuu/Retsurai combo.
- Rokurokubi (ロクロクビ?, 48): The giant-type Makamou with the feature of head and tail of a hammerhead shark and the body of a centipede. It was created by The Man and The Woman a year after Orochi. Able to borrow underground, it fought the Oni after Satori was destroyed. It battled Hibiki Soukou, who destroyed it with KiShin Kakusei before it could harm Asumu.
- Kodama (コダマ?): A Makamou in the form of a single tree that generates an entire forest at its disposal, able to teleport its realm at whim to trap its victims, with its laughter from all directions maddening to those lost in the Kodama Forest before being eaten. Todoroki was dispatched to investigate, only to be ambushed by a wooden puppet Kodama created. The puppet managed to overpower Hibiki Soukou and drive the Oni out of its forest. The Kodama later reappeared, trapping Ibuki and Kasumi, whom the monster intended to eat. While Ibuki and Todoroki battle the medium, Asaumu & Kiriya find Kodama and manage to free Kasumi from it, the medium feels its master's pain before being quickly destroyed by Ibuki. As for Kodama, it was killed by Hibiki Soukou's KiShin Kakusei. Unfortunately for Takeshi, as well as the "Man and Woman", the Kodama Forest's sudden appearance was an omen to signals the coming of Orochi. Another wooden puppet medium appears in Tatebayashi during Orochi, destroyed by Zanki's Raiden Zanshin.
- Ōkubi (オオクビ): A wasp Makamo referred in one of the Takeshi data files. Though an Ookubi didn't appear on the show in person, it does appears in video game version "Let's TV Play Series"
- Bakekarasu (バケカラス): A crow Makamo referenced in the show.
- Wanyūdō (ワニュウドウ): A wheel Makamo, its aspects were placed on the Kasha.
- Ōmukade (オオムカデ): A centipede Makamo that didn't appear on the show.
- Ōnyuudou (オオニュウドウ): An octopus Makamo appeared in the Kamen Rider Hibiki novel, "The compass to tomorrow".