Management Development Institute
|Management Development Institute|
|[[File:motto = योगः कर्म सुकौशलम् Yogāh Kārmāsu Kaushālām (Sanskrit) – from the Gita 2:50|frameless|upright=1]]|
|Motto in English||Perfection in action is Yoga|
|Type||Autonomous Business School|
|Location||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|Campus||Urban, 37 acres (150,000 m2)|
Management Development Institute (MDI) is one of the premier business schools in Bharat (India). It was established in 1973 and is located in Gurgaon, a commercial hub near the Indian capital of New Delhi. Its second campus has come up near Murshidabad, West Bengal.
- 1 History
- 2 Accreditation
- 3 Campus
- 4 Faculty
- 5 IT Infrastructure
- 6 International Linkages
- 7 Academics
- 7.1 Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM)
- 7.2 Post Graduate Programme – Human Resource Management (PGP-HRM)
- 7.3 Post Graduate Programme in International Management (PGPIM)
- 7.4 National Management Programme (NMP)
- 7.5 Post Graduate Diploma in Public Policy and Management
- 7.6 Fellow Programme in Management
- 7.7 Executive Fellow Programme in Management
- 7.8 Part Time Post Graduate Programme in Management (PT-PGPM)
- 7.9 School of Energy Management
- 7.10 International Summer University
- 8 Continuing Education
- 9 Panorama
- 10 Annual Events
- 11 Clubs, Societies and Interest Groups
- 12 Past Directors
- 13 Alumni
- 14 References
- 15 External links
Management Development Institute was formed as an autonomous body in 1973, in collaboration with several global institutions like UNDP, UNIDO, World Bank and ILO, with an initial grant received from KfW, West Germany, and with the active support of Industrial Finance Corporation of India (IFCI). T. N. Kapoor was the first Director. The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM) was started in 1994.
MDI is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), London, reaccredited in 2011. It also holds a South Asian Quality Assurance System (SAQS) accreditation, awarded in 2005 by the Association’s International Accreditation Advisory Board 
MDI consistently ranks among the top 10 business schools in India. In the recent years, it was ranked #8 by MBA Universe's 2013 Rankings, which were conducted under former IIM Ahmedabad director, Dr. Bakul Dholakia . It was also ranked No. 6 by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India. In 2011, it was ranked No. 6 by Outlook magazine and in the limited participation CSR-GHRDC B-School Survey 2011 it was ranked #9.
MDI has its own campus spread over 37 acres (150,000 m2) in Gurgaon. The campus is about 12 km. from Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi. MDI has a pretty campus teeming with red brick buildings and dotted with trees. The buildings have been given such names as Gurukul, Lakshaya, Scholars, Renaissance, Parthenon etc. Moreover, MDI boasts of air-conditioned class rooms, library and computer centre, fully furnished residences for participants, executive suites, facilities and recreation areas like golf course and floodlit badminton, tennis and basketball courts.
The MDI library, called Gyan Grih, is among the best business school libraries in North India. It has a collection of over 60,000 books, in addition to electronic resources which include books, journals, databases, audio-visual materials, CDs/DVDs, e-journals, reports,case studies, conference proceedings, training manuals, etc. The electronic library which is accessible across the campus network includes major international online databases such as Proquest's ABI/INFORM, Emerald Full text collection, JSTOR,IEEE Online Library, ISI Emerging Markets, etc. The library provides round-the-clock service to the academic community, seven days a week.
There are 75 full-time faculty members at MDI.
MDI has a computing facility consisting of 698 PC nodes. It has two computer labs with 140 computers.
The UK-based Association of MBAs (AMBA) has accredited MDI's Post Graduate Programme in Management, Post Graduate Programme in Human Resources, National Management Programme and Executive Management Programme. MDI has student exchange tie-ups with international schools that include
- Kenan-Flagler Business School (North Carolina, USA)
- RSM Erasmus University (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
- ESCP-EAP (Paris, France), EDHEC Business School (Lille and Nice, France)
- Bocconi University (Milan, Italy)
- Robert H. Smith School of Business (Maryland, USA)
- Frankfurt School of Finance & Management (Frankfurt, Germany)
- Solvay Business School (Brussels, Belgium)
- Copenhagen Business School (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- BI Norwegian Business School (Oslo, Norway)
- Asian Institute of Technology (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Lahore University of Management Sciences (Lahore, Pakistan) among a host of others.
||This college or university section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. The specific problem is: per WP:UNIGUIDE there shouldn't be a list of degrees/programmes offered. (February 2012)|
Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM)
PGPM is the flagship programme of MDI. It is one of the most coveted programmes at MDI and ranks among the best across the top B-Schools in Bharat (India). It is the first PGPM programme of the country that has been accredited by a global accreditation body, namely, AMBA (Association of MBAs), UK.
Post Graduate Programme – Human Resource Management (PGP-HRM)
Post Graduate Programme in Human Resource Management was launched in collaboration with the National HRD Network in July 2004 at MDI.
Post Graduate Programme in International Management (PGPIM)
Post Graduate Programme in International Management (PGP-IM) was launched in June 2006 by MDI in collaboration with the European School of Management (ESCP-EAP), France. The dual degree programme is delivered partly in India (MDI) and partly in Europe (ESCP-EAP campuses). After a stint at MDI, graduates have the option to spend about 4 months in Turin, Paris, Madrid or Berlin where they get exposed to class room teaching as well as least 4–6 months of internship. The program includes foreign languages as part of the curriculum. The course has an annual intake of around 35.
National Management Programme (NMP)
The National Management Programme (NMP) is a 15-month full-time MBA programme and was launched in 1988 with the support of the Department of Personnel & Training, Government of India. The NMP is designed for young managers working in both public and private enterprises across different sectors of the economy. This programme has the approval of the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Government of India. This program is accredited by AMBA, UK. For admission, the applicants must hold a bachelor's degree and minimum 5 years of post qualification executive work experience. The Program has strong academic collaboration with ESCP-Europe. Under the aegis of International education module, NMP participants spend 1.5 months in ESCP-Europe. This program has been accredited by the Association of MBAs.
Post Graduate Diploma in Public Policy and Management
The programme in Public Policy and Management is sponsored by the Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India. It is designed to equip the experienced Government servants with the relevant management concepts, skills and techniques in policy formulation, policy interpretation/analysis and policy implementation. The first year of the Diploma programme is full-time residential and includes a six-week term at the George Mason University, Washington DC. During the second year, the participants return to their respective work locations but continue to work on a dissertation on a relevant topic of their interest.
Fellow Programme in Management
The objective of Fellow Programme in Management is to develop outstanding scholars for careers in teaching and research at leading business schools. To accomplish this, the Programme provides students with academic knowledge and research skills that make them specialised researchers, with adequate depth of knowledge in various knowledge-domains of management. The FPM Programme is largely residential in nature and would take approximately three to four years to complete. During this period, the student goes through appropriate course work and submits a Thesis at the end of the Programme. The Thesis should make a significant contribution to the discipline of management or to one of its source disciplines.
Executive Fellow Programme in Management
The Executive Fellow Programme in Management (EFPM) caters to the scholarly needs of working business executives and is largely a non-residential programme. The programme offers opportunities for enhancing executives’ research and consulting skills, professional competence and leadership skills through its carefully designed curriculum. Its course structure is similar to that of FPM with special emphasis given on knowledge domain areas like Business Policy and Strategy Management, Finance, Human Resource and Organizational Development, Human Resource Management, Information Management, Marketing and Operations Management.
Part Time Post Graduate Programme in Management (PT-PGPM)
The Part Time Post Graduate Programme in Management (Formerly Executive Management Programme) at MDI is a three-year course which requires a minimum of three years of post qualification executive work experience.
School of Energy Management
MDI Gurgaon has launched a 15-month Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (EPGDBM): Energy Management with specialisation in Power Distribution for working executives in power utilities, in collaboration with Ministry of Power, Government of India and USAID. The purpose of the program is to select, train, and develop the manpower in power distribution units so as to meet the challenge of developing and managing distribution systems. The programme has 12 months of classroom training in MDI complex and another 3 months for project work. A minimum of 5 years of post qualification executive work experience in power sector is required for this course. This program has been accredited by the Association of MBAs.
International Summer University
The latest addition to the gamut of courses offered at MDI is the International Summer University, a unique and one of its kind initiative in India designed to reach out to outstanding MBA students spread across the length and breadth of the country, and international students looking to obtain an insight into the Indian business environment, the business practices and the Indian consumer behavior. The primary agenda is to provide an exposure that will enhance knowledge relevant to business management in a global context and develop national and international networks.
MDI offers various specialised programmes for practising managers and management faculty. These include short duration residential Management Development Programmes (MDP), In-Company Sponsored Programmes, Advanced Management Programmes (AMP), Quality Improvement Programmes (QIP), which is designed to fill knowledge and skill gaps in different functional areas. Experience required to enroll for PGDM in the Energy Management is a minimum of 5 years.
Imperium is MDI’s flagship annual inter B-school management and cultural fest, where the finest students from the best business schools in India and abroad battle it out for supremacy in intellect and creativity. Event spans across all verticals, including Marketing, finance, Strategy, IT consulting, and Operations. An online strategy game 'Nautica' is also organised which has received a strongly positive response from business schools all over India.
Illumina is the annual disguised market research event at MDI. Research projects are undertaken on behalf the corporate world and is incorporated in a traditional Diwali Mela for local visitors. Illumina attracts a footfall in excess of 8000, thereby providing companies with a huge population base to select a relevant sample for their research problems.
Since its inception in 1997, Illumina has enjoyed an association with some of the biggest names in the industry including Pepsi, ITC, RPG Spencers, Airtel, SBI, Nokia, Dabur, HUL, Aviva, AMUL, Frito Lay, Corporation Bank, Bank of Baroda, Philips, Pepsi, ICI Paints, Britannia, Gillette, PGCL and many more. Illumina is conducted in 2 phases- Rural Illumina in a village called Pataudi near Gurgaon and Urban Illumina in the MDI campus. In 2011, Child Market Research will be integrated with Urban Illumina wherein students of different schools across the city will be the target audience for market research. Students from MDI are assigned marketing problems that they need to solve in areas such as concept testing, price-quality perceptions, attribute ranking, product testing, branding, image mapping, advertising effectiveness and consumer behaviour research. The students construct games around the problems, and as people participate, the students assimilate buying-behavior pattern of consumers.
Delphique, MDI's National Management Convention hosted in the month of November each year, is a unique platform for leading organisations, academicians, industry peers and students to interact and share thoughts on the critical issues faced by the corporate world.
Delphique strives for true value addition for its Partner Organizations through diligent and meticulous research backed by expert guidance from specialist professors. Over the years, organisations like PricewaterhouseCoopers, Deloitte, Hay Group, Procter and Gamble, PepsiCo, Citi Group, American Express, AON Hewitt, Mercer, Aditya Birla Group, IBM, Cognizant, DELL, and others has put trust on Delphique for value added research. The convention has been graced by the presence of industry leaders of the likes of Dr. R.K Pachauri, Noble Laureate, Dr RaviAjmera – CAO, Deutche Bank, Mr. Manoj Piplani – MD and Site President, Citigroup, Mr. Oscar DeMello – Country Head, Hay Group, Mr. Anil Sethi – vice-president, TCS, Mr. Sanjeev Agarwal – Founder and CEO, Daksh, Current Managing director, Helion Ventures Pvt. Ltd, Mr.C.S. Mohapatra – Director, Capital markets division, Ministry of Finance and others.
Delphique’09, the student research initiative spanning over three months, culminated in the two-day national management convention on the 28 and 29 November 2009. The panels for Delphique ’09 were based on the theme "Resurgence of Industries in the backdrop of Global meltdown". The event was inaugurated by Mr Arun Goyal, Director, Financial Intelligence Unit, India (FIU-IND) and attended by 40 eminent personalities from the industry. Nobel laureate and Director TERI, Dr. Rajendra K. Pachauri, and Asia CEO, Cushman & Wakefield, Mr Sanjay Verma, gave the valedictory address on 29 November 2009.
ADVENT is MDI's advertising and marketing summit. The Chief Guest of the inaugural session on the first day of Advent'09 was Shri S.K. Swamy, CMD, R.K. Swamy BBDO, who spoke about 'Connecting Minds'. Mr. Rajiv Bakshi, Director (Marketing, Asia Pacific), Discovery Channel detailed the nuances of media planning and buying. The final day was graced by Mr. Rahul Kansal, the CMO of BCCL, who spoke to students on the topic 'Social responsibility and ethics in marketing'. The final speaker on the second day of ADAGE, the Corporate Interaction Series at Advent ’09, was Mr. Prasanna Singh, the COO of Afaqs!, who spoke to students about ‘Growth through Innovation – the Media story’. Q’riosity, the Picture Quiz, was another hit among the plethora of events at the summit. Participation in Q’riosity reached overwhelming proportions, with over 300 teams from 27 business schools across the country trying their luck at the jackpot.
Clubs, Societies and Interest Groups
- Placecom: Corporate Relations and Placement Committee
- Corpcom: Corporate Communications Cell
- Alcom: Alumni Committee
- Webcom: Web Committee
- IRC: International Relations Committee
- Marquity: The Marketing Club
- Monetrix: The Economics and Finance Club
- Opsession: The Operations Club
- HR Direction: The Human Resources Club
- Strategist: The Strategy Club
- ThinC: The Information Management Club
- SEED: The Entrepreneurship Cell
- W5H: The Quiz Club
- Sanskriti: The Cultural Committee
- Hostel and Mess Committee
- Sports Club
- Vagmi: The Literary Society
Unnati is MDI's in-house mutual fund which gives students the experience of managing an investment portfolio. Moreover, it is India's first ever student-run mutual fund. It was conceptualised in June 2001 as a Diversified Fund with the objective of providing future managers with a launch pad to enhance their learning through the experience of managing a real investment portfolio.
Unnati's investment philosophy is of value investing through fundamental analysis. The analysts-in-training generate quality research to aid investment decisions. The second year Senior Security Analysts (SSA's) mentor the first year Junior Security Analysts (JSA's) in analysing sectors and evaluating investment options.
FPMConnect is a research scholars run initiative to connect & collaborate with past/present Research Fellows (FPMs) in Management Research Community. The online forum has researcher profiles showcasing their research seminars, articles. It is also used for sharing details of events related to research work with the community.
Samaritans is the social initiative club of the Management Development Institute (MDI). It aims at inculcating a culture of social responsibility among aspiring managers through various events within MDI, as well as by working with NGOs and corporates on significant projects. This club's objective is to harness the management acumen of ManDevIans in making a difference to the society. Their activities include identifying opportunities for students to collaborate with the corporates, NGOs and the Government, having a Literacy drive for the mess and cleaning staff on campus, a regular Newspaper Collection drive to maximise recycled paper as well as provide revenue for the club's activities, managing a car pool on campus to help save fuel, blood donation camps and creating awareness among the batch for social causes, like reduction of wastage of food, electricity and water. 
Prayas is a student run cooperative store to make available essential commodities to students in the MDI hostel. The store is run by students and the profit is used for expansion and for social causes.
- Mukul Gupta – 2012-Present 
- V.K. Agarwal – 2011-2012
- Pritam Singh - 1994-1998 and 2003-2006 
- T. N. Kapoor 
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (February 2012)|
MDI has a history of cultivating change agents who constantly seek to evolve the dynamics of the ever changing environment around them. Many of our distinguished alumni have chosen the entrepreneurial route, carving out a niche in their careers. include
- Vikas Bajaj – Joint MD, Bajaj Motors
- S B Khare – Deputy director general, BSNL
- Girish Aivalli – Country general director, Archer Daniels Midland.
- Yatin Pahwa – Head of strategy, Nokia
- Sanjay Verma – CEO-Asia Pacific, Cushman & Wakefield
- Saurabh Ray – Director of business development, Oracle India
- Rohit Mittal – Financial Analyst, The World Bank
- Anand Bagri – Senior VP, Axis Bank
- Niketan Madhok – Actor/model, BIGG BOSS SEASON 6 CONTESTANT
- Rahul Takkar – Co-Founder, Instaserv India Pvt Ltd
- Sh. Sunil Kumar Kohli JS & FA, MoWR; board director, NPCC
- Durjoy Datta, bestselling author
- Ajay Atreya Vice President, TCS E-Serve Ltd.
- Amit Khanna Partner, Accenture Management Consulting
- Amit Pande Retail Director, Louis Philippe
- Anand Narang Marketing & Solutions Director, Huawei
- Ananta Potturi Director, Conduria
- Ankit Gupta AVP, Treasury (Asset Liability Management), Deutsche Bank
- Archana Gopinath Associate VP, ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd.
- Arvind Mathur Digitize Quality Leader, P&G
- Ashish Agrawal VP (Investments), India Alternatives
- Chanakya Misra Vice President - International Business, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- Gaurav Gupta Director & Head of Human Resources, Carrefour India
- Gaurav Sabharwal AVP(International Brands), PernodRicard India
- Gautam Viswanathan Sr. VP & Area Head (Global Banking & Financial Institutions Group Sales), HSBC
- Girish Aivalli Country General Director, Archer Daniels Midland, India
- Harsh Kumar FA & CAO / Traffic, Indian Railways (Northern Railway)
- Jasmeet Chadha Director (Alternate Investment Solutions), UBS
- Nitin Govila Managing Director-Asia Pacific, Onduline Group
- Pradeep Malhotra SVP & Head- Integrated Business, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Prakash Prabhu VP &Zonal Head - South (Global Markets Group), Indusind Bank
- Purusharth Tripathi Regional Account Delivery Executive for Asia & AMET, HP
- R. Rajagopal Regional Head - North, MME, Citibank India
- R. Vijay Kumar Director, Calyon Corporation & Investment Bank
- Rahul Choudhary VP, Axis Bank Ltd.
- Rohit Mittal Senior Energy Specialist, The World Bank
- Sanjay Khare General Manager, MTNL
- Sandeep Thapliyal MD, Religare Capital Markets Ltd.
- Sanjay Verma CEO - Asia Pacific, Cushman & Wakefield
- Saurabh Ray Head - Online Sales and Operations, Google
- Sharat Goyal Investment Director, AMP Capital Investors
- Sreedhar Prasad Director - Advisory Services, KPMG
- Srinivas N VP - Mobile Financial Solutions, Comviva Technologies Ltd.
- Yatin Pahwa VP - Product Strategy & Business Development, Deutsche Telekom
- Tarundeep Singh Director - Marketplace Transform, Nike India
- Swati Jain Director & Head of Institutional Sales, IIFL Wealth (UK) Ltd
- Vijay Tangirala Director - Corporate & Institutional Relationships, ANZ Capital
- Vikas Bajaj Joint MD, Bajaj Motors Limited
- Vishal Bhatia Marketing Director, Reckitt Benckiser
- Vivek Raina Director - Asia Pacific, Oracle
- Yash Khanna Director Marketing, UK & Continental Europe, Tata Consultancy Services
- Amit Boni GM India, Motorola Mobility
- "MDI Murshidabad".
- "List of institutions accredited by AMBA in India".
- "SOUTH ASIAN QUALITY ASSURANCE SYSTEM (SAQS)".
- "MBA Universe's 2013 rankings".
- "CNBC TV 18 Rankings".
- "Outlook 2011 B School Rankings".
- "CSR GHRDC B School Rankings".
- Behl, Vinod (25 June 2003). "Serious business". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "The Telegraph: MDI, Gurgaon". The Telegraph. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Padamshree Dr. Pritam Singh talks to Business World". Business World. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "B-Schools plan accreditation". Business Standard. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Interview with Dr. Sujit K Basu, (Ex) Director, MDI". mbauniverse.com. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "AMBA webpage for MDI". Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Fellow Programme in Management". mdi.ac.in. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Executive Fellow Programme in Management". mdi.ac.in. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Corporate houses ignore 'natural debt' – Pachauri". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 1 December 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Delphique '09 at MDI, Gurgaon Talks About Resurgence of Industries in the Backdrop of Global Meltdown". coolavenues.com. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Delphique '09 at MDI, Gurgaon Talks About Resurgence of Industries in the Backdrop of Global Meltdown". coolavenues.com. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "MDI Gurgaon Organises "Advent 2009"". coolavenues.com. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Student-run fund chases good deals". livemint.com. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- "FPMConnect". FPMConnect.in. 2 May 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- "Samaritans of MDI celebrate C-Day". The Tribune. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- Communication, MDI (1 Jun 2014). "Mukul Gupta". mdi.ac.in. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Communication, IMI (1 Jun 2014). "Pritam Singh". International Management Institute. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Communication, MDI (1 Jun 2014). "MDI History". www.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Illustrious ManDevIans". mdi.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- Chowdhry, Seema (1 September 2012). "Sanjay Verma – The glass-half-full guy". mdi.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "B-School Profile: Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon". careeranna.com. 4 April 2014.