Mark Texeira at the Big Apple Convention in Manhattan, October 2, 2010.
|Born||New York City|
|Area(s)||Penciller, Artist, Inker|
|Notable works||Ghost Rider
Mark Texeira was born and raised in New York City. He attended Manhattan's High School of Art and Design, and was granted a Presidential Scholarship at the School of Visual Arts, where he attended for two years before dropping out to pursue a freelance commercial art career. During this period, Texeira took classes at the Art Students League. His oil paintings soon won mentions at the Salmagundi Club and the Society of Illustrators.
Comics titles Texeira has contributed to include Jonah Hex and its spinoff Hex (1985–1986), Psi-Force (1986–1987), The Punisher War Journal (1990), Ghost Rider vol. 2 (1990–1992, 1997–1998), and vol. 5, Wolverine vol. 2 (1993), Sabretooth (1993), Spider-Man: Legacy of Evil (1996), Black Panther vol.3 (1998), Moon Knight vol. 4 (1999), Vampirella, Cyclops (2001), Hercules vol. 4 (2005) and Wolverine vol. 3 (2005).
Technique and materials
When painting, Texeira begins with a penciled layout on loose paper, and following approval of the layout, will acquire reference photos or hire models to pose for him, in order to "capture the feeling of the sketch as closely as possible." Texeira will then apply a few layers of gesso to a Masonite board, and then carefully lay the drawing out in tight pencil, noting subtleties of skin tone and sharpening the image throughout the process. He will then create the underpainting, in which he applies sepias, or a mix of browns, blacks and whites. Any final changes to the painting, such as aspects of a character's facial expression, are made during this stage. He then carefully and thinly applies acrylic paint to achieve the final colors, lightly so as to not lose the underpainting.
- Ghosts #108, 111-112 (1982)
- Hex #1-9, 11-14 (1985-86)
- House of Mystery #308 (1982)
- Jonah Hex #89 (1985)
- Power Lords #1-3 (1983-84)
- Swamp Thing Annual #1 (1982)
- Stormwatch: Team Achilles #7 (2003)
- The Darkness: Wanted Dead (Image, 2003)
- Tomb Raider: Scarface's Treasure (Image, 2003)
- Union #1 (1993)
- Akira #37 (painted art) (1995)
- Black Panther, vol. 3, #1-4 (1998-99)
- Buckaroo Banzai, miniseries, #1-2 (1984)
- Clive Barker's Hellraiser #8 (1991)
- Cyclops, miniseries, #1-4 (2001-02)
- Ghost Rider, vol. 3, #5, 7, 13-19, 22-24 (1990-92)
- Guardians of the Galaxy #23 (1992)
- Hercules, miniseries, #1-5 (2005)
- Hulk #5, Annual 2000 (among other artists) (1999-2000)
- Marvel Comics Presents (Wolverine/Ghost Rider): #65-71 (1990-91)
- Marvel Super Special (Buckaroo Banzai): #33 (1984)
- Moon Knight, miniseries, #1-4 (1999)
- Psi-Force #1-5, 8, Annual #1 (1986-87)
- Punisher #36-37, 42, Annual #1, 3, Summer Special #1 (1990-91)
- Punisher War Journal #25-30, 50 (1990-93)
- Punisher: Red X-Mas (2005)
- Punisher War Zone #37 (1995)
- Sabretooth, miniseries, #1-4 (1993)
- Sectaurus #1-2 (1985)
- Sentry/ X-Men (2001)
- Space: Punisher #1-4 (2012)
- Spider-Man: Legacy of Evil (painted art) (1996)
- Terror Inc. #6 (along with Jorge Zaffino) (1992)
- Thor ("Tales of Asgard") #416 (1990)
- Thor: Heaven & Earth, miniseries, #2 (2011)
- Tomb of Terror (Man-Thing) #1 (2010)
- Conan and the Daughters of Midora (Dark Horse, 2004)
- Megalith #1-3 (Continuity, 1989-90)
- Vampirella (Pantha): 13-17 (Harris, 2002-03)
- Vampirella / Pantha: Faster Pussycat (painted art) (Harris, 1997)
- "Guests of Honor," New York Comic-Con #4 program booklet (Reed Exhibitions, 2009), p. 12.
- Texeira entry, Who's Who of American Comic Books, 1928–1999.
- "Mark Texeria". WizardWorld. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "ADRENALIZE WITH RED SPIKE ON MARCH 7TH!" Benaroya Publishing. February 1, 2012
- Manning, Matthew K.; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "1980s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. Dorling Kindersley. p. 214. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9. "Transported from the Wild West of the past to a dystopic future society, Jonah Hex had to adapt to the times in this brave new world and series crafted by writer Michael Fleisher and artist Mark Texeira."
- Judith Salavetz and Spencer Drate. Creating Comics!, 2010, Rockport Publishers, page 156
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Texeira.|
- Official website
- Mark Texeira at the Comic Book DB
- Comic Book Pros - Original Comic Art For Sale, represents Mark Texeira
- Gallery of Texeira's artwork
- Mark Texeira on Marvel.com