|Member of Parliament
for Clwyd South
Clwyd South West (1987-1997)
11 June 1987 – 6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Robert Harvey|
|Succeeded by||Susan Elan Jones|
1 March 1947 |
Born in Wrexham, he attended Grove Park Grammar School (became the Groves High School then closed in 2003 although a part became Rhosnesni High School) on Penymaes Avenue in Wrexham. He went to Liverpool College of Commerce, then completed a BSc in Microbiology at Liverpool Polytechnic, then an MSc at Trent Polytechnic.
At the 1987 general election, he was elected as member of Parliament for Clwyd South West, narrowly beating the Conservative incumbent Robert Harvey. He was re-elected at the 1992 general election with an increased majority. His constituency was abolished for the 1997 election, but he was returned to Parliament for the new Clwyd South constituency.
He has been a member of the Welsh Affairs Select Committee since 1997, serving as the committee's chair until 2005. He was previously a member of the Agriculture Select Committee.
On 7 May 2009, Jones announced that he would retire at the next general election.
Jones has been vocal in his criticism of controversial North Wales Police Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom's decision to use images of a dead motorcyclist as part of the force's contentiously zealous campaign for road safety.
High Court case
Jones denied the Mail's allegations. He took the paper to the High Court to sue them for inaccuracies in the story. He called the article a "grotesque distortion" and was eventually awarded £5,000 in compensation. The paper also had to pay £300,000 in legal costs.
Dormant Bank Accounts
Martyn Jones MP has been a vocal campaigner on the issue of dormant bank accounts in the UK. The MP has campaigned since 2001 for the issue to be brought to the forefront of British political life. His work on the subject was praised by senior ministers, such as the Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling.
In 1974 he married Rhona Bellis in Wrexham. They have a son and daughter and divorced in 1991.
- "MP to revive lager on retirement". BBC News. 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Father wants chief to 'be sacked'". BBCNews.co.uk. 28 April 2007. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- "Guard tells jury MP swore at him". BBCNews.co.uk. 12 June 2007. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- "MP libel victory over 'swearing'". BBCNews.co.uk. 14 June 2007. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- "Martyn Jones launches another push on dormant accounts". MartynJonesMP.co.uk. 15 November 2007. Retrieved 21 October 2009.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Martyn Jones
- ePolitix - Martyn Jones
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: Martyn Jones MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Martyn Jones MP
- Martyn Jones MP Website Official Site
- Wrexham Labour
- BBC politics
- Mr Brunstrom in November 2007
- Claiming King Arthur in July 2002
- Buys Wrexham Lager for £1 in February 2002
- Rescuing brewery in April 2000
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Clwyd South West
1987 – 1997
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Clwyd South
1997 – 2010
Susan Elan Jones