Matt Berninger at Sziget Festival, Budapest, in 2011
February 13, 1971 |
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
|Associated acts||The National|
Berninger is notable for his cool baritone voice.
Personal life 
Berninger is a 1989 graduate of St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati where he played trumpet for the high school's band. He went on to study graphic design at the University of Cincinnati, where he met fellow band member, Scott Devendorf in 1991 and they became best friends.
Matt is married to Carin Besser, a one-time fiction editor for The New Yorker, who has often contributed to the band's songwriting ("Brainy" and "Ada" from the album Boxer) and backup vocals. Together with Hope Hall and Andreas Burgess, Carin also helped direct the music video for "Bloodbuzz Ohio". They have a daughter, Isla. Matt has stated that the song "Afraid of Everyone" was influenced by his anxiety about being a new father.
- United States Birth Records
- Dawidoff, Nicholas (23 April 2010). "The National Agenda". NY Times. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Motz, Mark D. (2008-01-31). "Volume V, Issue 9". St. Xavier High School E-News mailing list. http://www.stxavier.org/s/106/stxavier.aspx?pgid=1113. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Chalupa, Andrea (17 May 2010). "The National's Matt Berninger on Dirty Lovers and Even Dirtier Politics". Huffington Post. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Fury, Jeanne. "Interview with The National". Virgin. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "The National’s Bloodbuzz Ohio by Hope Hall, Andreas Burgess & Carin Besser". Promo News. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "Under The Radar cover featuring Matt Berninger along with his one-and-half-year-old daughter, Isla.". Under The Radar. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|