Joy Williams (singer)
Williams performing, 2011
|Birth name||Joy Elizabeth Williams|
|Born||November 14, 1982|
|Genres||Pop, Folk rock, Contemporary Christian|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, concertina|
|Labels||Reunion, Sensibility Music|
|Associated acts||The Civil Wars|
Joy Williams grew up in a Christian family and recorded three Contemporary Christian music albums. After recording several EPs of popular music she formed the Grammy Award winning duo The Civil Wars with John Paul White, in 2009.
Early life and education
Williams' parents worked full-time in the ministry and her father was the executive director of a local Christian conference center . Williams attended Valley Christian High School in San Jose, California and graduated as the school valedictorian.
Williams signed a recording contract with the label Reunion Records (a division of Sony BMG music) at age 17. She released the albums Joy Williams (2001), By Surprise (2002), and Genesis (2005), collectively selling more than 250,000 copies. Her song "Hide" won an ASCAP Music award for the "Most Performed Song" in 2005. Williams terminated her contract with Reunion Records in 2005.
In October 2008, she and her husband founded Sensibility Music. In the Spring of 2009, Williams released a four-song EP called One of Those Days. One of the songs, "Charmed Life", appeared on the season finale of the TV show Grey's Anatomy in 2009, and "One of Those Days" was heard on Drop Dead Diva. In May 2009 Williams released another EP titled Charmed Life (Remixes).
In 2009 she released a double EP titled Songs from This and Songs from That. "Sunny Day" from the former EP was featured on 90210, while "Speaking a Dead Language" from the latter EP was featured on Grey's Anatomy. "Sunny Day" was featured on Grey's Anatomy on the Nov. 12, 2009 episode and also in the 2010 movie "An Invisible Sign" during the credits. "Sunny Day" was also in a Dutch commercial which made the song well known in the Netherlands. Williams released the EP We Mapped the World in 2010
In February 2009, Williams formed The Civil Wars with John Paul White and released the album Barton Hollow . The duo received 2012 Grammy Awards for Best Country Duo/Group Performance and Best Folk Album.
Williams is married and gave birth to a son in June 2012.
- 2001: Joy Williams (Reunion)
- 2002: By Surprise (Reunion)
- 2005: Genesis (Reunion)
- 2005: Connect Sets EP (online only) (Reunion/Sony Connect)
- 2006: Every Moment: The Best of Joy Williams (Reunion)
- 2009: One of Those Days (EP) (Sensibility Music)
- 2009: Charmed Life (Remixes) Digital EP (Sensibility Music)
- 2009: Songs from This/Songs from That (2 EPs) (Sensibility Music)
- 2009: More Than I Asked For: Celebrating Christmas with Joy Williams EP (Sensibility Music)
- 2010: We Mapped the World EP (Sensibility Music)
The Civil Wars
- 2009: Live at Eddie's Attic (Sensibility Music)
- 2009: Poison & Wine (EP) (Sensibility Music)
- 2011: Barton Hollow (Sensibility Music)
- 2012: "Safe & Sound"; The Hunger Games Soundtrack (Universal Republic)
- 2013: The Civil Wars (Sensibility Music)
- Interview on Faith Talks by Mercy Hope, retrieved March 2, 2012
- Sanzgiri, Shona. "A little country, a little Santa Cruz: Former resident Joy Williams enjoys musical success with Civil Wars" The Santa Cruz Sentinel. 2012-03-13
- Joy Williams (artist biography). CCM Magazine. Retrieved August 24, 2009.
- Twenty-Eighth Annual ASCAP Christian Music Awards. Playback. Summer 2006. Retrieved August 24, 2009
- "Charmed Life (Remixes) - EP by Joy Williams - Download Charmed Life (Remixes) - EP on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2009-05-28. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Songs from This - EP by Joy Williams - Download Songs from This - EP on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2009-08-17. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Songs from That - EP by Joy Williams - Download Songs from That - EP on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2009-08-17. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Music News, September 2009: Joy Williams to release 10 song double EP & digital single; songs on 90210, Drop Dead Diva and Grey's Anatomy". Jesusfreakhideout.com. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Grey's Anatomy - Music Lounge - ABC.com". Cdn.musiclounge.abc.go.com. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "An Invisible Sign".
- "Music in Adds- Muziek in de reclame-". http://www.muziekindereclame.nl. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "We Mapped the World - EP by Joy Williams - Download We Mapped the World - EP on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- Gewertz, Daniel (February 18, 2011). The Civil Wars Break Out. Boston Herald. Retrieved 2011-02-22
- Cameron Matthews, "The Civil Wars 2012 Grammys: Duo's Double Grammy Wins for 'Barton Hollow'" (February 12, 2012). The Boot.
- "Joy Williams of The Civil Wars has baby boy". Washington Times. Associated Press. June 30, 2012.