|No. of offices||20|
|No. of lawyers||1,450 (approx.)|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Paul W. Theiss (Chairman)
Kenneth S. Geller (Managing Partner)
|Revenue||$1.1 billion (2012)|
Mayer Brown is a law firm. With offices in 20 cities across the Americas, Europe and Asia, global law firm Mayer Brown has approximately 1,450 lawyers and by revenue is the 22nd largest law firm in the world. The firm has been ranked as one of the 30 most prestigious law firms by Vault.com.
- 1 History
- 2 Offices
- 3 Main Areas of Practice
- 3.1 Banking & Finance
- 3.2 Corporate & Securities
- 3.3 Employment & Benefits
- 3.4 Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement
- 3.5 Global Trade
- 3.6 Government (Relations and Contracts)
- 3.7 Intellectual Property
- 3.8 Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- 3.9 Real Estate
- 3.10 Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Insolvency
- 3.11 Tax (Tax Controversy, Tax Transactions & Consulting)
- 3.12 Wealth Management (Trusts, Estates & Foundations)
- 4 Pro Bono
- 5 Recognition
- 6 Role in Refco Inc. Collapse
- 7 Controversy in Russia
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The three firms that now form the core of Mayer Brown were all founded in the 19th century. The US portion of the firm was founded in 1881 in Chicago, by Adolf Kraus and Levi Mayer, and was shortly thereafter known as Kraus, Mayer & Brackett. After several changes in name to reflect its changing membership the firm eventually became known in the US as Mayer, Brown & Platt. The English portion of the firm, Rowe & Maw, was established in 1895 in London and operated under that name until joining with Mayer, Brown & Platt in 2002 to form Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw. In 2007 the amalgamated firm shortened its name to Mayer Brown. Johnson Stokes & Master|JSM (formerly Johnson Stokes & Master) was formed in 1863 in Hong Kong and is today known as Mayer Brown JSM after merging with Mayer Brown in 2008.
The firm has offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brussels, Charlotte, Chicago, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, New York, Palo Alto, Paris, Shanghai, Singapore and Washington DC; and, in association with Tauil & Chequer Advogados, offices in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
Main Areas of Practice
Banking & Finance
Advises bank holding companies, commercial banks, investment banks, insurance companies, asset-based lenders, leasing companies, institutional real estate companies, finance companies, funds and investors and borrowers in various industries.
Corporate & Securities
Provides legal services on transactions including cross-border deals and industry-specific issues. Sub-practices include capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and business and technology sourcing.
Employment & Benefits
Advises on issues of employment, employee benefits, executive compensation, ERISA litigation and pensions.
Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement
Provides financial services organizations with representation on strategic, regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues. Advises on traditional banking, broker-dealer, investment management, cross-border investigation and enforcement and insurance regulation issues.
Advises on international trade and investment issues, including market access and trade policy, trade remedies, trade compliance, international litigation and dispute settlement, ITC Section 337 investigations and the WTO.
Government (Relations and Contracts)
Represents clients in areas of domestic and global public policy and provides advice on the government contracting process at the federal, state and local levels.
Assesses IP portfolios; performs due diligence for acquisitions; secures patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyrights; and uses litigation to resolve business disputes over infringement or misappropriation.
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Provides legal services on matters of antitrust and competition, commercial litigation, consumer litigation and class actions, electronic discovery and records management, employment and ERISA, environmental, international arbitration, product liability and mass torts, securities enforcement and litigation and white-collar defense and compliance. In the US, argues before the Supreme Court and federal and state appellate courts.
Provides representation in acquisition, disposition, construction, leasing, financing, zoning and environmental matters for commercial banks, real estate investment trusts, institutional investors, pension funds and pension fund advisers, private equity funds and sponsors, opportunity funds, governments, statutory bodies, investment banks, industrial banks, insurance companies, real estate holding companies, developers and corporations.
Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Insolvency
Advises on restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency matters, representing liquidators, receivers, administrators, bondholders, lenders, liquidity providers, trustees, debtor-in-possession providers, company directors, insurers, pension fund trustees and corporate debtors and creditors.
Tax (Tax Controversy, Tax Transactions & Consulting)
Provides representation in matters of corporate, partnership and individual taxation, including taxation of cross-border transactions. Includes sub-practices in transactions, consulting and planning, audits, administrative appeals, litigation and international transfer pricing.
Wealth Management (Trusts, Estates & Foundations)
Advises high-net-worth individuals on matters related to their business and investment interests, including minimizing taxes and accommodating family situations.
Mayer Brown is a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge which commits the firm to devote 3 percent of total billable time to pro bono work  and a member of the UK Joint Protocol on Pro Bono Work, which stipulates that pro bono legal work must be carried out to the same standard as chargeable work. 
- On Law360's “Global 20” 2013 list of law firms firms doing the most substantial, complex and diverse global work 
- 42 top-tier national and 90 top-tier metropolitan U.S. News Best Law Firms 2013 rankings 
- 362 lawyers ranked across the Chambers 2013 directories, with 74 ranked in top band or higher.
- Ranked #2 for client service among 650 global law firms in the BTI Client Service A-Team 2013 survey.
- Named “International Firm of the Year 2013 – International Trade” by China Law & Practice.
- Ranked in 48 categories, including seven top-tier ranking, by IFLR1000, a guide to the world’s leading financial law firms.
- 65 Leading Lawyer rankings and 175 practice category rankings, 23 of which are top-tier, across the most current Legal 500 directories.
Role in Refco Inc. Collapse
Refco was a New York-based broker of commodities and futures contracts. It filed for one of the biggest bankruptcies in the USA history in 2005, after the evidence for major accounting fraud surfaced. In the wake of collapse, lawsuit was filed against Mayer Brown for aiding Refco executives' theft of more than $2 billion. In November 2012 Joseph Collins, a former partner at the Mayer Brown, was found guilty on multiple charges of conspiracy and fraud for his role in preparing Refco's IPO. The law company itself agreed to pay an undisclosed sum to settle the legal claims against it.
Controversy in Russia
In 2013, Mayer Brown became a focal point of controversy which ensued in Russia because of Russian government radical anti-gay laws (the ban of "gay propaganda" and a move to take away kids from parents who are gays or bisexual for government adoption). It became known that the main proponent of Putin's anti-gay measures, a lawmaker Yelena Mizulina, has a son working for Mayer Brown. Since Mayer Brown is allegedly gay-friendly, it might be in breach of the laws instigated by Russian government The journalist who started this investigation, former Russian Vice Prime Minister Alfred Koch, was interrogated by Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation for three hours, based on a complaint by Mizulina who had allegedly accused him in libel. Also, Mizulina was quoted as saying that Alfred Koch is a part of "paedophile lobby", trying to hinder Russian government's campaign against the sexual criminals.
On June 6, 2013, an LBGT rights defense group Spectrum Human Rights Alliance wrote an open letter to Mayer Brown requesting clarifications on their LGBT initiatives and a possible conflict of interests due to their employee family ties to a proponent of anti-gay activist in Russia. It was alleged that Nikolay Mizulin, an employee of Mayer Brown and a son of a Russian government anti-gay lawmaker, made homophobic statements on his Facebook account that were quickly deleted after his employment with Mayer Brown was publicized. Larry Poltavtsev, a president of Spectrum Human Rights Alliance, claims that Spectrum received no response from the law firm. 
- "Chambers and Partners", retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Gross Revenue: A New Number One", The American Lawyer, retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "The 2012 Global 100: Most Revenue", The American Lawyer, retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Chambersandpartners.com", retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Gross Revenue: A New Number One", The American Lawyer, retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "The 2013 Global 100: Most Revenue", The American Lawyer, retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "Hoovers.com", retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Mayerbrown.com", retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Probonoinst.org", retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Lawworks.org.uk" , retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Law360.com", retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "USNews.com", retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Chambers and Partners", retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "BTIClientServiceaTeam.com", retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "ChinaLawAndPractice.com", retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "IFLR1000.com", retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Legal500.com", retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Refco Files 4th-Largest Bankruptcy in U.S. History". Archived from the original on 2013-10-11.
- "Refco Trustee Seeks $2 Billion from Mayer Brown, Others". Archived from the original on 2013-10-11.
- "Lawyer sentenced to prison for role in $2.4 billion fraud at Refco". Archived from the original on 2013-10-11.
- "Refco Lawyer, A&O, Mayer Brown, Skadden: Business of Law". Archived from the original on 2013-10-11.
- "Settlement Reached in Billion-dollar Fraud Scheme". Archived from the original on 2013-10-11.
- Mills, Laura (13/08/09). "Meet Putin’s morality crusader, the woman spearheading efforts to curb gay rights". National Post. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- "Сына депутата Мизулиной уличили в работе в фирме-спонсоре ЛГБТ-сети". Archived from the original on 2013-06-08.
- ""Оба-на! Спалился!": блоггеры обнаружили сына депутата-"гееборца" Мизулиной в "опасной" стране и бурно язвят".
- "«Непонятно, с кем переписывался Кох»". gazeta.ru. 02.08.2013.
- "Кох заявил, что был допрошен по делу о клевете на депутата Мизулину". Argumenty i Fakty. 10 August 2013.
- "Кох рассказал в Facebook, как его преследует Мизулина. Та уверила, что в этой сети не бывает". NEWSru.com. 2 August 2013.
- "Депутат Мизулина обвинила Коха в педофильском лобби". Archived from the original on 2013-06-08.
- "Кох – Мизулиной: ваш сын работает на ЛГБТ. Мизулина – Коху: вы педофильское лобби". Slon.ru. 07.06.2013.
- "Still No Response from Mayer Brown Law Firm on LGBT Conflict of Interests". Jun 17, 2013.
- "US Law Firm Employs Known Russian Homophobes?". November 27, 2013.
- "Gay Russian refugee concerned about MP Mizulina’s son access to private data". November 27, 2013.