|Address||4401 Beresford Street, Burnaby|
|Opened||December 11, 1985|
|Owned by||BC Transit, TransLink|
Metrotown Station is an elevated SkyTrain station on the Expo Line in the Metrotown area of Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. It is the second-busiest station in the SkyTrain system. The station is located on the south side of Central Boulevard, east of Willingdon Avenue.
Metrotown Station was built and opened in December 1985 as part of the original Expo Line of SkyTrain. The overhead walkway leading to Metropolis at Metrotown was added to the station in 1989 with the opening of the shopping centres. Originally, the bus loop was open-air and connected to the station via an at-grade street crossing.
The station was originally designed as a suburban station serving residential neighbourhoods and local transit connections. It experienced a major traffic increase since the opening of nearby shopping centres, and the current passenger load and circulation already surpassed the design capacity of the station. TransLink has established formal plans to retrofit and redesign the station to improve passenger flow and increase station capacity. Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2015.
- Metrotown Station is a major connection point for the TransLink bus routes in southern Vancouver and Burnaby.
- The station is connected via overhead walkway across Central Boulevard to a bus loop and Metropolis at Metrotown and Station Square malls.
- The Crystal Mall and many other retail developments are nearby on Kingsway, one block north of the station.
- Metrotown branch of the Burnaby Public Library is also one block away from the station.
- An ATM is available on the concourse level of the station.
- There is an A&W and Starbucks Coffee on the opposite end of the pedestrian overpass, near the mall entrance.
|T||Platform 1||← ■ Expo Line towards Waterfront, ■ Millennium Line towards Waterfront (Patterson)|
|Island platform, Doors will open on the left|
|Platform 2||■ Expo Line towards King George, ■ Millennium Line towards VCC–Clark (Royal Oak) →|
|C||Concourse (East)||Connection to Metropolis, Station Square (closed), and bus loop
Ticket vending machines, ATM
|S||Street (East)||East entrance|
|Street (West)||West entrance elevator
Ticket vending machine
- East Entrance is located on the BC Parkway, north of Beresford Street and south of Central Boulvard. It can be found at the far east end of the platform. There is no elevator for this entrance, and no escalator is available between street and concourse level. The entrance is in close proximity to Bay 9 of the Metrotown transit exchange for connections to south Burnaby community shuttle services.
- East Entrance Mall Access connects bus loop, Metropolis, and Station Square shopping centres with the concourse level through a narrow pedestrian overpass. The overpass also contains a stair access to the north side of Central Boulvard. Although up and down escalators are provided by bus loop and shopping centres, the overpass is at a slightly higher level than the concourse of the station, which results in 3 steps of stairs the station entrance.
- West Entrance is an elevator-only access at the south side of Central Boulvard. The elevator connects street level directly with platform bypassing the concourse level. Ticket vending machines and validators can be found at street level. This entrance provides connection to HandyDart service.
Metrotown Station provides a partial off-street transit exchange on Beresford Street, and in front of the ground-level entrance to Metropolis shopping centre. Bus bay assignments is as follows:
|1||Bus Loop||116 Edmonds Station|
|2||Bus Loop||19 Stanley Park (trolleybus route)|
|3||Bus Loop||49 Dunbar Loop / UBC|
|4||Bus Loop||130 To Hastings / Phibbs Exchange / Capilano University|
|5||Bus Loop||129 Edmonds Station|
|6||Bus Loop||144 SFU|
|7||Bus Loop||106 New Westminster Station
112 New Westminster Station (limited service)
|8||Bus Loop||110 Lougheed Station
430 Richmond-Brighouse Station
C7 Edmonds Station
- "2011 SkyTrain Station Counts". TransLink. Retrieved January 2013.
- "SkyTrain historic photos: Princess Diana visits SkyTrain and more". Buzzer Blog. Retrieved November 2011.
- ""Moving Forward" 2012 Supplemental Plan and Outlook". TransLink. Retrieved November 2011.
- Metropolis at Metrotown: public transit
- Map of Metrotown Station