|The Lord Cashman
|Michael Cashman in 2009|
|Member of the European Parliament
for West Midlands
10 June 1999 – 26 May 2014
|Preceded by||Position established|
17 December 1950 |
|Domestic partner||Paul Cottingham|
Michael Maurice Cashman, Baron Cashman CBE (born 17 December 1950, London) is a British former actor, now a Labour politician. He was a Member of the European Parliament for the West Midlands constituency from 1999 until he stood down in 2014. He has since then been appointed to the House of Lords. On the 23 of September 2014 it was announced by Ed Miliband that Cashman would be appointed as the Labour Party's special envoy on LGBT issues worldwide.
In the European Parliament he was Labour spokesman on human rights.
A member of the Civil Liberties Committee, Cashman has been a rapporteur on several key initiatives including an important initiative on funerals of those who die in third countries – an issue he was motivated to act on after the death of his own father.
In the Petitions Committee, where he is first vice-chair, he has been working on the so-called Spanish Land Grab crisis.
He is a trenchant critic of discrimination against minorities within the European Union. He has been leading a cross-party coalition to tackle the rise in homophobia throughout Europe. He has in the past supported the gay pride march in Warsaw, which he attended. He is also the President of the European Parliament's Intergroup on gay and lesbian issues. Cashman is a member of the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly. In 2014, he criticised McDonald's, Coca-Cola and Visa Inc. during a session of parliament in protest at their sponsorship of the 2014 Winter Olympics taking place in Sochi, Russia, despite Vladimir Putin having recently introduced legislation against the LGBT community. Cashman cut up his Visa card during the session.
In 2007 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Staffordshire for his human rights work. That same year he was elected MEP of the Year for Justice and Fundamental Rights by his peers.
It was reported on 8 August 2014 Cashman was to be among 22 new life peers announced by the government. On 23 September 2014 he was created a Life Peer taking the title Baron Cashman, of Limehouse in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, which is also his birthplace.
He is the treasurer of Equity and led the campaign to obtain pension rights for members.
Cashman registered a civil partnership with Paul Cottingham, his partner of over twenty years, on 11 March 2006.
- Michael Cashman's profile on MiCandidate.eu
- "Karren Brady and Sir Stuart Rose among new life peers". BBC. 8 August 2014.
- Europe to fight Spanish land grab laws | This is Money
- "Fears of Poland's gay community". BBC News. 10 June 2006. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "European Parliament Member Michael Cashman Cuts His Visa Card To Protest Sochi". International Business Times. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Michael Cashman receives MEP award / News / Europe / ilga – ILGA Europe
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 29 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Cashman.|
- Michael Cashman's web site[dead link]
- Michael Cashman on IMDb
- OpsRoom.org – The Sandbaggers information site
- Profile on European Parliament website
- European Parliament Intergroup on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights