|Michael Cashman in 2009|
|Member of the European Parliament
for West Midlands
10 June 1999
17 December 1950 |
|Domestic partner||Paul Cottingham|
Michael Maurice Cashman CBE MEP (born 17 December 1950, London) is a British former actor, now a Labour politician. He has been a Member of the European Parliament for the West Midlands constituency since 1999.
As a child actor he was cast in the role of Oliver Twist in the original run of Lionel Bart's musical Oliver!, but he is possibly best known for his role as Colin Russell in BBC TV's EastEnders – a character remembered for being a participant in the first gay kiss in a British soap opera. He also appeared in the ITV drama serial The Sandbaggers and the Doctor Who story "Time-Flight".
A member of the Civil Liberties Committee, Michael Cashman has been a rapporteur on several key initiatives including an important initiative on funerals of those who die in third countries - an issue he was motivated to act on after the death of his own father.
In the Petitions Committee, where he is first vice-chair, Michael Cashman has been working on the so-called Spanish Land Grab crisis.
He is a trenchant critic of discrimination against minorities within the European Union. He has been leading a cross-party coalition to tackle the rise in homophobia throughout Europe. He has in the past supported the gay pride march in Warsaw, which he attended. He is also the President of the European Parliament's Intergroup on gay and lesbian issues. Cashman is a member of the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly.
In 2007 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Staffordshire for his human rights work. That same year he was elected MEP of the Year for Justice and Fundamental Rights by his peers.
In line with current guidelines the European Parliament pays his domestic partner, Paul Cottingham, £30,000 per annum for his work as Cashman's "Accounts Manager, Personnel Manager and Payroll Administrator".
He is the treasurer of Equity and led the campaign to obtain pension rights for members.
Personal life 
Cashman registered a civil partnership with Paul Cottingham, his partner of over twenty years, on 11 March 2006.
- Michael Cashman's profile on MiCandidate.eu
- Europe to fight Spanish land grab laws | This is Money
- "Fears of Poland's gay community". BBC News. 10 June 2006. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- Michael Cashman receives MEP award / News / Europe / ilga - ILGA Europe
- Cashman, Michael (2008-02-28). "Declaration of Member's Financial Interests". Retrieved 2008-07-16.
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Michael Cashman|
- Michael Cashman's web site
- Michael Cashman on IMDb
- OpsRoom.org - The Sandbaggers information site
- Profile on European Parliament website
- European Parliament Intergroup on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights