||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
28 February 1960 |
Wakefield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England, UK
Michael Cumpsty (born 26 February 1960) is a British actor. He has been acting since childhood. He has worked extensively performing Shakespeare, as well as both musicals and dramas on Broadway. He also performs in films and on television.
Born in Wakefield, West Riding of Yorkshire, Cumpsty attended Haileybury College in Hertfordshire and received a Bachelor of Arts in English from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1982.
On the Broadway stage he appeared in dramas, including La Bête (1991), Timon of Athens (1993), The Heiress (1995),Copenhagen (2000), and The Constant Wife (2005). He appears in the play End of the Rainbow in 2012 and has received a Tony Award nomination for Featured Actor for his performance.
In Broadway stage musicals, he played John Dickinson in the revival of 1776 (1997), and Julian Marsh in the revival of 42nd Street (2001). He played the role of Jules in the revival of Sunday in the Park With George in 2008.
In Off-Broadway work, he both played the title role and co-directed a Classic Stage Company production of Richard III in 2007. Other Shakespeare roles include Timon in Timon of Athens in 1996, Parolles in All's Well That Ends Well in 1993, Laertes in Hamlet in 1990, Time/Lord in The Winter's Tale in 1989, and Escalus in ''Romeo and Juliet in 1988 all at the Public Theater.
Cumpsty's television credits include the daytime soap operas One Life to Live and All My Children, recurring roles on the primetime dramas L.A. Law and Star Trek Voyager, and guest appearances on Matlock and Law & Order.
- Blank, Matthew."PLAYBILL.COM'S CUE & A: 'End of the Rainbow' Tony Nominee Michael Cumpsty" Playbill.com, 2012
- Rickwald, Bethany."The Colleges and Universities Attended by Tony Award Nominees" Theatermania.com, 31 May 2012
- Rich, Frank."Review/Theater; High Art Battles Low in Rhymed Couplets" THe New York Times, 11 February 1991
- Canby, Vincent."Theater Review: 'The Heiress'" The New York Times, 10 March 1995
- Brantley, Ben."THEATER REVIEW; A Fiery Power In the Behavior Of Particles And Humans" The New York Times, 12 April 2000
- Isherwood, Charles."Theater Review:'The Constant Wife'" The New York Times, 17 June 2005
- Brantley, Ben."Singing the Course Of Human Events" The New York Times, 15 August 1997
- Kenrick, John."'42nd Street', Ford Center, NYC - April 2001" musicals101.com, accessed 1 April 2011
- Brantley, Ben."Theater Review:'Sunday in the Park With George'" The New York Times, 28 February 2008
- Dziemianowicz, Joe."Taking a new stab at 'Richard III'" New York Daily News, 9 November 2007
- "Michael Cumpsty Listing, Internet Off-Broadway Database" Internet Off-Broadway Database, accessed 31 March 2011
- 'State of Grace' rottentomatoes.com, accessed 1 April 2011
- "Cast, 'Fatal Instinct'" allmovie.com, accessed 1 April 2011
- "Cast, 'The Ice Storm'" allmovie.com, accessed 1 April 2011
- "Cast, 'Eat Pray Love'" rottentomatoes.com, accessed 1 April 2011
- 'The Visitor' Internet Movie Database, accessed 1 April 2011