Olympia Theatre (New York City)
|Hammerstein's Olympia, New York Theatre, Loew's New York, Criterion Theatre, Criterion Center Stage Right|
New York City
|Years active||1890–1935; 1989–1999|
|Architect||J. B. McElfatrick & Son|
The Olympia Theatre (1514-16 Broadway at 44th Street), also known as Hammerstein's Olympia, was a theatre complex built by impresario Oscar Hammerstein I in Longacre Square (later Times Square), New York City, opening in 1895. It consisted of a theatre, a music hall, a concert hall, and a roof garden. It was later named the New York Theatre and Loew's New York.
According to The New York Times, Olympia was a "massive gray stone building", and extended 203 feet (62 m) on Longacre Square, 104 feet (32 m) on 45th Street, and 101 feet (31 m) on 44th Street. It was made from Indiana limestone, featured an imposing façade, and followed French Renaissance designs. It was designed by J. B. McElfatrick & Son.
The building was opened on November 25, 1895 with over 30 performers from Europe appearing. It was the second theater to open in what is now known as the Theater District. The first was the Empire Theatre, on the Southeast corner of 40th Street and Broadway. The Olympia was later named the New York Theatre and Loew's New York.
In 1935, architects Thomas W. Lamb and Eugene DeRosa redesigned the site. Historic sources are unclear as to whether some or all buildings in the complex were demolished and rebuilt, or the shells gutted and remodeled to build a nightclub/dancehall, the International Casino, and the Criterion movie theatre.
- Morrison, William (1999). Broadway Theatres: History and Architecture (trade paperback). Dover Books on Architecture. Mineola, New York: Dover Publications. pp. 24–26. ISBN 0-486-40244-4.
- "Olympia Ready to Open". The New York Times. November 24, 1895.
- "Police Call in Olympia". The New York Times. November 26, 1895.
- CinemaTreasures.org entry for Criterion Theatre (single screen), New York
- CinemaTreasures.org entry Loew's Criterion Theatre (multiplex), New York
- Olympia Theatre: Music Hall at the IBDB database
- Criterion Center Stage Right at the IBDB database