||It has been suggested that Plea for Peace Foundation be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since August 2013.|
Live at Arts at Mark's Garage, Honolulu, HI
|Genres||Ska, Punk rock, Indie|
|Occupations||Musician, Songwriter, Producer, Label Owner|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Saxophone|
|Associated acts||The Chinkees
The Bruce Lee Band
Less Than Jake
Mike Park is a Korean Canadian musician and progressive activist. His musical ventures include Skankin' Pickle for whom he both played the saxophone and sang, The Chinkees, The Bruce Lee Band, and most recently an acoustic solo project under his own name. After his time with Skankin' Pickle he went on to found Asian Man Records, a label which he has run out of his garage in California since 1996 with only help from his parents and friends. Asian Man Records supports mostly ska and punk bands. Park will support any band as long as it is "anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-prejudice". Park has used Asian Man Records to release his own music, in addition to providing a start for smaller bands to allow them to grow, including Less Than Jake, Alkaline Trio, and The Lawrence Arms. In 1999 he formed the Plea for Peace Foundation an organization whose aim is "to promote the ideas of peace through the power of music", something which Park has been trying to do with his own bands and with the help of other groups.
Park was the impetus behind the Spring 1998 "Ska Against Racism" tour. The goal of the tour was to promote awareness about racism and raise money for anti-racism organisations such as the Museum of Tolerance. The national tour included The Toasters, Less Than Jake, the Blue Meanies, Mustard Plug, Five Iron Frenzy, MU330, Kemuri, and Mike Park himself.
Park majored in music in college.
Mike finished a European tour as of March 2008 and is currently[when?] planning on a North American tour with Chris "Sundowner" McCaughan. His first child, Maggie Elizabeth, was born on November 17, 2006, weighing 6.46 lbs. He is a Minister of the Universal Life Church. His second child, Moses Young Park, was born on October 15, 2008 at 5:30 am.
- Michael Park (Asian Man, 2001)
- For the Love of Music (Sub City, 2003)
- North Hangook Falling (Sub City, 2005)
- Mike Park 7 Inch and Art Print (Simple Stereo, 2008)
- Beans & Toast (2008)
- Mike Park/O Pioneers!!! split 7″ (Suburban Home, 2009)
- Smile (Asian Man, 2011)
With 'Skankin' Pickle'
|1992||Skankin' Pickle Fever||Dill Records|
|1994||Sing Along With Skankin' Pickle||Dill Records|
|1996||The Green Album||Dr. Strange Records|
With 'The Chinkees'
- The Chinkees Are Coming CD
- Karaoke with the Chinkees 7"
- Peace Through Music CD
- Present Day Memories Split CD with Lawrence Arms (out of print)
- Searching for a Brighter Future CD
With 'The Bruce Lee Band'
|1997||The Bruce Lee Band||Asian Man|
|2005||Beautiful World EP||Asian Man|
- Inoue, Todd (January 1998). "Secret Asian Man". Metroactive. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Steininger, Alex (April 1998). "Ska Against Racism". In Music We Trust. Retrieved February 17, 2007.
- Mike Park
- Asian Man Records
- Secret Asian Man
- Official Site
- Simple Stereo Official Site – with information on the Mike Park 7 Inch
- Plea For Peace Official Site
- Interview by Sound Scene Revolution (Podcast)
- Interview by Tom Bastian of decapolis.com (2000)
- Interview by Josh Snider and Jonny Havoc on BigSmileMagazine.com
- Album Review of "North Hangook Falling" on BigSmileMagazine.com