Mindless Self Indulgence
|Mindless Self Indulgence|
Mindless Self Indulgence on-stage in 2012
|Origin||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Synthpunk, industrial rock, electronic rock, industrial hip hop, new wave, comedy rock|
|Labels||Chip, Uppity Cracker, Elektra, Metropolis, The End|
|Associated acts||The Left Rights, Tub Ring, The O, Retard-O-Bot, button*masher|
|Past members||Markus J. Euringer
Mindless Self Indulgence (often identified using the abbreviation MSI) is an American electronic rock band formed in New York City in 1997. Their music has a mixed style which includes punk rock, alternative rock, electronica, techno, industrial, hip hop, and breakbeat hardcore. MSI has also been known to define themselves as "electro-punk jungle pussy" or "industrial jungle pussy punk". Their group name is derived from a solo EP that frontman Jimmy Urine wrote in 1995.
The group was formed in 1997 when Jimmy Urine was joined by Steve, Righ? on guitar, Urine's brother Markus Euringer on second guitar (replaced by bassist Vanessa Y.T., who was subsequently replaced by bassist Lyn-Z), and Urine's cousin Kitty on drums. They have released five albums, two EPs, one live album, and one live DVD. Rather than signing traditional record contracts, the band has licensed most of their albums to record labels, retaining ownership of the music.
The group maintains a devout fanbase, and has opened for many well-known acts such as Linkin Park, System of a Down, Korn, Sum 41, Insane Clown Posse and Rammstein. Notable bands who have opened for them include The Red Paintings, The Dresden Dolls, Rasputina, mc chris, The Birthday Massacre, Tub Ring, Death Spells, and Dog Fashion Disco. In January 2009, the band headlined the Kerrang! Relentless Energy Drink tour.
In December 2010, they released a comic entitled Adventures Into Mindless Self Indulgence about various tour stories and significant moments of the band's career. The band released a remastered CD/DVD version of their first full length album, Tight, in 2011, entitled Tighter. It included bonus tracks and recordings from their early days. On October 25, 2012, the band announced their fifth album via a Kickstarter campaign. How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence was released in May 2013, following with the release of singles "It Gets Worse" in December and "Fuck Machine" in January 2014. On January 20, 2014, MSI announced that they would be taking a hiatus from touring after the completion of their 2014 tour.
Uppity Cracker is an independent record label created by Jimmy Urine and James Galus, which the band has used to distribute numerous promos after their former label refused to distribute releases that featured controversial lyrics (such as the song "Panty Shot"). The label has been used for MSI releases such as Tight, Alienating Our Audience, and Despierta Los Niños, and for releases by the band's other project, The Left Rights. Albums that have been released on other labels also carry the Uppity Cracker imprint. The label's only release not related to Mindless Self Indulgence is by New York pop-rap group The O.
- Jimmy Urine – vocals, synthesizer, programming (1997–present)
- Steve, Righ? – guitar, backing vocals (1997–present)
- Kitty – drums (1997–present)
- Lyn-Z – bass guitar (2001–present)
- Markus Euringer – guitar, bass guitar (1997)
- Vanessa Y.T. – bass guitar (1998–2001)
- Tight (1999)
- Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy (2000)
- You'll Rebel to Anything (2005)
- If (2008)
- How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence (2013)
- "Mindless Facts". Elftown.com. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- Wilson, Jen (October 22, 2008). "Kerrang! Tour Returns in 2009". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence to Sign New Book at Two West Coast Events". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Mindless Self Indulgence (2012-10-25). "Brand New Mindless Self Indulgence Record!". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Mindless Self Indulgence announce 2013 album details".