Mir Mosharraf Hossain
Mir Mosharraf Hossain (Bengali: মীর মশাররফ হোসেন;(1847–1912) was a Bengali language novelist, playwright and essayist in 19th century Bengal. He is principally known for his famous novel Bishad Sindhu. He is considered as the first novelist to emerge from the Muslim society of Bengal.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2007)|
Mir Mosharraf Hossain was born in the village of Lahinipara in Kumarkhali PS of Kushtia (former Nadia District) now in Bangladesh.His widely accepted date of birth is 13 November 1847.But some researchers also claim his date of birth is 26 October 1847.His father Mir Moazzem Hossain was one of the few Muslim zamindars (landlord) of nineteenth century Bengal.His mother's name is Daulatunnesa.
In 1865 he married Aziz-un-Nesa. But he was very unhappy with her. As a result he married again in 1874. His second wife was Bibi Kulsum then only twelve years old.
He is perhaps most famous for his novel Bishad Shindhu (Ocean of Sorrow), depicting the tale of Martyrdom of Hossain or Husayn bin Ali in Karbala. He was one of the first Muslim writers to emerge from colonial British India. Mir Mosharraf Hossain was secular and promoted peace between Hindus and Muslims. His other works include Jamindar Darpan (Reflections on Zamindars), a play on the plight of common people under the zamindars (landlords installed by the British colonial rulers) and their struggle against them.
Literary career 
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2008)|
Mir Mosarraf Hossain is the first modern Muslim Bengali writer. He wrote more than 35 books.
His literary works were included in the curriculum of school level, secondary, higher secondary and graduation level Bengali Literature in Bangladesh.
- Ratnawati (1869)
- Bishad Shindhu (1885–1890)
- Jamidar Darpan (1873)
- Bosontokumari Natok (1873)
- Gorai Bridge or Gouri Setu (1873)
- Amar Jiboni (autobiography)
- Bibi Kulsum
- Gazi Miar Bostani
- Bibi Khodejar Bibaho
- Hazrart Umarer Dharmo Jibon Labh
- Musolmaner Bangla Shikhya-1
- Musolmaner Bangla Shikhya-2
- ব্রজেন্দ্রনাথ বন্দোপাধ্যায়: 'স্বর্ণকুমারী দেবী, মীর মশাররফ হোসেন'। সাহিত্য সাধক-চরিতমালা' : ২৮-২৯ সংখ্যক পুস্তিকা। পঞ্চম-সং: কলিকাতা, জৈষ্ঠ্য ১৩৬১. পৃষ্ঠা ৩১।
- আবুল আহসান চৌধুরী. মীর মশাররফ হোসেন. জীবনী গ্রন্থমালা সিরিজ. বাংলা একাডেমী. ঢাকা. ১৯৯৩. পৃষ্ঠা-১১।
- Golpo Songroho (Collected Stories), the national text book of B.A. (pass and subsidiary) course of Bangladesh, published by University of Dhaka in 1979 (reprint in 1986).
- Bangla Sahitya (Bengali Literature), the national text book of intermediate (college) level of Bangladesh published in 1996 by all educational boards.
See also