Professor Mushirul Hasan (Born: 15 August 1949) second son for noted historian and professor at his time Muhibbul Hasan he originally belongs to village Muhammadpur, Tehsil Fatehpur, District Barabanki, is an internationally known historian, author and ex-Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia University at Delhi. He has written extensively on the Partition of India, on communalism, and on the histories of Islam in South-Asia.
Mushirul Hasan was the elected President of the Indian History Congress in 2002. In 2007, He was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India and the Ordre des Palmes Académiques by the French Government in 2010. In May 2010, he was appointed the director-general of the National Archives of India.
Mushirul Hasan did his M. A. from Aligarh Muslim University in 1969. He later earned a Doctorate (PhD) from the University of Cambridge, 1977. In September 2008, The Calcutta University offered him an honorary D.Litt.
- A Nationalist Conscience: M.A. Ansari, the Congress and the Raj, (Delhi: Manohar, 1987)
- Nationalism and Communal Politics in India, 1885–1930 (Delhi: Manohar, 1991). Paperback edition published in 1994. Reprinted in 2000.
- The Legacy of a Divided Nation: India's Muslims Since Independence (Oxford University Press, 1997)
- John Company to the Republic: A Story of Modern India (2001)
- Islam in the Subcontinent: Muslims in a Plural Society (2002)
- From Pluralism to Separatism: Qasbas in Colonial India (Oxford University Press, 2003)
- Making Sense of History: Society, Culture and Politics (Manohar, 2003)
- A Moral Reckoning: Muslim Intellectuals in Nineteenth-Century Delhi (Oxford University Press, 2005)
- The Nehrus: Personal Histories (2006)
- Partners in Freedom: Jamia Millia Islamia, (Niyogi Books: Delhi, 2006), (with Rakhshanda Jalil)
- Wit and Humour in Colonial North India (Niyogi Books: Delhi, 2007)
- Moderate or Militant? Images Of India’s Muslims (Oxford University Press, 2008)
- Between Modernity and Nationalism: Halide Edip’s Encounter with Gandhi’s India (Oxford University Press, 2010)
- Faith and Freedom: Gandhi in History (Niyogi Books: Delhi, 2013)
- Islam, Pluralism, Nationhood: Legacy of Maulana Azad (Niyogi Books: Delhi, 2014)
Awards and recognition
- The D.P. Singhal Scholarship, University of Queensland, Brisbane, 2003.
- The Ford Foundation (SARC) Fellowship by the Institute of Islamic Studies, University of Oxford, 2002–03.
- 'Officer dans I'Ordre des Palmes Academiques' (Officer of the Order of Academic Palms) by the Prime Minister of the France.
- D.Lit (Honoris Causa) by Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon Open University (UPRTOU), Allahabad, 2006.
- Professor Sukumar Sen Memorial Gold Medal by The Asiatic Society, Kolkata, 2006.
- Padma Shri by the President of India, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, 2007.
- D.Lit (Honoris Causa) by Calcutta University, Kolkatta, 2008.
- Hasan was also awarded the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship by the Indian Council of Social Science Research for the term 2009–2011.
- Hasan was conferred the Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowship by the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund on the occasion of the 124th birth anniversary of the former Prime Minister on 14 November 2014.
He has also held in the past, academic positions at the Wissenschaftskolleg (Institute of Advanced Study), Berlin, Centre D'Etudes De L'Inde ET de L' Asie Du Sud (The Center for Studies in India and South Asia), Paris, Centre of South Asian Studies, University of Cambridge, UK and the St Antony's College, Oxford and the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, New Delhi.
Memorial lectures delivered by Hasan:
- Moin Shakir Memorial Lecture
- Bhagat Singh Memorial Lecture
- Ved Pal Memorial Lecture
- Dr. Zakir Husain Memorial Lecture
- SC Misra Memorial Lecture
- D.D. Kosambi Lecturer
- Durgabai Deshmukh Lecture
- Ibn Sina Memorial Lecture (Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences)
- Asghar Husain Bilgrami Memorial Lecture
- The Nehrus: Personal Histories (Hardcover) Mushirul Hasan – (About the author) – Amazon.com Editorial Review
- Kumar, Girja (1997). "Mushirul Hasan: victim of academic politics". The book on trial: fundamentalism and censorship in India. Har-Anand Publications. pp. 253–272. ISBN 978-81-241-0525-2.
- Amazon.com Books authored by Mushirul Hasan
- "Sack Jamia Millia Islamia Vice-Chancellor: BJP". The Hindu. 25 September 2008. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- Top French honour for Mushirul Hasan – Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi, July 15, 2010 – The Hindustan Times
- Mushirul is DG, Archives – Express news service – Fri May 14 2010,New Delhi:
- Honorary doctorate for Mushirul Hasan – The Hindu Sep 12 2008
- Profile of Mushirul Hasan – National Archives of India
- The Nehrus: Personal Histories – Amazon.com
- Maroof, Abu (15 January 2014). "Prince among politicians". The Hindu.
- Maulana Azad's contested legacy | Business Standard
- "Mushirul Hasan bags Nehru fellowship". The Hindu. 15 November 2013.