Nippon Ichi Software
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
|Traded as||JASDAQ: 3851|
|Industry||Video game industry|
|Founded||September 1991 (initial founding)
July 12, 1993 (reincorporation)
|Headquarters||Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Santa Ana, California, United States
|Key people||Souhei Niikawa|
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc. (日本一ソフトウェア Nippon Ichi Sofutowea?) (known as Prism Kikaku Ltd. from July 1993 to July 1995) is a Japanese video game developer and publisher. They are responsible for such titles as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle: Tactics and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. More recently, particularly through their North American branch, NIS America, they have also published anime titles.
Nippon Ichi Software was founded in September 1991 in Gifu Prefecture, Japan, as an entertainment software company. It was relocated and reincorporated on July 12, 1993. Since then Nippon Ichi Software, Inc. has grown into an international company focused on creating video game products across modern console platforms. NIS America, Inc. subsidiary of Nippon Ichi Software, Inc. of Japan, established its North American operations on December 24, 2003. Based in Santa Ana, California, NIS America, Inc. handles operations including localization, marketing, and publishing of Nippon Ichi titles. The first game to be released in North America by NIS America was Phantom Brave.
NIS America was the result of the company's wish to focus on international publication of their works in the U.S., given the increased popularity of their titles. Prior to the creation of this subsidiary, NIS software titles that appeared in the U.S. were localized and distributed by outside publishers. Notable examples would be Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, published in North America by Atlus and in Europe by Koei, La Pucelle, published in North America by Mastiff Inc, and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure which was also published in North America by Atlus. The publisher has become a somewhat of a well-known presence in the North American market, having won RPGLand's "Stateside Publisher of the Year Award" in 2009.
Nippon Ichi, meaning "Japan's Best" or "#1 in Japan," is often abbreviated as "N1".
During years 2008 and 2009 the financial results for Nippon Ichi saw a huge drop. The January 2009 financial report for the company recorded a drop of more than 97% in income in comparison to the previous year. Kotaku editor Brian Ashcraft reported that after the release of the financial figures "The company's closing price on the JASDAQ (Japanese NASDAQ) was ¥36,200 on Friday. When the market opened this morning, and investors began reacting to Nippon Ichi's financial statement, the stock price ultimately dropped ¥7,000 (US$78) as the stock was unloaded."
Though the company has developed a number of traditional role-playing video games, Nippon Ichi's latest releases have primarily been a series of tactical RPG games. Many characters from previous titles make their way into later games as secret characters, even though their respective titles may not be directly connected. The Rhapsody series, Disgaea series, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Soul Nomad are the games that are usually connected with each other through secret characters.
Other games of separate genres, such as Cooking Fighter Hao, have been published by the company though they have never been released outside Japan. The most popular games are the Disgaea games. All of these games have connections to each other, whether it be the same world, dimensional travel, same creatures, or the same villain, Baal.
Games developed and/or published by Nippon Ichi Software
|Jigsaw Party||Super Nintendo Entertainment System||July 22, 1994||Prism Kikaku|
|Jigsaw World||PlayStation||February 3, 1995||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|The Oni Taiji: Mezase! Nidaime Momotarou||PlayStation||October 13, 1995||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Jigsaw Land: Japan Graffiti||PlayStation||September 13, 1996||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Souryu: Logical Mahjong||PlayStation||December 20, 1996||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Doki Doki Shutter Chance||PlayStation||October 23, 1997||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|SatelliTV||PlayStation||January 8, 1998||Yes|
|Cooking Fighter Hao||PlayStation||May 21, 1998||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure||PlayStation||December 17, 1998||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Logic Mahjong Souryu||PlayStation||May 5, 1999||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Little Princess: Marl Ōkoku no Ningyō Hime 2||PlayStation||November 25, 1999||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Tenshi no Present: Marl Ōkoku Monogatari||PlayStation 2||December 21, 2000||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Marl de Jigsaw||PlayStation 2||November 15, 2001||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|La Pucelle: Tactics||PlayStation 2||January 31, 2002||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|La Pucelle Ragnarok||PlayStation Portable||November 26, 2009||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Jigsaw Madness||PlayStation||December 1, 2002||Nippon Ichi Software|
|Disgaea: Hour of Darkness||PlayStation 2||January 30, 2003||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Marujan!!||April 23, 2004||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Phantom Brave||PlayStation 2||January 22, 2004||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes|
|Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana||PlayStation 2||May 27, 2004||Gust||Yes|
|Hayari Gami||August 5, 2004||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome||PlayStation 2||March 17, 2005||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes|
|Tristia of the Deep-Blue Sea||PlayStation 2||March 25, 2005||Kogado Studio||Yes|
|Generation of Chaos||PlayStation Portable||March 31, 2005||Idea Factory||Yes|
|Eien no Aseria: The Spirit of Eternity Sword||PlayStation 2||May 12, 2005||Xuse||Yes|
|Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny||PlayStation 2||May 26, 2005||Gust||Yes|
|Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love||PlayStation 2||July 7, 2005||Sega
|Hayarigami Revenge||PlayStation 2||July 14, 2005||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Rasetsu Alternative||PlayStation 2||October 13, 2005||Kogado Studio||Yes|
|Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories||PlayStation 2||February 23, 2006||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes|
|Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light||PlayStation Portable||March 2, 2006||Hit Maker||Yes|
|Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm||PlayStation 2||June 29, 2006||Gust||Yes|
|Soul Nomad & the World Eaters||PlayStation 2||February 15, 2007||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes|
|GrimGrimoire||PlayStation 2||April 12, 2007||Nippon Ichi Software
|Hayarigami 2||PlayStation 2||November 15, 2007||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica||PlayStation 2||October 25, 2007||Gust||Yes||Yes|
|Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice||PlayStation 3||January 31, 2008||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cross Edge||PlayStation 3||September 25, 2008||Idea Factory||Yes|
|Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?||PlayStation Portable||November 20, 2008||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|A Witch's Tale||Nintendo DS||May 28, 2009||Hit Maker||Yes||Yes|
|Trinity Universe||PlayStation 3||October 1, 2009||Gust
Nippon Ichi Software
|Disgaea Infinite||PlayStation Portable||November 1, 2009||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel||PlayStation 3||January 28, 2010||Gust
|Last Rebellion||PlayStation 3||January 28, 2010||Hit Maker
Nippon Ichi Software
|Cladun: This is an RPG||PlayStation Portable||February 18, 2010||System Prisma||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman||PlayStation Portable||March 11, 2010||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!||PlayStation Portable||March 25, 2010||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Blue Roses: Yousei to Aoi Hitomi no Senshitachi||PlayStation Portable||September 16, 2010||ApolloSoft||Yes|
|Hyperdimension Neptunia||PlayStation 3||August 19, 2010||Idea Factory
|Criminal Girls||PlayStation Portable||November 18, 2010||Image Epoch||Yes|
|Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten||PlayStation 3||February 24, 2011||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Way of the Samurai 4||PlayStation 3||March 3, 2011||Acquire||Yes|
|Bleach: Soul Resurrección||PlayStation 3||June 23, 2011||SCE Japan Studio||Yes||Yes|
|Legasista||PlayStation 3||March 15, 2012||System Prisma||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Mugen Souls||PlayStation 3||March 22, 2012||Compile Heart||Yes|
|Persona 4 Golden||PlayStation Vita||June 14, 2012||Atlus||Yes|
|Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan||Nintendo 3DS||July 5, 2012||Atlus||Yes|
|Special Report Division||PlayStation Vita||August 23, 2012||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|||
|Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers||Nintendo 3DS||August 30, 2012||Atlus||Yes|||
|Ys: Memories of Celceta||PlayStation Vita||September 27, 2012||Nihon Falcom Corporation||Yes|||
|Time and Eternity||PlayStation 3||October 11, 2012||Imageepoch
|The Guided Fate Paradox||PlayStation 3||January 24, 2013||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Disgaea Dimension 2||PlayStation 3||March 20, 2013||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Z/X||PlayStation 3||May 23, 2013||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|||
|Battle Princess of Arcadias||PlayStation 3||July 25, 2013||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|||
|Dragon's Crown||PlayStation 3||July 25, 2013||Vanillaware
|The Witch and The Hundred Knight||PlayStation 3||July 25, 2013||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|||
|Kamigami no Asobi: Ludere deorum||PlayStation Portable||October 24, 2013||Nippon Ichi Software||Yes|
|Demon Gaze||PlayStation Vita||January 23, 2014||Kadokawa Shoten||Yes||Yes|
|Hotaru no Nikki||PlayStation Vita||2014||Yes|||
Games published by NIS America
- Spectral Souls (Developed by Idea Factory) (Publisher) - PSP (09/26/06)
- Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia (Developed by Gust Corporation) (Publisher) - PS2 (2/7/2007)
- Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos (Developed by Idea Factory) - PSP (05/24/07)
- Dragoneer's Aria (Developed by Hit Maker) - PSP (08/21/07)
- Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis (Developed by Gust Corporation) - PS2 (03/31/08)
- Mana Khemia: Student Alliance - (Developed by Gust Corporation) (Publisher) - PSP (03/10/09)
- Puchi Puchi Virus - (Developed by KeysFactory) (Publisher) - DS (5/19/09)
- Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This? - (Developed by ACQUIRE) (Publisher) - PSP (07/16/09)
- Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days - (Developer) (Published by NIS America) - PSP (09/08/09)
- Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (Developed by Gust) - PS3 (9/28/10)
- Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (Developed by Gust) - PS3 (September 27, 2011)
- Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (November 8th, 2011)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 - PlayStation 3 (February 28, 2012)
- Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention - PlayStation Vita (April 17, 2012)
- Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland - PS3 (May 29, 2012)
- Clan of Champions - PS3/PC (November 20, 2012)
- Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection - PSP (February 19, 2013)
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 (March 21, 2013)
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Developed by Spike Chunsoft) - Vita (February 11, 2014)
- Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Developed by Spike Chunsoft) - Vita (Fall 2014)
- Makai Wars (Developer) - PS3, PSP
Nippon Ichi have begun to branch out into different media recently. Their first project is an anime based loosely on the story from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. The success of the Disgaea anime has influenced N1 to consider adapting some of their other properties to the small screen. Possible projects are La Pucelle, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom.
- Makai Senki Disgaea. 12 episodes total. Studio: Oriental Light and Magic.
- Eien no Aseria - The Spirit of the Eternity Sword. 2 episodes (OVA) total. Studio: Studio Matrix.
- Pandora Hearts. 25 episodes total. Studio: XEBEC.
- Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
- Arakawa Under the Bridge
- Brave 10
- Bunny Drop
- Chronicles of the Going Home Club
- Daily Lives of High School Boys
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
- Dororon Enma-kun (2011 series)
- Fuse Teppō Musume no Torimonochō
- Genshiken Nidaime
- Hanasaku Iroha
- House of Five Leaves
- Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara
- Kimi ni Todoke
- Love Live!
- Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea
- Natsume's Book of Friends
- Nekogami Yaoyorozu
- Nyaruko: Crawling With Love
- Otome Yōkai Zakuro
- Pandora Hearts
- Persona: Trinity Soul
- Occult Academy
- Our Home's Fox Deity.
- The Pilot's Love Song
- The Princess and the Pilot
- Umineko: When They Cry
Toys and figurines
- "NIS, America Inc. -- About NISA". NIS, America Inc. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "NIS Company History". Nippon Ichi Software Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "NIS Company Summary". Nippon Ichi Software Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "RPGLand.com Best of 2009 Awards". RPGLand.com. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- Kurt Kalata (2006). "NIS games at Hardcore Gaming 101". Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved January 2, 2010.
- Brian Ashcraft. "Nippon Ichi Software, This Can’t Be Good (Part II)". Kotaku.
- "NISAmerica Site". NIS America.
- 2014-03-11, Nippon Ichi announces Hotaru no Nikki for PS Vita, Gematsu
- "NIS AMERICA TO RELEASE ANIME TITLES IN NORTH AMERICA!" (PDF). NIS America. February 12, 2010. Retrieved July 01, 2012.
- "NIS America to Release Anime Titles in North America". Anime News Network.
- Official website (Japanese)
- Official website (NIS America) (English)
- Nippon Ichi Software at MobyGames
- Nippon Ichi Strategy games at Hardcore Gaming 101
- Tokidoki Journal's Interview with Tenpei Sato
- Tokidoki Journal's Interview with Souhei Niikawa
- Tokidoki Journal's Interview with Takehito Harada