National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations
|National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations|
|Organization type||Trade association|
The National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO) is an umbrella council for 20 Latino Greek Letter Organizations established in 1998. The purpose of NALFO is to promote and foster positive interfraternal relations, communication, and development of all Latino fraternal organizations through mutual respect, leadership, honesty, professionalism and education.
Established in 1998, the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, set out to become the uniting force for Latin-based fraternities and sororities. Latino organizations had developed in different parts of the United States in their early years, and this created difficulties for the organizations to find information on their peer groups in an effort to come together. As a result, two different umbrella organizations evolved, the ConcÌlio Nacional de Hermandades Latinas, which primarily consisted of fraternities and sororities on the east coast, and NALFO which primarily consisted of fraternities and sororities that originated on the west coast. In the winter of 2001 the two groups merged under the NALFO name and made history in developing one umbrella organization for all Latin-based fraternities and sororities.
Former Member organizations
Some other organizations have at one time been affiliated with NALFO.
|Organization||Type||Membership Start||Membership End||Reason for Membership End|
|Nu Alpha Kappa||Fraternity||1998||December 2008||None given.|
|Omega Delta Phi||Fraternity||1998, June 2001||June 2000, December 2008||None given.|
|Alpha Rho Lambda||Sorority||1998||October 2006||Removed due to non-participation & insurance requirements.|
|Sigma Lambda Sigma||Sorority||September 1999||October 2004||Removed due to defunct status.|
|Beta Lambda Delta||Fraternity||September 1999||October 2004||Removed due to defunct status.|
|Sigma Delta Alpha||Fraternity||April 2005||May 2006||Removed due to non-participation & insurance requirement.|
|Sigma Lambda Beta||Fraternity||October 2003||March 2010||Left due to NALFO's increasing regulatory nature (i.e. Intake, GPA and Membership criteria, etc.).|
|Sigma Lambda Gamma||Sorority||January 2001||May 2010||Left due to a desire for autonomy and due to SLG's increasing multicultural membership.|
- List of Latino Greek-letter organizations
- Concilio Interfraternitario Puertorriqueño de la Florida
- National APIA Panhellenic Association
- National Multicultural Greek Council
- National Pan-Hellenic Council
- National Panhellenic Conference
- North-American Interfraternity Conference
- Founding Member of NALFO.
- Member of the North-American Interfraternity Conference.
- "NALFO membership update". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- ODPhi withdrew from NALFO on June 2000 in order to join the Latino Fraternal Council. When LFC disappeared on June 2001, ODPhi rejoined NALFO. However, 7 years later, ODPhi decided to once again end its membership.
- "NALFO National Website – Documents". Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Associate member of NALFO.
- "SLB's NALFO membership status". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Sigma Lambda Beta President Sam Centallas explains leaving NALFO". Retrieved 2010-03-06.
- "SLG's NALFO membership status". Retrieved 2011-02-21.