Lambda Pi Chi
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2007)|
|Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc.|
|Founded||April 16, 1988
|Emphasis||La Cultura Latina, La Comunidad and La Hermandad|
|Vision statement||A lifetime network of Hermanas dedicated to empowering themselves and their communities.|
|Motto||La Hermandad Nunca Termina|
|Colors||Red, Gold, Black and White|
|Headquarters||Grand Central Station, P.O. Box 5122
New York, New York, USA
Lambda Pi Chi Sorority (ΛΠΧ) (also known as Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc.) is a Latina- based, but not Latina-exclusive Greek letter intercollegiate sorority founded on April 16, 1988 at Cornell University.
Founded at Cornell University in the late '80s by women.
The organization is a member of the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO).
The first Latina-focused sorority founded at an Ivy-league institution, Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad /Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc. was established on April 16, 1988 at Cornell University by Patricia Rivera, Maria Caban, Eva Marie Sosa, Migdalia Franklin and Irma Almirall-Padamsee.
Lambda Pi Chi currently has 22 Undergraduate Chapters and 9 Professional/Graduate Chapters:
Gamma Chapter- SUNY Albany
Delta Chapter- New York University
Zeta Chapter- Syracuse University
Eta Chapter- Wesleyan University
Theta Chapter- George Washington University
Kappa Chapter- Duke University
Mu Chapter- George Mason University
Xi Chapter- St. John's University
Omicron Chapter- University of Delaware
Pi Chapter- Letter reserved for Professional/Graduate chapters.
Rho Chapter- North Carolina State University
Sigma Chapter- Johns Hopkins University
Tau Chapter- Union College
Upsilon Chapter- Long Island University C. W. Post Campus
Phi Chapter- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chi Chapter- University of Chicago
Psi Chapter - St. Thomas Aquinas College
Omega Chapter- Reserved for deceased Hermanas
Professional/ Graduate Chapters
Pi Alpha- New York, NY
Pi Beta- Washington, DC
Pi Gamma- Miami, FL
Pi Delta- Upstate NY Region
Pi Epsilon- Rochester, NY
Pi Zeta- Southern California, CA
Pi Eta- New Jersey
Pi Theta- Boston, MA
Pi Iota- North Carolina
Pi Kappa- Long Island, NY
- Awilda Martinez Rodriguez: Vice-President. Awilda is currently Vice President, Health East Region for MAXIMUS, Inc., a leading operator of government health and human services programs in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Saudi Arabia.
- Jennifer Mauskapf: Attorney. Partner of Brustein & Manasevit, PLLC, a Washington, DC-based law firm nationally recognized for its federal education regulatory and legislative practice. Ms. Mauskapf successfully represented the State of New Mexico before the United States Supreme Court in an agency deference case related to the Impact Aid Program (Zuni Publi c School District 89 v. U.S. Department of Education).
- Luivette Resto: Writer. Published two books: :Unfinished Portrait and :Ascension.
- Marinieves Alba: Activitist and Author. Marinieves has produced cultural events and media throughout the United States and Latin America for institutions including but not limited to the Franklin H. Williams Caribbean Cultural Center/Africa Diaspora Institute, The Hip Hop Theater Festival/International Hip Hop Exchange (IHX), WBAI/Pacifica Radio, and her moniker The Zol Lab. Marinieves has received numerous honors recognizing her contributions to youth arts, media and activism from the Open Society Institute/Soros Foundation and the GAEA Foundation, among others. She is a co-editor and contributor to Women Warriors of the Afro-Latina Diaspora (Arte Publico Press, 2012), a ground breaking anthology which documents the experiences and contributions of Afro-Latinas to shaping social justice struggles throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Manuela Arciniegas: Drummer, Songwriter, Singer and Dancer. Manuela specializes in Afro-Dominican and Afro-Puerto Rican traditional music. She is the recipient of the 2008 Urban Artist Initiative for her work as a female traditional drummer and songwriter. She has performed at venues such as Symphony Space, The Apollo Theater, Lincoln Center of out Doors, Queens Theater in the Park, and various others.
- Patricia Campos: National Activist. Patricia has served as National Assistant Political Director for SEIU, National Political Director for Workers United (the former UNITE), NJ Political Director for the hotel & restaurant workers union UNITEHERE; National Legislative Director for the union UNITE and National Deputy Director for the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA). Because of her unique expertise on trade policy and labor rights, Patricia has served as a Labor Representative in the USTR Labor Advisory Committee and as a member of President Obama’s Transition Team for Trade at USTR in 2008. She currently serves as a Board Member of PODER PAC, and the NJ LUPE PAC. She has been appointed to serve on Board and Commissions such as the NJ Casino Reinvestment Development Authority, the Port Security Commission of the NY-NJ Port Authority and the NJ Economic Growth Council. Additionally, she served as a Board Member of the CHCI (Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute), Latinas United for Political Empowerment (LUPE Fund), the New Jersey Immigration Policy Network, NJ Citizen Action, Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA), and the SHARE Foundation.
- Patricia Dominguez: Veterinary Dentist. She was among the first, and remains one of the few, to become a credentialed Veterinary Dental Specialist through the Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians. Patricia has also lectured around the country on topics ranging from veterinary dental awareness for the general public to improving standards of dental programs at each animal hospital. She is a co-contributor of the veterinary dental textbook ‘Small Animal Dental Procedures for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses’, which was published in November 2012.
- Priscilla Townsend: Singer and Songwriter. Priscilla has performed in numerous venues and has also released her first album, Chasing Sleep in 2012.