Never Had a Lot to Lose
|"Never Had a Lot to Lose"|
|Single by Cheap Trick|
|from the album Lap of Luxury|
|B-side||"All We Need is a Dream"|
|Genre||Rock, Power Pop|
|Writer(s)||Robin Zander, Tom Petersson|
|Cheap Trick singles chronology|
"Never Had a Lot to Lose" is a 1989 single from American rock band Cheap Trick, released as the fourth single from their 1988 album Lap of Luxury. The song was written by Robin Zander and Tom Petersson, the only song from the album to not feature outside songwriters.
The single was released as a 7" vinyl in America only.
The b-side "All We Need is a Dream" was featured on the same album, written by American rock keyboardist Gregg Giuffria, Rick Nielsen and Robin Zander. For the single, the b-side was slightly edited, reduced by 42 seconds.
No artwork was created for the single.
Considered as the band's comeback album following the commercial failure of the 1986 album The Doctor, Lap of Luxury spawned three top 40 hit singles and one minor hit single. "The Flame" topped the American Billboard Hot 100 whilst a cover of Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel" peaked at #4. "Never Had a Lot to Lose" managed to peak at #75 for a total of 6 weeks in early 1989.
A music video was created for the single, receiving some airplay on MTV.
Track listing 
- 7" Single
- "Never Had a Lot to Lose" - 3:22
- "All We Need is a Dream" - 3:40
Critical reception 
In the review for the album Lap of Luxury, allmusic.com described the song as a "Catchy hard rocker."
Chart performance 
|US Billboard Hot 100 Chart||75|
- Robin Zander - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Rick Nielsen - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Tom Petersson - bass, backing vocals
- Bun E. Carlos - drums, percussion
Additional personnel 
- Richie Zito - Producer
- Phil Kaffel - Engineer, mixer
- Jim Champagne - Second engineer
- Bernard Frings - Second engineer
- Mike Tacci - Second engineer
- Bob Vogt - Second engineer
- Toby Wright - Second engineer
- Writers of "Never Had a Lot to Lose" – Robin Zander, Tom Petersson
- Writers of "All We Need is a Dream" - Gregg Giuffria, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander
- "Cheap Trick - Lap Of Luxury at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - Never Had A Lot To Lose (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - Busted at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Never Had A Lot To Lose - Cheap Trick". YouTube. 2009-07-04. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Cheap Trick - Silver at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Huey, Steve. "Lap of Luxury - Cheap Trick". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-03-11.