Blackman wearing a Reading kit
|Full name||Nicholas Alexander Blackman|
|Date of birth||11 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Salford, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2009||→ Blackpool (loan)||5||(1)|
|2009–2010||→ Oldham Athletic (loan)||12||(1)|
|2010||→ Motherwell (loan)||18||(10)|
|2011||→ Aberdeen (loan)||15||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:19, 21 November 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Nicholas Alexander "Nick" Blackman (born 11 November 1989) is a professional English footballer who plays as a striker for Reading. Born in Salford, Greater Manchester he started his career at Macclesfield Town before moving to Premier League Blackburn Rovers. After 3 years at Blackburn Rovers he was sold to Sheffield United for an undisclosed sum. After scoring 11 goals in only 6 months at Sheffield United, he signed a 3-and-a-half-year contract with Premier Club Reading F.C. He has also spent time on loan at Blackpool, Oldham Athletic, Motherwell and Aberdeen.
Blackman attended Phillips High School in Manchester. Blackman is eligible to represent England, Barbados, Israel, Netherlands and Poland, at international level. From the age of eight Blackman attended Manchester United Academies for five years and also Bury and Preston North End academies.
Blackman was signed by Macclesfield Town in Summer 2006. After a string of impressive displays for the youth team Blackman signed his first professional contract at Macclesfield Town FC on 8 March 2007. After making his league debut against Accrington Stanley his hopes of regular first team football were dashed by a pre-season injury that kept him out of action for several months.
Blackman scored his debut goal for Macclesfield Town FC in a 1–1 home draw with Dagenham & Redbridge on 23 November 2007, when after coming on as a substitute, Blackman scored in the 90th minute. Blackman made a total of 12 appearances, mostly as a substitute, for the Silkmen, scoring one goal.
Blackman joined Premier League club Blackburn Rovers on 12 January 2009, after impressing in a trial, for an undisclosed fee on a two-and-a-half-year contract. Blackman scored two goals in his first two games for the club's reserve team.
On 4 March, Blackman joined Championship club Blackpool on loan initially for one month. Blackman made his debut later that same day as a 65th minute substitute in a 0–1 home loss to Burnley at Bloomfield Road. After two substitution appearances, Blackman scored on his full debut, a 2–2 draw with Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on 10 March.
On 20 August 2009, Blackman joined Oldham Athletic on a month's loan. Two days later, Blackman made his Latics debut in a 2–2 draw versus Swindon Town, playing the full 90 minutes. His first goal for the club came on 29 August when Blackman curled a shot into the net from the edge of the area for Oldham's only goal in a 1–1 draw against Brentford. His loan period was extended until January 2010 after which Blackman returned to Blackburn.
Motherwell & Aberdeen (loan)
Blackman joined Scottish Premier League club Motherwell on a six-month loan on 13 August 2010 and scored 10 goals in 18 games in total which, included a hat trick in a 4–0 win over St Johnstone in November 2010. On 13 January 2011, former Motherwell manager Craig Brown signed Blackman for Aberdeen on loan for six months.
Return to Blackburn Rovers
Blackman returned to Blackburn Rovers at the end of his loan spell. During the Premier League Asia Trophy match against Kitchee of Hong Kong, Blackman came off the bench for Blackburn Rovers winning and converting a penalty in a 3–0 win.
Blackman signed for Sheffield United, on 10 August 2012, a two-year-deal for an undisclosed fee after turning down offers from Championship clubs. Blackman scored his first goal for the Blades with his first touch in a League Cup game against Burton Albion at Bramall Lane on 11 August 2012. Blackman played regularly for the Blades throughout the first half of the season, making 33 appearances and scoring 14 goals by the end of January. By this time however Blackman was attracting interest from other clubs and was the subject of bids from both Crystal Palace and Reading and despite United accepting offers from both clubs, Blackman rejected a move to Palace.
On 30 January 2013, Blackman signed for Premier League side Reading for an undisclosed fee, rumoured to be around £1,200,000, on a three-and-a-half-year contract. Blackman made his debut on 2 February, replacing Pavel Pogrebnyak in the 72nd minute of a 2–1 win against Sunderland.
Club career statistics
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Macclesfield Town||2006–07||League Two||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
|Blackburn Rovers||2008–09||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||—||0||0|
|Oldham Athletic (loan)||2009–10||League One||12||1||0||0||0||0||1[a]||0||13||1|
|Sheffield United||2012–13||League One||28||11||4||2||1||1||0||0||33||14|
- "Motherwell rookie Nick Blackman takes inspiration from hero Rooney for Euro debut". dailyrecord.co.uk. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Caro, Danny (14 January 2009). "Blackman in a league of his own". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Caro, Danny (8 October 2009). "Not quite a minyan, but Oldham are the real Jewish deal". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- "Nick Blackman: I'd love to win international caps after playing at Jewish Olympics". Daily record. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Young striker nets Silkmen deal". BBC Sport. 8 March 2007. Retrieved 4 March 2009.
- "Profile – Nick Blackman". Macclesfield Town FC. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Macclesfield 1–1 Dag & Red". BBC Sport. 23 November 2007. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Allardyce brings in Macc striker". BBC Sport. 12 January 2009. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "New face in Blackpool Squad". Blackpool FC. 3 March 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2009.
- "Blackpool vs Burnly Match Report". Blackpool FC. 3 March 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2009.
- "Sheff Utd 2–2 Blackpool". BBC Sport. 10 March 2009. Retrieved 8 September 2009.
- "Latics land Rovers striker". Sky Sports. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 20 August 2009.
- "Oldham 2–2". BBC Sport. 22 August 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Oldham 1–1 Brentford". BBC Sport. 29 August 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Blackman checks out of Boundary Park". Yahoo! Eurosport. 4 January 2010.
- "Motherwell sign Blackburn forward Nick Blackman on loan". BBC Sport. 13 August 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- "Aberdeen sign Nick Blackman and Robert Milsom". BBC Sport. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "Blackman signs for Sheffield United". Blackburn Rovers. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Nick Kops it for a second time". Sheffield United FC Official Web Site. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Games played by Nick Blackman in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Blackman snubs £1.2m switch to Crystal Palace after Sheffield United accept improved bid". Mail Online. 27 January 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Reading sign Nick Blackman from Sheffield United". Sky Sports. 30 January 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Reading 2–1 Sunderland" BBC Sport. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- "Nick Blackman Career Stats". Soccerbase. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "2010–11 Motherwell FC Europa League statistics". UEFA. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Blackman.|