Nieuport-Delage NiD 30
|Introduction||Compagnie générale transaérienne|
The Nieuport-Delage NiD 30 was a French airliner which entered service in 1920. It was a conventional biplane design with an enclosed cabin that seated four passengers and an open cockpit for the pilot. Provision was also made for a wireless transmitter, receiver, and operator. Seven examples were operated by Compagnie générale transaérienne on its Paris–London route on twice-daily return services.
Following the loss of one of these machines in thick fog over the Channel on 27 April 1920, the remaining NiD-30s were fitted with an early audible guidance system. However, after a number of further accidents, these were withdrawn from service in February 1921.
A larger, six-passenger variant with sesquiplane wings was developed as the NiD 30T2 and displayed at the 1921 Salon de l'Aéronautique, but this was not produced when testing revealed problems with the design.
- NiD 30T1 - four-passenger production version with Sunbeam Matabele engine (7 built)
- NiD 30T2 - six-passenger version with Darracq 12A engine (1 built)
Specifications (NiD 30T1)
Data from aviafrance.com
- Crew: One pilot
- Capacity: 4 passengers
- Length: 10.80 m (35 ft 2 in)
- Wingspan: 13.20 m (43 ft 3 in)
- Height: 4.00 m (13 ft 2 in)
- Wing area: 65.0 m2 (699 ft2)
- Empty weight: 1,800 kg (3,960 lb)
- Gross weight: 2,580 kg (5,680 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Sunbeam Matabele, 260 kW (350 hp)
- Maximum speed: 172 km/h (108 mph)
- Range: 420 km (260 miles)
- Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,000 ft)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nieuport.|
- Hartmann, Gérard (2006). "Les avions Nieuport-Delage". La Coupe Schneider et hydravions anciens/Dossiers historiques hydravions et moteurs. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft. London: Aerospace Publishing.
- Parmentier, Bruno. "Nieuport-Delage NiD-30T1". Aviafrance - Un siècle d'aviation française. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions. ISBN 0-7106-0710-5.