||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
Blonsky at the Slim-Fast fashion show, January 8, 2008
|Born||Nicole Margaret Blonsky
November 9, 1988
Great Neck, New York, USA
|Occupation||Actress, singer, dancer|
Nicole Margaret "Nikki" Blonsky (born November 9, 1988) is an American actress, singer and dancer. She is best known for her role as Tracy Turnblad in the 2007 film Hairspray and as Maggie Baker in the 2008 television movie Queen Sized. She is also known for her starring role in the ABC Family original series Huge.
Blonsky was raised in Great Neck, New York, in Nassau County on Long Island. She is the daughter of Karen (née Smeja), a school aide of Czech and Irish descent, and Carl Blonsky, a municipal worker for the village water pollution control district. She began singing at age three and started taking vocal lessons at the age of eight. Blonsky was raised Catholic, although her father is Jewish.
Blonsky attended Great Neck North Middle School, and attended John L. Miller Great Neck North High School for one year. Then she switched to Village School, an alternative high school with only 50 students. After school each day, she would attend the after-school theater program at William A. Shine Great Neck South High School (even though she originally went to school at Great Neck North), where she participated in productions of Les Misérables, Sweeney Todd, Kiss Me, Kate and, in the title role, the opera Carmen. Village School students often participate in after school activities at either North or South, because these activities are limited at the Village School.
In July 2008, Blonsky and her parents were involved in a violent confrontation with the family of Bianca Golden, a former contestant on America's Next Top Model, at the Providenciales International Airport in the Turks and Caicos. The Blonsky and Golden families reportedly fought over seats in the airport’s departure area, leading to a brawl which left Golden’s mother hospitalized. Golden, Blonsky, and Blonsky’s father Carl were all charged with assault. The charges against Blonsky were dropped in January 2009.
Blonsky said that she yearned to play the role of Tracy Turnblad since seeing Hairspray on Broadway on her 15th birthday. In 2007, while working at Cold Stone Creamery, she found out she had been cast in John Waters' 2007 film adaptation.
Blonsky began work on her debut album in September 2007 and collaborated with alternative rock musician Duncan Sheik on a number of tracks.. Her first single, "On a High", a cover of one of Sheik's songs, was featured in Blonsky's Lifetime Original Movie Queen Sized. On December 18, 2007, she performed with the Turtle Creek Chorale in her first solo performance.
In 2009, Blonsky made a guest appearance on Ugly Betty, in the episode "Dressed for Success." Blonsky also co-starred in the MTV mystery series Valemont in 2009. She later starred in the short lived ABC Family series Huge, which premiered in June 2010, but was canceled three months later.
|2009||Ace of Cakes||Herself||Episode: "The Eagle Has Landed"|
|2009||Ugly Betty||Teri O'Shaughnessy||Episode: "Dressed for Success"|
|2009||Valemont||Poppie||Main Cast; 19 episodes|
|2010||Huge||Will Rader||10 episodes
Nominated – Teen Choice Awards for Choice Summer TV Star: Female
|2011||Rocco's Dinner Party||Herself||Episode: "Runway Ready"|
- "Movies – News – Zac Efron prepares for 'Hairspray' – Digital Spy". Digitalspy.co.uk. November 7, 2008. Retrieved November 7, 2008.
- Kahn, Robert (July 15, 2007). "Nikki Blonsky's career takes hold with 'Hairspray'". New York's CW 11. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. (July 8, 2007). "The Big Time; For 'Hairspray' Star". The New York Times. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Bloom, Nate (July 10, 2007). "She's the Man: A Q&A with Amanda Bynes". Interfaith Family. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. "For ‘Hairspray’ Star, ‘My Darn Dream Come True’", The New York Times, July 8, 2007. Accessed July 11, 2007.
- Michelle Tauber (October 9, 2008). "Nikki Blonsky: Airport Brawl Left Me 'Destroyed'". People Magazine. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Bridget Daly (January 9, 2009). "Nikki Blonsky Cleared Of Assault Charges". Hollyscoop.com. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Nikki Blonsky: No beauty school dropout Newsday December 12, 2011
- Fox, Michael (July 19, 2007). "ARTS: Welcome To The '60s". The Detroit Jewish News. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Nikki Blonsky to Stir Up Trouble for Ugly Betty" TV Guide. November 4, 2008. Retrieved on November 5, 2008.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 22, 2010). "Nikki Blonsky to star in ABC Family's 'Huge'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- Barton, Chris (September 17, 2012). "'Smash' adds Broadway vets Nikki Blonsky, Jesse L. Martin". latimes.com. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Nikki Blonsky at the Internet Movie Database
- Nikki Blonsky at AllMovie
- Nikki's MySpace page
- "17 Year-Old Nikki Blonsky Cast as Hairspray Film's Tracy", BroadwayWorld.com, June 8, 2006
- "Breaking News: Unknown Lands Hairspray Lead", Cinematical.com, June 8, 2006
- "A ‘Hairspray’ dream come true", MSNBC/Access Hollywood, June 15, 2006